Rhedir gan Bangor Business School
15.000 Credyd neu 7.500 Credyd ECTS
Semester 1 a 2
Trefnydd: Mr Ian Hardcastle
The module provides an introduction to corporate strategy. This module aims to: o To develop a critical understanding of strategic management in the context of a global competitive environment; o To explore and analyse the ways in which strategy develops in organisations; o To understand the environmental context in which strategic management takes place and the techniques of analysis within corporate strategy; o To explore the multiple layers of strategic management, corporate, business level and functional and examine and contrast the relationships, differences and similarities between them; o To develop a command of strategic choices approaches and the techniques for appraising divergent strategic options; o To critically evaluate the implementation of strategy including the allocation of resources and the management of strategic change.
In a globally competitive environment where the ability to manage effectively in a context of continuous change is a paramount managerial skill, an understanding of the principles and processes of corporate strategy is a crucial determinant of managerial effectiveness. By analysing strategic decision making within business, this module enables students to develop a critical understanding of the strategic process of business management. The module will also develop an understanding of the interconnections between the other functional domains within a business.
B- to B+ (60-69%): Very good performance Most of the relevant information accurately deployed. Good grasp of theoretical/conceptual/practical elements. Good integration of theory/practice/information in pursuit of the assessed work's objectives. Evidence of the use of creative and reflective skills.
Understands most but not all o Evidence of background study o Focussed answer with good structure o Arguments presented coherently o Mostly free of factual errors o Some limited original interpretation o Well known links between topics are described o Problems addressed by existing methods/approaches o Good presentation with accurate communication
Excellent standard: 70+ An outstanding performance, exceptionally able. The relevant information accurately deployed. Excellent grasp of theoretical/conceptual/practice elements. Good integration of theory/practice/information in pursuit of the assessed work's objectives. Strong evidence of the use of creative and reflective skills.
c- to c+ (50-59%): marginal failing yet compensatable work No major omissions or inaccuracies in the deployment of information/skills. Some grasp of theoretical/conceptual/practical elements. Integration of theory/practice/information present intermittently in pursuit of the assessed work's objectives.No major omissions or inaccuracies in the deployment of information/skills. Some grasp of theoretical/conceptual/practical elements. Integration of theory/practice/information present intermittently in pursuit of the assessed work's objectives.• Knowledge of key areas/principles only; • Weaknesses in understanding of main areas; • Limited evidence of background study; • Answer only poorly focussed on question and with some irrelevant material and poor structure; • Arguments presented but lack coherence; • Several factual/computational errors; • No original interpretation; • Only major links between topics are described;
Critically assess the importance of corporate Strategy in a contemporary context
Critically evaluate the subject specific roles, features and relationships within and between firms.
Question, critically assess and apply apposite management theory to complex questions.
Critically comprehend the implications of different strategic decisions for the firm
Demonstrate the ability to make informed management and leadership judgements and decisions.
Critically evaluate and appropriately apply alternative strategies and tools involved in management.
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
This module is to be delivered in blended learning format. Students will receive a detailed study pack comprising three units of self study. There will be mandatory periods of asynchronous online teaching together with online virtual workshops. These will be supplemented by face to face teaching at the Management Centre at the end of semester. Students will also be expected to work together in online groups on pre-assigned topics.
Three seminars of one hour are provided through the web-ex system. Three seminar web-ex sessions are provided to allow students to engage with the materials in a live internet based session over the Web-ex platform this is designed to encourage student interaction and discussion of study materials and module aims.
At least 5 hours of lectures provided on line and some lectures also provided in the class room for those students attending the bi-annual teaching sessions at the management centre - all lectures are recorded. These lectures are also supplemented by vidoes introducing and summarising the different elements of the module which total to a further hour of discussion
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Rheloaeth - Gallu defnyddio, cydlynu a rheoli adnoddau (dynol, ffisegol ac/neu ariannol)
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- Problem solving and critical analysis: analysing facts and circumstances to determine the cause of a problem and identifying and selecting appropriate solutions.
- Commercial acumen: based on an awareness of the key drivers for business success, causes of failure and the importance of providing customer satisfaction and building customer loyalty.
- Innovation, creativity and enterprise: the ability to act entrepreneurially to generate, develop and communicate ideas, manage and exploit intellectual property, gain support, and deliver successful outcomes.
- Articulating and effectively explaining information.
- Conceptual and critical thinking, analysis, synthesis and evaluation.
A module reader
Textbook (supplied to students) Title : Exploring Strategy – text & cases 9th Edition Author : Johnson, G, Whittington, R. and Scholes, K. Publisher : FT Prentice Hall
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- N3BN: MBA Chartered Banker year 1 (MBA/CBDL)