Rhedir gan Bangor Business School
15.000 Credyd neu 7.500 Credyd ECTS
Semester 1 a 2
Trefnydd: Mr Alex Moore
This module evaluates the changes that have occurred in the strategic and operating environment in which retail banks operate. There is focus on both internal as well as external factors driving change and emphasis on how retail banks are responding to these factors and the impact it is having on customer service and profitability.
The module introduces, explores and critically examines a range of changes to retails banks operating and strategic environment. These include the nature and purpose of retail banking and changes that have occurred in the sector. Areas subsequently considered include the role and developments in distribution, branching, marketing and the treatment and role of customers. Within this discussion issues of service quality and the associated links to profitability, the dynamics of change in retail banking and the future of retail banks are further addressed.
c- to c+ (50-59%): marginal failing yet compensatable work No major omissions or inaccuracies in the deployment of information/skills. Some grasp of theoretical/conceptual/practical elements. Integration of theory/practice/information present intermittently in pursuit of the assessed work's objectives.No major omissions or inaccuracies in the deployment of information/skills. Some grasp of theoretical/conceptual/practical elements. Integration of theory/practice/information present intermittently in pursuit of the assessed work's objectives.• Knowledge of key areas/principles only; • Weaknesses in understanding of main areas; • Limited evidence of background study; • Answer only poorly focussed on question and with some irrelevant material and poor structure; • Arguments presented but lack coherence; • Several factual/computational errors; • No original interpretation; • Only major links between topics are described;
B- to B+ (60-69%): Very good performance Most of the relevant information accurately deployed. Good grasp of theoretical/conceptual/practical elements. Good integration of theory/practice/information in pursuit of the assessed work's objectives. Evidence of the use of creative and reflective skills.
Understands most but not all o Evidence of background study o Focussed answer with good structure o Arguments presented coherently o Mostly free of factual errors o Some limited original interpretation o Well known links between topics are described o Problems addressed by existing methods/approaches o Good presentation with accurate communication
Excellent standard: 70+ An outstanding performance, exceptionally able. The relevant information accurately deployed. Excellent grasp of theoretical/conceptual/practice elements. Good integration of theory/practice/information in pursuit of the assessed work's objectives. Strong evidence of the use of creative and reflective skills.
Evaluate changes and factors affecting the dynamic operating and strategic environment of retail banking.
Identify and assess the role of service quality for retail banking
Critically analyse the importance of Retail Banking in a contemporary context.
Apply and evaluate theoretical models of service quality
Identify and appraise links between service quality operations and profitability
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
At least 5 hours of lectures provided on line and some lectures also provided in the class room for those students attending the bi-annual teaching sessions at the management centre - all lectures are recorded. These lectures are also supplemented by vidoes introducing and summarising the different elements of the module which total to a further hour of discussion
Three seminars of one hour are provided through the web-ex system. Three seminar web-ex sessions are provided to allow students to engage with the materials in a live internet based session over the Web-ex platform this is designed to encourage student interaction and discussion of study materials and module aims.
This module is to be delivered in blended learning format. Students will receive a detailed study pack comprising three units of self-study. There will be mandatory periods of asynchronous online teaching together with online virtual workshops. Students will also be expected to work together in online groups on pre-assigned topics.
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- An appreciation of the nature of the contexts in which finance can be seen as operating, including knowledge of the institutional framework necessary for understanding the role, operation and function of markets and financial institutions (e.g. the economic, legal, regulatory and tax environment, both national and international; the firm; the capital markets and the public sector).
- An understanding of financial service activity in the economy, and an appreciation of how finance theory and evidence can be employed to interpret these services (for example, information asymmetry, adverse selection and moral hazard could be employed to analyse the fundamental nature of services, such as insurance, pensions, bank lending and consumer credit, and also explore fundamental problems arising in such financial service provision. Efficient market hypothesis could be used to explore evidence for fund manager performance and the effectiveness of equity and bond saving services).
- Problem solving and critical analysis: analysing facts and circumstances to determine the cause of a problem and identifying and selecting appropriate solutions.
- Commercial acumen: based on an awareness of the key drivers for business success, causes of failure and the importance of providing customer satisfaction and building customer loyalty.
- Building and maintaining relationships.
A module reader supplied to students
Textbook (supplied to students) Title : The Art of Better Retail Banking Author : Hugh Croxford, Frank Abramson and Alex Jablonowski: Wiley
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Opsiynol mewn cyrsiau:
- N3BN: MBA Chartered Banker year 1 (MBA/CBDL)