Bus.planning for green economy
Business Planning for Green Economies 2023-24
School of Environmental & Natural Sciences
Module - Semester 2
Entrepreneurs and small firms are the lifeblood of an economy, and make an increasing contribution to innovation, wealth creation and employment. However, there is a growing trend for corporate social responsibility to embrace environmental concerns and show conformity to a plethora of environmental standards. This module will provide a detailed insight into the concepts of entrepreneurship and the role of small firms within the economy; and how to engage with the environmental and sustainability agendas. This module encourages participants to develop a critical awareness of the nature and role of entrepreneurship and the environment in the economy and society. Candidates will learn about the process involved in new venture creation and be required to develop a sustainable business plan.
Key themes include: 1. Exploring the nature of the entrepreneur, in a historical, economic and environmental context 2. An understanding of the development and complexities of other forms of businesses such as franchises, family businesses and entrepreneurship 3. Understand the purpose of a sustainable business plan 4. Learning to complete a business plan to a sufficient depth and standard and to tailor the business plan to differing reader interests
- An understanding and appreciation of the realities of setting up a new venture in keeping with environmental concerns
- An understanding of the development and complexities of other forms of businesses such as franchises and family businesses
- Be able to complete a business plan to a sufficient depth and standard and to tailor the business plan to differing reader interest
- Be aware of the differences between the entrepreneur and the environmental manager, and the problems faced by small growth firms in sustainable growth.
- Recognise the importance and complexity of entrepreneurship and environmentalism within a large firm environment
- Understand the entrepreneurial role in relation to the initiation and development of a sustainable business
- Understand the key environmental factors of business development
- Understand the nature of the entrepreneur, particularly in a historical and economic context
- Understand the purpose of a business plan