Professional Ethics and Regulation
Professional Ethics and Regulation 2022-23
Bangor Business School
Module - Semester 1 & 2
The lecture programme will outline the principal areas of content and critically discuss questions dominating this subject area. The lecture programme will be introduced through considering past cases of poor ethical practice in financial services industry to motivate the subsequent studies. The module will then develop to consider moral and normative ethics in a business context, the application of ethical principles within key financial services areas including lending, investment and trading. The lecture programme will then consider the role of individuals, organisations and corporate governance arrangements in financial services decision making, expected professional standards and the evolution of conduct of business regulation internationally within the financial services industry.
-threshold -C- to C+ (50-59%): No major omissions or inaccuracies in the deployment of information/skills. Some grasp of theoretical/conceptual/practical elements. Integration of theory/practice/information present intermittently in pursuit of the assessed work's objectives.No major omissions or inaccuracies in the deployment of information/skills. Some grasp of theoretical/conceptual/practical elements. Integration of theory/practice/information present intermittently in pursuit of the assessed work's objectives. • Knowledge of key areas/principles only;
-good -B- to B+ (60-69%): Very good performance Most of the relevant information accurately deployed. Good grasp of theoretical/conceptual/practical elements. Good integration of theory/practice/information in pursuit of the assessed work's objectives. Evidence of the use of creative and reflective skills.Understands most but not alloEvidence of background studyoFocussed answer with good structureoArguments presented coherentlyoMostly free of factual errorsoSome limited original interpretationoWell known links between topics are describedoProblems addressed by existing methods/approachesoGood presentation with accurate communication
-excellent -Excellent standard: 70+ An outstanding performance, exceptionally able. The relevant information accurately deployed. Excellent grasp of theoretical/conceptual/practice elements. Good integration of theory/practice/information in pursuit of the assessed work's objectives. Strong evidence of the use of creative and reflective skills.
- Comprehend, evaluate, appreciate and assimilate the scope and constraints imposed by law and regulation.
- Critically analyse the importance of professional ethics and regulation in a contemporary context.
- Critically evaluate the subject specific roles, features and relationships within and between firms.
- Demonstrate the ability to make informed judgements and decisions in the context of banking and financial markets.
- Demonstrate the ability to make informed management and leadership judgements and decisions.
- Develop a questioning and evaluative understanding of financial services' characteristics and where these services are appropriately and ethically employed. Critically comprehend the implications of different strategic decisions for the firm.