Qualitative Methods for Researchers
Rhedir gan Bangor Business School
20.000 Credyd neu 10.000 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Prof Yener Altunbas
The aim of the module is to provide training in the main varieties of qualitative and mixed methods research in the social sciences. Students will gain knowledge and understanding of qualitative methods and develop skills in the implementation of a variety of such methods. A key area of the module is developing and understanding of the links between a methodological position and correct methods to adopt. Students as a result will develop an ability through the module to critique and defend one's own methodological position and choice of methods to apply.
The module content will focus on the types of approaches and methods that are associated with qualitative methods such as various forms of observation, feminist methods and ethnomethodological methods. The corresponding data collection and analysis methods will also be covered and these include the use of different types of interviewing techniques and analysis methods such as conversation analysis and textual analysis. Students will also be introduced to issues of online data collection.
Average Standard (60-64%): Much of the relevant information and skills mostly accurately deployed. Adequate grasp of theoretical/conceptual/practical elements. Fair integration of theory/practice/information in the pursuit of the assessed work's objectives. Some evidence of the use of creative and reflective skills.
High Standard (65-69%): Very good performance Most of the relevant information accurately deployed. Good grasp of theoretical/conceptual/practical elements. Good integration of theory/practice/information in pursuit of the assessed work's objectives. Evidence of the use of creative and reflective skills
Excellent standard (70%+): An outstanding performance, exceptionally able. The relevant information accurately deployed. Excellent grasp of theoretical/conceptual/practice elements. Good integration of theory/practice/information in pursuit of the assessed work's objectives. Strong evidence of the use of creative and reflective skills.
Satisfactory standard (50-59%): No major omissions or inaccuracies in the deployment of information/skills. Some grasp of theoretical/conceptual/practical elements. Integration of theory/practice/information present intermittently in pursuit of the assessed work's objectives.
Understand the methodological foundations on which various advanced qualitative methods are defended.
Demonstrate a critical understanding of the principles, applications and implications of qualitative research methods (encompassing all stages of the research process).
Demonstrate an understanding of qualitative analysis results in journal articles and other academic sources.
Acquire a working knowledge of analysis support tools such as NVivo.
|Qualitative data analysis report||50.00|
|Critical essay on qualitative approaches||50.00|
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
8 hours (4 sessions of two-hours) of lab work learning NVivo.
Reading time, preparing and taking assessments.
Students will take part in the multidisciplinary qualitative journal reading group.
Lectures 2 hours per week.
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Rheloaeth - Gallu defnyddio, cydlynu a rheoli adnoddau (dynol, ffisegol ac/neu ariannol)
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- Problem solving and critical analysis: analysing facts and circumstances to determine the cause of a problem and identifying and selecting appropriate solutions.
- Research: the ability to analyse and evaluate a range of business data, sources of information and appropriate methodologies, which includes the need for strong digital literacy, and to use that research for evidence-based decision-making.
- Articulating and effectively explaining information.
- Communication and listening including the ability to produce clear, structured business communications in a variety of media.
- Conceptual and critical thinking, analysis, synthesis and evaluation.
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- N1BP: MSc Research Methodology year 1 (MSC/RM)