Financial Research and Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) Series
Rhedir gan Bangor Business School
60.000 Credyd neu 30.000 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Prof Owain ap Gwilym
This module is available as an alternative to the Dissertation for students on the programmes mentioned in Section 13.
The module has two main aims: - to familiarise students with current research topics and research methodologies relevant to their degree programme, while requiring them to complete an extended literature review plus an empirical study in an appropriate area of accounting, banking or finance. - to prepare students for the transition to a financial career, by covering the Level 1 syllabus of the Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) qualification.
In the Research Seminar component, the precise content will vary from year to year. This will enable the programme to include staff research specialisms, to reflect current and topical research issues and to adapt to any staffing changes.
Indicative content for 2016 (labelling is consistent with the existing ASB4903/4896 module): A1. Corporate governance and executive compensation (Professor John Ashton). C1. Event studies and the measurement of abnormal returns (Dr Gwion Williams). D1. The role of rating agencies in financial markets (Professor Owain ap Gwilym).
Each student must attend two of the above research seminars, as follows:
MSc Accounting, MSc Accounting and Banking, MSc Accounting and Finance:
Seminars A1, C1.
MSc/MA Banking and Finance, MSc International Banking, MSc/MA Islamic Banking and Finance, MSc/MA Finance, MSc International Finance, MSc Investment Management, MSc/MA Management and Finance. Seminars C1, D1.
MBA Banking and Finance, MBA Finance, MBA Islamic Banking and Finance. Seminars A1, D1.
This is applicable to September and January intakes.
70%+ An outstanding performance, exceptionally able. The relevant information is accurately deployed. Excellent grasp of theoretical/conceptual/practical elements. Very good integration of theory/practice/information in the pursuit of the assessed work’s objectives. Strong evidence of the use of creative and reflective skills.
50-59% No major omissions or inaccuracies in the deployment of information / skills. Some grasp of theoretical/conceptual/practical elements. Integration of theory/practice/information is present intermittently in the pursuit of the assessed work’s objectives.
60-69% Much of the relevant information and skills are mostly accurately deployed. Adequate grasp of theoretical/conceptual/practical elements. Good integration of theory/practice/information in the pursuit of the assessed work’s objectives. Some evidence of the use of creative and reflective skills.
Demonstrate awareness of a wide range of themes and topics which are relevant to a career in the financial industry.
Demonstrate the ability to access and review a stream of literature which has relevance to a specific programme of empirical research.
Demonstrate quantitative skills in solving problems in statistics, finance and economics.
Demonstrate the ability to select empirical techniques appropriate for a programme of empirical research, and demonstrate competence in fundamental tasks of data handling and data analysis.
Demonstrate awareness of current theoretical and applied research within the scope of their degree programme.
Demonstrate reasoning skills in solving qualitative tasks of relevant to finance, economics and investment management.
|Individual Literature Review (dissertation report 1)||25.00|
|Individual Empirical Study (dissertation report 2)||25.00|
|Final Examination Mark||50.00|
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- N3AD: MBA Banking and Finance year 1 (MBA/BIF)
- N3DG: MBA Banking and Finance (with Incorporated Pre-Masters) year 1 (MBA/BIF1)
- N3BV: MBA Finance year 1 (MBA/FIN)
- N3DH: MBA Finance (with Incorporated Pre-Masters) year 1 (MBA/FIN1)
- N3BM: MBA Islamic Banking and Finance year 1 (MBA/IB)
- N3DK: MBA Islamic Banking & Finance (with incorp pre-Masters) year 1 (MBA/IB1)
- N4AK: MSc Accounting and Banking year 1 (MSC/ACB)
- N4AN: MSc Accounting and Banking (with Incorporated Pre-Masters) year 1 (MSC/ACB1)
- N4AJ: MSc Accounting year 1 (MSC/ACC)
- N4AM: MSc Accounting (with Incorporated Pre-Masters) year 1 (MSC/ACC1)
- N4AP: MSc Accounting and Finance (with Incorporated Pre-Masters) year 1 (MSC/ACCF1)
- N4AG: MSc Accounting and Finance year 1 (MSC/ACCFIN)
- N3AX: MSc Banking and Finance year 1 (MSC/BANKFIN)
- N3CS: MSc Banking and Finance (with Incorporated Pre-Masters) year 1 (MSC/BKFIN1)
- N3CT: MSc Finance (with Incorporated Pre-Masters) year 1 (MSC/FIN1)
- N3AJ: MSc Finance year 1 (MSC/FINANCE)
- N3BF: MSc Islamic Banking and Finance year 1 (MSC/IBF)
- N3CZ: MSc Islamic Banking & Fin (with Incorporated Pre-Masters) year 1 (MSC/IBF1)
- N3CC: MSc Investment Management year 1 (MSC/IMGT)
- N3CX: MSc Investment Management (with Incorporated Pre-Masters) year 1 (MSC/IMGT1)
- N2AY: MSc Management and Finance (with Incorporated Pre-Masters) year 1 (MSC/MANF1)
- N2AO: MSc Management and Finance year 1 (MSC/MANFIN)