Rhedir gan Bangor Business School
60 Credyd neu 30 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Prof Owain ap Gwilym
Aims: To provide an opportunity initiate, plan and accomplish a substantial piece of work entailing an extensive review of the existing published theoretical and empirical literature on a clearly defined topic, augmented by the application of quantitative or qualitative methods in further analysis of that topic.
There is no set syllabus. The dissertation encourages students to develop a critical awareness of the professional skills relevant to the strategic management of a variety of business practices. Students choose their research topic, provided that there is suitable and sufficient reading material available, and a member of staff is available to supervise in the chosen area of study.
In addition to the above, an ability to write analytically on specific issues.
In addition to the above, the ability to illustrate and enhance arguments and analyse through the use of relevant supporting evidence drawn from the established literature.
A basic knowledge of course material.
Identify a suitable topic for research.
Plan, organise and manage an extensive research project on the chosen topic.
Make use of library and electronic resources to identify literature and locate data.
Synthesise and critically appraise a body of academic literature.
Apply appropriate analytical, statistical, IT, research design, writing and other research skills in order to present relevant theoretical and/or empirical evidence on the chosen topic.
Compile, edit and present a substantial research report.
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
Two 2-hour workshops outline the main features of how to undertake a postgraduate project. The lectures examine the main issues faced in choosing a suitable dissertation subject, research methods used to undertake a successful project, and accessing information sources and databases. The first explores how to conduct a literature review and identify an appropriate research question. The second considers appropriate research methods, including data collection tool design, access, data analysis, resource constraints and ethical issues.
Students are allocated a recommended 4 hours of staff consultation time for their postgraduate projects. Here advice is provided on the relevant primary literature, including book chapters, journal articles and internet sources that they are expected to use for dissertation study. Also information on databases, statistical packages and qualittive data software can be provided. Self-study for the dissertation is supported by email contact with staff. It is a student's responsibility to initiate meetings and maintain regular contact with their supervisor.
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Rhifedd - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio rhifau ar lefelau priodol o gywirdeb
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- Analysis, deduction and induction. Economic reasoning is highly deductive, and logical analysis is applied to assumption-based models. However, inductive reasoning is also important. The development of such analytical skills enhances students' problem-solving and decision-making ability.
- Problem solving and critical analysis: analysing facts and circumstances to determine the cause of a problem and identifying and selecting appropriate solutions.
- Research: the ability to analyse and evaluate a range of business data, sources of information and appropriate methodologies, which includes the need for strong digital literacy, and to use that research for evidence-based decision-making.
- Numeracy: the use of quantitative skills to manipulate data, evaluate, estimate and model business problems, functions and phenomena.
- Self-management: a readiness to accept responsibility and flexibility, to be resilient, self-starting and appropriately assertive, to plan, organise and manage time.
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- N3CH: MA Banking & Finance (Chartered Banker) year 1 (MA/BFCB)
- N3DC: MA Bank & Fin (Chart Bank) (with Incorporated Pre-Masters) year 1 (MA/BFCB1)
- N1BJ: MA Business and Marketing (with Incorporated Pre-Masters) year 1 (MA/BMK1)
- N1AV: MA Business and Marketing year 1 (MA/BUSMRK)
- N2AU: MBA Environmental Management year 1 (MBA/EM)
- N2BB: MBA Environmental Management (with Incorporated Pre-Masters) year 1 (MBA/EM1)