Game Studies: Game Bible
Rhedir gan School of Arts, Culture and Language
20.000 Credyd neu 10.000 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Dr Eben Muse
Game design is a creative practice that allows complex self-expression of a personal view of the social, cultural and physical world. It is also a creative practice bound by markets and embedded into industrial practices of production and distribution. In this module you will learn to be a creative practitioner working within the game industry. As a member of a game design team, you will develop a game concept and research its market potential. You will then work with your team to apply theory and practice to the design of an industry-standard game design document (GDD) based on that game concept and market analysis. You will have the opportunity to study the current state of the games industry learning their practices and team structures. You will learn to analyse the potential market for your game (its needs and its interests) and how to make that market aware of your product. You will also explore the latest innovations in game design, gaming technology, and the gaming communities. Your GDD will reflect a critical application of these factors as well as core principles of game aesthetics, narrative and mechanics.
- Functionality and balance
- Game development teams
- Development methodologies & strategies
- The game industry
- Market and audience research
- Communicating game design
- Design of game aesthetics and mechanics
Good (C- to B+)
- Strong knowledge of key areas/principles
- Understanding of theoretical underpinnings
- Evidence of background study
- Limited original interpretation
- Well known links between topics are described
- Problems addressed by existing methods/approaches
- Good presentation with accurate communication
Excellent (A- to A**)
- Comprehensive knowledge
- Detailed understanding
- Extensive background study
- Original interpretation
- New links between topics are developed
- New approach to a problem
- Excellent presentation with very accurate communication
Threshold (D- to D+)
- Knowledge of key areas/principles only
- Weaknesses in understanding of main areas
- Limited evidence of background study
- No original interpretation
- Only major links between topics are described
- Limited problem solving
- Many weaknesses in presentation and accuracy
Appreciate the structures of the game design indutry, including indie and AAA developers
Critically evaluate and utilise current game genres and technologies
Design and critically evaluate game aesthetics, narratives and mechanics
Critically evaluate the impact of audiences and markets on game design
Utilise appropriate game industry documentation and communication formats
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
Self-directed research into game market and development of game design
An introduction to weekly tasks, milestones and deliverables.
|Practical classes and workshops||
2-hour weekly braintorming, design, development and testing workshops
Weekly, minuted team meetings to collaborate on design critique and to discuss current game innovations.
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Rhifedd - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio rhifau ar lefelau priodol o gywirdeb
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Gwaith Tîm - Gallu cydweithio'n adeiladol ag eraill ar dasg gyffredin, ac/neu fod yn rhan o dîm gweithio o ddydd i ddydd
- Mentora - Gallu cefnogi, helpu, arwain, ysbrydoli ac/neu hyfforddi eraill
- Rheloaeth - Gallu defnyddio, cydlynu a rheoli adnoddau (dynol, ffisegol ac/neu ariannol)
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- An understanding of creative and critical processes, and of the wide range of skills inherent in creative writing. (NAWE Creative Writing Benchmark Statement 3.1).
- An awareness of writing and publishing contexts, opportunities and audiences in the wider world (NAWE Creative Writing Benchmark Statement 3.1).
- Artistic engagement and ability to articulate complex ideas in oral and written forms. (NAWE Creative Writing Benchmark Statement 3.2).
- Ability to connect creative and critical ideas between and among forms, techniques and types of creative and critical praxis. (NAWE Creative Writing Benchmark Statement 3.2; English Benchmark Statement 3.2).
- Reflective practitioner skills, including awareness of the practice of others in collaborative learning (NAWE Creative Writing Benchmark Statement 3.2; English Benchmark Statement 3.2).
- The ability to synthesize information from various sources, choosing and applying appropriate concepts and methods (English Benchmark Statement 3.3).
- Ability to formulate and solve problems, anticipate and accommodate change, and work within contexts of ambiguity, uncertainty and unfamiliarity (NAWE Creative Writing Benchmark Statement 3.2; English Benchmark Statement 3.3).
- Ability to gather information, analyse, interpret and discuss different viewpoints (NAWE Creative Writing Benchmark Statement 3.2; English Benchmark Statement 3.3).
- Information technology (IT) skills broadly understood and the ability to access, work with and evaluate electronic resources (NAWE Creative Writing Benchmark Statement 3.2; English Benchmark Statement 3.3).
Goblygiadau o ran adnoddau ar gyfer myfyrwyr
There are no special resource requirements, but students are encouraged to purchase the core texts.
Rhestrau Darllen Bangor (Talis)http://readinglists.bangor.ac.uk/modules/uxs-3800.html
Rouse, R. (2005) Game Design: Theory and practice. Plano, Tex: Wordware Pub.
McGuire, M., Jenkins O.C. (2009) Creating Games: Mechanics, content, and technology. Wellesly, MA: AKPeters.
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- W622: BA Film Studies with Game Design year 3 (BA/FSGD)
- P310: BA Media Studies with Game Design year 3 (BA/MSGD)
- W839: BA Professional Writing with Game Design year 3 (BA/PWGD)
- I103: BSc Computer Science with Game Design year 3 (BSC/CSGD)
Opsiynol mewn cyrsiau:
- W3P3: BA Astudiaethau'r Cyfr & Cherdd year 3 (BA/ACC)
- T103: BA Chinese and Creative Studies year 4 (BA/CHCS)
- W890: BA Creative&Professional Writing year 3 (BA/CPW)
- W89P: BA Creative and Professional Writing with Placement Year year 4 (BA/CPWP)
- W899: BA Creative & Professional Writing with International Exp year 4 (BA/CRIE)
- WPQ1: BA Creative Studies (with International Experience) year 4 (BA/CSIE)
- WPQ0: BA Creative Studies year 3 (BA/CST)
- WPQB: BA Creative Studies (4 year with Incorporated Foundation) year 3 (BA/CST1)
- WQ93: BA Creative Stds & English Lang. year 3 (BA/CSTEL)
- WR91: BA French and Creative Studies year 4 (BA/CSTFR)
- WR92: BA German and Creative Studies year 4 (BA/CSTG)
- WR93: BA Italian and Creative Studies year 4 (BA/CSTITAL)
- WW93: BA Creative Studies and Music year 3 (BA/CSTMUS)
- WR94: BA Spanish & Creative Studies year 4 (BA/CSTSP)
- WP83: BA Media Studies & Creative Wrtng year 3 (BA/CWMS)
- W620: BA Film Studies year 3 (BA/FLM)
- W62B: BA Film Studies (4 year with Incorporated Foundation) year 3 (BA/FLM1)
- W62P: BA Film Studies with Placement Year year 3 (BA/FLMP)
- 2W89: BA Film Studies (with International Experience) year 3 (BA/FSIE)
- 3HPQ: BA Media Studies and English Literature year 3 (BA/MEN)
- P306: BA Media Studies year 3 (BA/MS)
- P31B: BA Media Studies (4 year with Incorporated Foundation) year 3 (BA/MS1)
- P30F: BA Media Studies [with Foundation Year] year 3 (BA/MSF)
- 8U76: BA Media Studies (with International Experience) year 3 (BA/MSIE)
- PW33: BA Media Studies and Music year 3 (BA/MSMUS)
- P30P: BA Media Studies with Placement Year year 3 (BA/MSP)
- LP33: BA Media Studies and Sociology year 3 (BA/MSSOC)
- W6W8: BA Professional Writing & Film year 3 (BA/PWF)
- P3W9: BA Professional Writing and Media year 3 (BA/PWM)
- W900: MArts Creative Practice year 3 (MARTS/CP)