Professional Placement 2023-24
School of Environmental & Natural Sciences
Module - Semester 1
The practical element of the module comprises a minimum of 140 hours during the summer vacation between the second and third (final) years. The placement must be approved by the module team and the Health and Safety Manager for COESE . The module team will monitor progress during the placement period. During the first semester of the final year, students attend a post-placement meeting and compulsory workshops with the module team and submit a placement portfolio as the assignment for the module.
-threshold -Grade D- to D+ Portfolio describes the placement organisation, explains the work done by the student while on placement, and shows some attempt at self-reflection. -good -Grade C- to B+Portfolio describes the placement organisation and explains its position in its sector, explains in detail the work done by the student while on placement, makes some suggestions for improvement at organisational and personal levels, and shows engagement with the process of self-reflection. -excellent -Grade A- to A** Portfolio describes the placement organisation in detail, evaluates its position in its sector, explains in detail the work done by the student while on placement, makes critical and constructive suggestions for improvement at organisational and personal levels, and shows thoughtful engagement with the process of self-reflection.
- • Describe in detail one area of the organisation's activities (if possible, one in which they were directly involved during the placement) and make suggestions for improvements in this area
- • Evaluate the position of the placement organisation in its sector
- • Explain the history, current activities and current structure of the organisation in which they spent their placement
- • Reflect on their placement performance in terms of their strengths, weaknesses, personal skills and skills deficiencies
- • Review their own contribution to this area of activity and to the organisation more generally
Logbook Or Portfolio
This is a reflective portfolio which comprises five sections and forms 100% of the assessment. Within this students are asked contextualise the placement and evaluate their own performance in relation to the agreements outlined in the placement form submitted and their own goals articulated prior to the placement.