Rhedir gan Bangor Business School
60.000 Credyd neu 30.000 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Prof Owain ap Gwilym
This module introduces you to research in action and therefore provides an opportunity to initiate, plan, and accomplish a substantial piece of research work. Undertaking a dissertation will entail writing an extensive review of the existing published theoretical and empirical literature on a clearly defined topic followed by conducting a piece of quantitative or qualitative research on the topic chosen. Thus you will have the opportunity to undertake fieldwork in your chosen area of interest.
There is no set syllabus as the tasks required will depend on the topic chosen.
Average Standard (B- to B): Much of the relevant information and skills mostly accurately deployed. Adequate grasp of theoretical/conceptual/practical elements. Fair integration of theory/practice/information in the pursuit of the assessed work's objectives. Some evidence of the use of creative and reflective skills.
High Standard (B to B+): Very good performance Most of the relevant information accurately deployed. Good grasp of theoretical/conceptual/practical elements. Good integration of theory/practice/information in pursuit of the assessed work's objectives. Evidence of the use of creative and reflective skills
Excellent standard (A- to A*): An outstanding performance, exceptionally able. The relevant information accurately deployed. Excellent grasp of theoretical/conceptual/practice elements. Good integration of theory/practice/information in pursuit of the assessed work's objectives. Strong evidence of the use of creative and reflective skills.
Satisfactory standard (C- to C+): No major omissions or inaccuracies in the deployment of information/skills. Some grasp of theoretical/conceptual/practical elements. Integration of theory/practice/information present intermittently in pursuit of the assessed work's objectives
Make use of library and electronic resources to identify literature and locate data.
Identify a suitable topic for research.
Plan, organise and manage an extensive research project on the chosen topic.
Compile, edit, and present a substantial research report.
Apply appropriate analytical, statistical, IT, research design, writing and other research skills in order to present relevant theoretical and/or empirical evidence on the chosen topic.
Synthesize and critically appraise a body of academic literature.
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
Students will have up to 12 hours of contact time with staff to gain guidance and feedback on the write-up of the dissertation. It would be anticipated that although students would do the majority of the work over the summer months that they would be allocated a supervisor in semester 1 and therefore be able to have some preliminary meetings to explore topics prior to starting the summer semester. This is important sine students would likely progress the topic undertaken during the summer project to the PhD phase.
One 2 hour lecture a the beginning of the summer term will introduce students to the background of the module and the requirements. A further 2 hour session will discuss ethical issues and codes of conduct for undertaking research.
Independent but supervisor guided fieldwork to collect empirical data that forms that basis of the dissertation findings.
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Rheloaeth - Gallu defnyddio, cydlynu a rheoli adnoddau (dynol, ffisegol ac/neu ariannol)
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- Research: the ability to analyse and evaluate a range of business data, sources of information and appropriate methodologies, which includes the need for strong digital literacy, and to use that research for evidence-based decision-making.
- Articulating and effectively explaining information.
- Conceptual and critical thinking, analysis, synthesis and evaluation.
- Self-management: a readiness to accept responsibility and flexibility, to be resilient, self-starting and appropriately assertive, to plan, organise and manage time.
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- N1BP: MSc Research Methodology year 1 (MSC/RM)