Customer Insight Project
Rhedir gan Bangor Business School
20.000 Credydau neu 10.000 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Prof Edward Shiu
To complete an extended marketing research activity focusing on key marketing outcomes, and to make relevant recommendations to relevant stakeholders. To build on marketing concepts studied in earlier modules in the degree programme. To acquire and develop quantitative (SPSS) data analysis skills applied to survey data.
Topics may include but will not be limited to: Issues in undertaking market research activities; Development and administration of fieldwork for quantitative customer survey; Analysis of quantitative survey data; Reporting and presentation of strategic recommendations.
D- to D+ (40-49%): No major omissions or inaccuracies in the deployment of information/skills. Some grasp of theoretical/conceptual/practical elements. Integration of theory/practice/information present intermittently in pursuit of the assessed work's objectives.
A- to A+ (70%+): Outstanding Performance. The relevant information accurately deployed. Excellent grasp of theoretical/conceptual/practice elements. Good integration of theory/practice/information in pursuit of the assessed work's objectives. Strong evidence of the use of creative and reflective skills.
C- i C+
C- to C+ (50-59%): Much of the relevant information and skills mostly accurately deployed. Adequate grasp of theoretical/conceptual/practical elements. Fair integration of theory/practice/information in the pursuit of the assessed work's objectives. Some evidence of the use of creative and reflective skills.
B- to B+ (60-69%): Very good performance Most of the relevant information accurately deployed. Good grasp of theoretical/conceptual/practical elements. Good integration of theory/practice/information in pursuit of the assessed work's objectives. Evidence of the use of creative and reflective skills.
Analyse marketing environments
Conduct statistical analyses on quantitative survey data via SPSS
Specify marketing research problems with associated aim(s) and objectives of the research
Undertake data collection to address specific research questions in fulfilment of the objectives of the research
Assess customer perceptions and motivations
Formulate, deliver and present strategic responses for key stakeholders.
|REPORT||Individual Report Plan||
Students are required to complete a Report Plan specifying the aim(s) and objectives of the research as well as an outline of the data collection method and analyses to be conducted in fully addressing the objectives. An initial descriptive analysis of the data will be required and reported in the Report Plan.
|REPORT||Individual Final Report||
The individual final report should be a stand-alone document containing all necessary information regarding the whole marketing research project.
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
Background reading; Data collection; Data entry; Additional data analysis beyond SPSS timetabled lab hours; Write up Report Plan and Final Report.
Two-hour lecture per week delivered over 8 weeks. Health and safety issues related to undertaking the project will be covered.
SPSS lab - 2 hours lab sessions delivered over 10 weeks
- Literacy - Proficiency in reading and writing through a variety of media
- Numeracy - Proficiency in using numbers at appropriate levels of accuracy
- Computer Literacy - Proficiency in using a varied range of computer software
- Self-Management - Able to work unsupervised in an efficient, punctual and structured manner. To examine the outcomes of tasks and events, and judge levels of quality and importance
- Exploring - Able to investigate, research and consider alternatives
- Information retrieval - Able to access different and multiple sources of information
- Inter-personal - Able to question, actively listen, examine given answers and interact sentistevely with others
- Critical analysis & Problem Solving - Able to deconstruct and analyse problems or complex situations. To find solutions to problems through analyses and exploration of all possibilities using appropriate methods, rescources and creativity.
- Safety-Consciousness - Having an awareness of your immediate environment, and confidence in adhering to health and safety regulations
- Presentation - Able to clearly present information and explanations to an audience. Through the written or oral mode of communication accurately and concisely.
- Management - Able to utilise, coordinate and control resources (human, physical and/or financial)
- Self-awareness & Reflectivity - Having an awareness of your own strengths, weaknesses, aims and objectives. Able to regularly review, evaluate and reflect upon the performance of yourself and others
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- Problem solving and critical analysis: analysing facts and circumstances to determine the cause of a problem and identifying and selecting appropriate solutions.
- Research: the ability to analyse and evaluate a range of business data, sources of information and appropriate methodologies, which includes the need for strong digital literacy, and to use that research for evidence-based decision-making.
- Commercial acumen: based on an awareness of the key drivers for business success, causes of failure and the importance of providing customer satisfaction and building customer loyalty.
- Numeracy: the use of quantitative skills to manipulate data, evaluate, estimate and model business problems, functions and phenomena.
- Ability to work with people from a range of cultures.
- Articulating and effectively explaining information.
- Building and maintaining relationships.
- Communication and listening including the ability to produce clear, structured business communications in a variety of media.
- Conceptual and critical thinking, analysis, synthesis and evaluation.
- Self-management: a readiness to accept responsibility and flexibility, to be resilient, self-starting and appropriately assertive, to plan, organise and manage time.
- Self reflection: self-analysis and an awareness/sensitivity to diversity in terms of people and cultures. This includes a continuing appetite for development.
Rhestr ddarllen Talishttp://readinglists.bangor.ac.uk/modules/asb-3119.html
Textbook: 1. Field A. (2018) Discovering statistics using IBM SPSS statistics, Sage Publications. 2. Malhotra, N. (2014). Basic Marketing Research, 4th edition. Pearson Education. 3. Malhotra, N., Nunan, D. and Birks, D. (2017). Marketing Research: An Applied Approach, 5th edition. Pearson. 4. Bradley, N. (2013). Marketing Research Tools & Techniques, 3rd edition. Oxford. 5. Field A. (2005, 2009, 2012, or 2013) Discovering Statistics Using SPSS, Sage Publications. 6. Hair, J.F. Jr., Bush, R.P. and Ortinau, D.J. (2000) Marketing research: a practical approach for the new Millennium, Boston: Irwin/McGraw-Hill. 7. Janssens, W., Wijnen, K., De Pelsmacker, P. and Van Kenhove, P. (2008) Marketing research with SPSS, Harlow, England; New York: Prentice Hall/Financial Times. Journal articles: 1. Hassan, L.M. and Shiu, E. (2007), “Gender differences in low risk single-occasion drinking: An application of the theory of planned behaviour,” International Journal of Consumer Studies, 31 (4), 317-325. 2. Kumar, V. and Reinartz, W. (2016), “Creating enduring customer value,” Journal of Marketing, 80, 36-68. 3. McGowan, M., Shiu, E., and Hassan, L.M. (2017). The influence of social identity on value perceptions and intention. Journal of Consumer Behaviour, 16(3), 242-253. 4. Sweeney, J.C. and Soutar, G.N. (2001) Consumer perceived value: The development of a multiple item scale, Journal of Retailing, Vol. 77 (2), 203-220. 5. Walsh, G., Shiu, E., and Hassan, L.M. (2014) Replicating, validating, and reducing the length of the consumer perceived value scale, Journal of Business Research, 67 (3), 260-267.
Rhagofynion a Chydofynion
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- R1N1: BA French with Marketing year 4 (BA/FRMKT)
- R2N1: BA German with Marketing year 4 (BA/GERMKT)
- N5R3: BA Marketing with Italian year 4 (BA/MKITAL)
- N5R1: BA Marketing with French year 4 (BA/MKTFR)
- N5R6: Marketing with French with International Experience year 4 (BA/MKTFRIE)
- N5R2: BA Marketing with German year 4 (BA/MKTGER)
- N5R4: BA Marketing with Spanish year 4 (BA/MKTSP#)
- R4N5: BA Spanish with Marketing year 4 (BA/SPMKT)
- N503: BSc Marketing (Bangor International College) year 3 (BSC/BICMRK)
- N2N5: BSc Business Management and Marketing year 3 (BSC/BMM)
- N2NC: BSc Business Man & Marketing (4 yr with Incorp Foundation) year 3 (BSC/BMM1)
- N5NF: BSc Business Management and Marketing year 3 (BSC/BMMF)
- N5NP: BSc Business Management and Marketing with Placement Year year 4 (BSC/BMMP)
- NNM1: BSc Business Studies & Marketing with Intl Experience year 4 (BSC/BSMIE)
- NN1M: BSc Business Studies and Marketing year 3 (BSC/BSMKT)
- NN1K: BSc Business Studies & Marketing (4 year with Incorp Found) year 3 (BSC/BSMKT1)
- N501: BSc Marketing year 3 (BSC/MKT)
- N50B: BSc Marketing (4 year with Incorporated Foundation) year 3 (BSC/MKT1)
- N50F: BSc Marketing year 3 (BSC/MKTF)
- N50P: BSc Marketing with Placement Year year 4 (BSC/MKTP)
- N5C8: BSc Marketing with Psychology year 3 (BSC/MP)
Opsiynol mewn cyrsiau:
- N107: BA Business year 3 (BA/BUS)
- NR51: BA Marketing and French (4 year) year 4 (BA/MKTFR#)
- NR52: BA Marketing and German (4 year) year 4 (BA/MKTGER4)
- NR53: BA Marketing and Italian (4 year) year 4 (BA/MKTITAL)
- NR54: BA Marketing and Spanish (4 year) year 4 (BA/MKTSP)
- C6N5: BSc Sport Science & Marketing year 3 (BSC/SSM)
- CN5P: Sport Science and Marketing with Placement Year year 4 (BSC/SSMP)