Core Competencies for PG Researchers
Rhedir gan Bangor Business School
20.000 Credyd neu 10.000 Credyd ECTS
Semester 1 a 2
Trefnydd: Prof Yener Altunbas
The aim of the module is to equip students with core competencies for conducting research. This includes data management, literature search, bibliographic, writing and computing skills. It requires participation in seminars offered by both BBS and the doctoral school, and submission of written pieces of work.
The module will cover a range of topics that include general issues such as managing research across the research process. Topics therefore include issues such as accessing key literature and keeping a track of research sources, how to work with data including merging and linking datasets as well as dealing with missing data or other data problems. There will be a focus on the writing process and drafting documents with multiple authors. The module will provide an introduction to different software that can be used by researchers for keeping track of literature or undertaking statistical analysis. Finally students will gain a wider appreciation of the careers open to researchers, the potential of secondary data for research and the importance of impact and wider dissemination of research to those outside of academia.
Average Standard (B- to B): Much of the relevant information and skills mostly accurately deployed. Adequate grasp of theoretical/conceptual/practical elements. Fair integration of theory/practice/information in the pursuit of the assessed work's objectives. Some evidence of the use of creative and reflective skills.
High Standard (B to B+): Very good performance Most of the relevant information accurately deployed. Good grasp of theoretical/conceptual/practical elements. Good integration of theory/practice/information in pursuit of the assessed work's objectives. Evidence of the use of creative and reflective skills.
Excellent standard (A- to A*): An outstanding performance, exceptionally able. The relevant information accurately deployed. Excellent grasp of theoretical/conceptual/practice elements. Good integration of theory/practice/information in pursuit of the assessed work's objectives. Strong evidence of the use of creative and reflective skills.
Satisfactory standard (C- to C+):
No major omissions or inaccuracies in the deployment of information/skills.
Some grasp of theoretical/conceptual/practical elements.
Integration of theory/practice/information present intermittently in pursuit of the assessed work’s objectives.
Prepare data for analysis including data checking, data cleaning, dealing with missing data and extreme observations (outliers).
Demonstrate an appreciation of impact including the engagement of users and co-producers in the production of knowledge.
Access secondary data (qualitative and quantitative) from existing sources, including an awareness of the availability of secondary data via the UK Data Service.
Appreciate the range of careers available to researchers.
Acquire capabilities for managing research, including data management (e.g. merging and linking datasets); conducting and disseminating research; and utilisation of relevant software available to facilitate effective research.
Demonstrate effective use of library resources including bibliographic databases.
|Data checking report||20.00|
|Reflective career plan||20.00|
|User engagement plan||25.00|
|Secondary data report||10.00|
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
The module consists of participating in relevant seminars offered by BBS and the doctoral school throughout the academic year. In addition students will attend a preliminary introductory session on the organisation and assessment of the module.
Use of relevant software packages including SPSS, REFWORKS, R, and necessary apps
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Rhifedd - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio rhifau ar lefelau priodol o gywirdeb
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Rheloaeth - Gallu defnyddio, cydlynu a rheoli adnoddau (dynol, ffisegol ac/neu ariannol)
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- Research: the ability to analyse and evaluate a range of business data, sources of information and appropriate methodologies, which includes the need for strong digital literacy, and to use that research for evidence-based decision-making.
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- N1BP: MSc Research Methodology year 1 (MSC/RM)