People, Space & Place
Rhedir gan School of Natural Sciences
20.000 Credyd neu 10.000 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Ms Sian Pierce
It is increasingly being recognised across a range of academic fields that geographical questions of space and place are central to understanding modern society and the environmental, social, and other issues that face it. This module aims to provide an introduction to some key ideas, thinkers and contestations associated with space and place. Starting from the standpoint that physical space shapes and is shaped through social practices, the module explores the
spatial turn' in the social sciences in general and geography in particular. It examines the interface between people, space and place, peering into the social construction of place and the governance of space and place. Focusing on both the natural and built environments, the module begins by exploring the theories of space and place and moving from there, it examines how different people endow space with different amalgams of meaning. The ensuing conflicts over contested spaces are examined as power and resistance come into play in the shaping, making and governance of places. Underpinning this module is a critical review of processes and developments that characterise themediation of space' and the `making of place' with their attendant conflicts and contestations. To this end, the module critically considers the cultural construction of space and place, geographies of identity and difference, as well as power, repression and resistance.
This module seeks to: 1. To introduce students to key issues and concepts in space, place and landscape. 2. To encourage critical thinking relating to the ideas of a range of key thinkers on space and place. 3. To encourage reflecting on the social and cultural construction of real places. 4. To foreground contested spaces and places. 5. To explore issues about marginalisation and exclusion.
- Conceptualising space and place: Definitions of space, place and landscape
- Theorising space: Key thinkers on space and place
- Place and nature
- The social and cultural production of space and place
- The making and governance of places
- Contesting place: Exclusion and marginalisation,
(Standard Pass: D- to D+) a. No major omissions or inaccuracies in the deployment of information/skills. b. Some grasp of theoretical/conceptual/practical elements. c. Integration of theory/practice/information present intermittently in pursuit of the assessed work's objectives. d. Use of primary literature.
(Average to high standard Pass: C- to B+) a. Much or most of the relevant information and skills accurately displayed. b. Good/adequate grasp of theoretical/conceptual/practical elements. c. Good/fair integration of theory/practice/information in the pursuit of the assessed work's objectives. d. Evidence of the use of creative and reflective skills. e. Critical use of primary and other literature cited in the lecture.
(Excellent standard First Class: A- to A**) a. An outstanding performance, exceptionally able. b. The relevant information accurately deployed. c. Excellent grasp of theoretical/conceptual/practice elements. d. Good integration of theory/practice/information in pursuit of the assessed work's objectives. e. Strong evidence of the use of creative and reflective skills. Critical use of literature beyond that cited in the lecture.
Compare and contrast conceptualisations of space, place and landscape.
Describe and critically engage with the ideas of key thinkers on space and place.
Discuss and reflect on the social and cultural construction of real places.
Explain and evaluate contestations over space as arising from the different and sometimes conflicting amalgams of meanings that different actors endow space with.
Assess the governance of space and place and how it relates to marginalisation and exclusion.
|CYFLWYNIAD UNIGOL||Individual seminar presentation||20.00|
|CYFLWYNIAD GRWP||Field work Examined Task Presentation||10.00|
2 hours, 2 questions
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
Lectures 12 x 2 hours
Seminars 10 x 1 hours
Field visit 1 x 9 hours 1 x 4 hours
Private and guided-self study.
- Rhifedd - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio rhifau ar lefelau priodol o gywirdeb
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Gwaith Tîm - Gallu cydweithio'n adeiladol ag eraill ar dasg gyffredin, ac/neu fod yn rhan o dîm gweithio o ddydd i ddydd
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- Awareness of the concepts of spatial and temporal scale in understanding processes and relationships.
- Apply appropriate techniques for presenting spatial and/or temporal trends in data.
Rhestrau Darllen Bangor (Talis)http://readinglists.bangor.ac.uk/modules/dxx-2007.html
Rhagofynion a Chydofynion
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- L700: BA Geography year 2 (BA/GEOG)
- L701: BA Geography (with International Experience) year 2 (BA/GEOGIE)
Opsiynol mewn cyrsiau:
- F800: BSC Geography year 2 (BSC/GEOG)
- F802: BSc Geography (with International Experience) year 2 (BSC/GEOGIE)
- F801: MGeog Geography year 2 (MGEOG/G)
- F805: MGeog Geography with International Experience year 2 (MGEOG/GIE)