About This Course
This Applied Cyber Security Degree Apprenticeship provides an innovative and flexible way to study for degree whilst remaining in employment. The degree course is available to employees only. Teaching is delivered one day per week at Grŵp Llandrillo Menai for the first two years, and at Bangor University for the final year.
This degree has been developed in conjunction with industry to make sure that the curriculum is relevant to the requirements of the IT Sector and workforce development. It covers the full breadth of Cyber Security, combining traditional academic teaching with work-based learning.
This pathway looks to equip the modern network technician with the skills required to manage and secure computer systems. A range of skills are developed including programming skills using Python, introduction to networks using CISCO CCNA courses, legislation surrounding the management of computer system and the management and security of websites. In the final year there is a project: Advanced Security Solution, along with formal Cryptography mathematics, Penetration Testing, with Software development and Enterprise Java.
If you are looking for a University course that it relevant to the IT sector and can be completed whilst you work, then this BSc in Applied Cyber Security Apprenticeship Degree is an ideal option. The degree programme benefits you by furthering your knowledge and career opportunities, whilst also furthering the success of your employer.
Completion of the first two years of the programme offers the opportunity of being awarded an FdSc degree as an exit qualification, which itself is accredited under the Higher Apprenticeship Framework through Tech Partnership, the Sector Skills Council for IT.
Students will usually undertake academic study for one day and one evening per week for three years.
For the first two years, our digital degree apprenticeship programmes are usually undertaken at colleges in either Deeside and Wrexham or Rhos-on-sea, and our engineering degree apprenticeship programmes are taught at colleges in Llangefni or Rhos-on-Sea. The final year of the apprenticeship teaching will be at Bangor University.
Why choose Bangor University for this course?
- This course is fully-funded by the Higher Education Council for Wales, this means you can gain a degree without any debt and your employer gains a member of staff with more skills that are directly related to the business.
- The contribution your employer must make is to release you from work to attend college/university one day per week.
- You remain in employment while you study for your degree. Students on this course will start at an entry point that is most appropriate to them, based on relevant experience or previous education. This means you will not be asked to repeat previous achievement, rather build upon existing knowledge and extend your future potential.
- Students who undertake this programme will benefit from being able to increase their skills and progress in their career. This course will ultimately enable you to help your employer’s business develop.
- You will have access to all the resources available at college and university, giving you the flexibility of two dynamic learning environments.
The Applied Cyber Security Degree Apprenticeship is delivered through interactive lectures, tutorials and workshops. There will also be presentations by guest speakers. Learning is practical and informal. You’ll be assessed through a variety of methods such as practical and theoretical assignments, reports, oral presentations, project work, portfolios and team-based assignments.
Modules for the current academic year
Module listings are for guide purposes only and are subject to change. Find out what our students are currently studying on the Applied Cyber Security Degree Apprenticeship BSc (Hons) Modules page.
Course content is for guidance purposes only and may be subject to change.
Computer Science facilities
- Large, fully equipped computing laboratories and all the latest software.
- A recently installed immersive technologies laboratory, where the latest devices are used for project and research work.
- A recently installed large networking laboratory to provide students with the opportunity to design and administer networks and for the teaching of computer architecture modules.
General University Facilities
Library and Archive Services
Our four libraries provide a range of attractive study environments including collaborative work areas, meeting rooms and silent study spaces.
We have an extensive collection of books and journals and many of the journals are available online in full-text format.
We house one of the largest university-based archives not only in Wales, but also the UK. Allied to the Archives is the Special Collections of rare printed books.
There is a range of learning resources available, supported by experienced staff, to help you in your studies.
The University’s IT Services provides computing, media and reprographics facilities and services including:
- Over 1,150 computers for students, with some PC rooms open 24 hours a day
- Blackboard, a commercial Virtual Learning Environment, that makes learning materials available on-line.
This Applied Cyber Security Degree Apprenticeship is fully funded, subject to confirmation from HEFCW, which covers the full course tuition fees of £27,000 (i.e., £9000 per year per student over 3 years).
Fees may be increased in subsequent years of study by an inflationary amount determined by Welsh Government. The tuition fees do not cover the costs of purchasing books or stationery, printing, thesis binding or photocopying costs.
There are no mandatory additional costs for this course.
- Apprentices need to be in either full or part-time employment (minimum 16 hours a week) in the relevant employment.
- All applicants will be considered on a case by case basis and will be expected to attend an informal interview.
How to Apply
For all Degree Apprenticeships, apply directly with the help of our Guidance Notes.
Once you have read the Guidance Notes you should apply using our Online Application form.