Masters Research Project
Rhedir gan School of Natural Sciences
100.000 Credyd neu 50.000 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Dr Katherine Jones
Students successfully completing the master research project should be able to plan, cost, execute and analyse original research. They should have developed a conceptual understanding of the challenges and ethical implications of research, and they should have reached a technical competency in the laboratory and/or field, which enables them to embark on a PhD research project.
The research project MBiol/Zoology will allow students to develop their experimental skills to a high level and it will enable students to plan, execute and analyse hypothesis-bases research in the field or laboratory. During the first month of the course, students have to plan the research project in collaboration with the supervisor. The written research plan is expected to be submitted in the first month and cover (i) underlying rationale, (ii) specific objectives of the project, (iii) methodology and approach, (iv) management of the project and resources, (v) programme of research and (vi) justification of resources. Towards the end of the first semester, students are expected to make an oral presentation of the project's progress to explain background and rationale, overall methodology and hypotheses and anticipated outcomes of the project. For the dissertation, data collection in the field or in the laboratory or by in silico methods would generally be done between October and March. The experimental work is generally followed by two months of data analysis and writing up. The final results is presented in a written dissertation, which should follow the format of a research publication, and the final research conference presentation (in the form of a poster).
A threshold student should have a basic knowledge of the essential facts and key concepts in the chosen research area. The research proposal, the oral presentation, conference poster and response to comments letter should demonstrate an ability to analyse the literature, to plan, conduct and analyse the research to present it into a coherent argument
A good student should have a thorough factual knowledge of all aspects across of the project and how it relates to the chosen research area. The oral presentation, poster and response to comments letter should demonstrate an ability to think critically about the subject and to relate the research undertaken to the wider subject area.
An excellent student should have a detailed and conceptual knowledge of the subject and the ability to design and write-up research highly original to the area of chosen study. The oral presentation, poster and response to comments letter should demonstrate an ability to not only think critically about the subject but also a thorough understanding of the novelty of the research undertaken. The whole dissertation or its parts should be at the level of publishable original scientific manuscripts ready to be submitted to a peer-reviewed journal after some modifications.
To carry out the planned research.
To analyse the obtained data in the context of the relevant literature.
To communicate orally and in writing the aims, results and conclusions of the research project.
To plan a research project that explores the complexity and diversity of life processes through the study of organisms, their molecular, cellular and physiological processes, their genetics and evolution, and the interrelationships between them and their environment.
|Oral Project Progress Report (15 |Min)||10.00|
|Reply to comments letter||10.00|
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
In this course, students undertake individually supervised research projects. This involves one-to-one contact with the supervisor on project planning, execution and analysis.
Each student will plan his/her research project in collaboration with the supervisor BEFORE the experimental work commences.
Laboratory-based students have to be supervised by an experiences researcher.
Students who undertake fieldwork have to plan and discuss the project with the supervisor before the work starts.
All students will take part in regular group meetings and seminars.
The dissertation should be submitted as a well worked out draft to the supervisor before submission.
All students will present their work in a mini-symposium at the end of the course.
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Rhifedd - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio rhifau ar lefelau priodol o gywirdeb
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Gwaith Tîm - Gallu cydweithio'n adeiladol ag eraill ar dasg gyffredin, ac/neu fod yn rhan o dîm gweithio o ddydd i ddydd
- Rheloaeth - Gallu defnyddio, cydlynu a rheoli adnoddau (dynol, ffisegol ac/neu ariannol)
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- C101: MBiol Master of Biology year 4 (MBIOL/BIO)
- C510: MBiol Biology with Biotechnology year 4 (MBIOL/BIOT)
- C302: MZool Zoology with Animal Behaviour year 4 (MZOOL/AB)
- CD34: MZool Zoology with Conservation year 4 (MZOOL/CONS)
- C303: MZool Zoology with Herpetology year 4 (MZOOL/HERP)
- C325: MZool Zoology with Animal Behaviour with International Exp year 4 (MZOOL/ZAIE)
- C321: MZool Zoology with Climate Change year 4 (MZOOL/ZCC)
- C353: MZool Zoology with Marine Zoology year 4 (MZOOL/ZMZ)
- C306: MZool Zoology (with International Experience) year 4 (MZOOL/ZOIE)
- C301: MZool Master of Zoology year 4 (MZOOL/ZOO)
- C333: MZool Zoology with Primatology year 4 (MZOOL/ZP)
- C334: MZool Zoology with Ornithology year 4 (MZOOL/ZR)