Rhedir gan Bangor Business School
15.000 Credyd neu 7.500 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Dr Clair Doloriert
The intent of the course is to develop your understanding of business and management research so that you are confident in reading, interpreting and implementing research for various organisation and management purposes The key objectives are: To examine key methodological issues and approaches to research in the management To discuss the research philosophy and the research strategies in management To discuss the research strategy, design and data analysis skills needed to conduct business research To critically evaluate the strengths and limitations of data gathered using qualitative and quantitative approaches To be able to interpret and evaluate types of business and management research usual to middle/ senior business and management roles within organisations and industry
This module will consist of the following components: An introduction to the management research Formulating the research topic and critically reviewing the literature Research philosophies; ontology, epistemology and axiology Research strategies and design Sampling methods in management research Issues of quality in business and management research Quantitative research (collection and analysis) Quantitative research (collection and analysis) Writing up your research; types of report, styles of writing and sections to include Exam preparation & Assignment preparation workshops Course review This module is led by Dr Clair Doloriert but includes other lecturers teaching across various research topics
Demonstrate a critical and evaluative understanding and knowledge of theories, concepts, operational issues and practice in management research. Show appraising and evaluative insights, creativity and evidence based judgement as well as a capacity to innovative and challenge assumptions from an informed perspective across all components of the assessment. Adopt an autonomous approach to learning and continuing professional development across the whole module. Excellent integration of theory/practice/information in pursuit of the assessed work's objectives. Strong evidence of the use of creative and reflective skills.
Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of theories, concepts, operational issues and practice in management research. Some grasp of theoretical/conceptual/practical elements. Pursue a sustained piece of independent work requiring subject-specific and transferable skills.
Demonstrate a critical and evaluative understanding and knowledge of theories, concepts, operational issues and practice in management and business research. Show appraising and evaluative insights, creativity and judgement in developing a sustained piece of work. Some evidence of the use of creative and reflective skills. Much of the relevant information and skills mostly accurately deployed. Adequate grasp of theoretical/conceptual/practical elements.
Appreciate the nature, value and broad range of contributions of research in business and management
Demonstrate an awareness of the philosophical roots of both quantitative and qualitative approaches to research in management; including ontology, epistemology and methodology
Understand, explain and apply the key methods of data analysis across qualitative and quantitative approaches
Compare, contrast and critically evaluate alternative research strategies and designs.
Interpret and evaluate different types of business and management research across both qualitative and quantitative approaches, and provide an informed and considered opinion as to academic rigour and quality.
|Case Study Examining Management Research||100.00|
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
Preparation for lectures, listening to lectures and lives, and reading textbooks and other reading materials relating to the module
3 hour lecture including case studies, formal teaching and group work
Preparation for and writing up of assignment
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Rhifedd - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio rhifau ar lefelau priodol o gywirdeb
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- Research: the ability to analyse and evaluate a range of business data, sources of information and appropriate methodologies, which includes the need for strong digital literacy, and to use that research for evidence-based decision-making.
- Numeracy: the use of quantitative skills to manipulate data, evaluate, estimate and model business problems, functions and phenomena.
- Articulating and effectively explaining information.
- Communication and listening including the ability to produce clear, structured business communications in a variety of media.
- Conceptual and critical thinking, analysis, synthesis and evaluation.
- Self-management: a readiness to accept responsibility and flexibility, to be resilient, self-starting and appropriately assertive, to plan, organise and manage time.
Rhestrau Darllen Bangor (Talis)http://readinglists.bangor.ac.uk/modules/abj-4115.html
Saunders. M, Thornhill, A., and Lewis, P. (2019) Research Methods for Business Students (8th Edition) Pearson. London.
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- N1BT: MA Business and Marketing (January start) year 1 (MA/BUSMRKJ)
- N2BF: MBA Environmental Management (January start) year 1 (MBA/EMJ)
- N3DP: MBA Finance (January Start) year 1 (MBA/FINJ)
- N3DQ: MBA Islamic Banking and Finance (January Start) year 1 (MBA/IBJ)
- N5AH: MBA International Marketing (January start) year 1 (MBA/IMJ)
- N2BG: MBA Information Management (January start) year 1 (MBA/INFMANJ)
- N1BS: MBA International Business (January start) year 1 (MBA/INTBUSJ)
- N2BH: MBA Law and Management (January start) year 1 (MBA/LMGTJ)
- N2BE: MBA Management (January start) year 1 (MBA/MJ)