Research Methods and Study Skills
Rhedir gan School of Computer Science and Electronic Engineering
20.000 Credyd neu 10.000 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Dr William Teahan
To equip students with skills required for completing their MSc project and subsequently to enable them to carry out independent research in the course of their professional carrier. The module therefore aims to provide principles of secondary and primary research design; planning and execution of research activities and enable students to critically review results of their investigations in a given context.
Indicative content includes:
- Research theory basics: paradigms, domains and approaches.
- Contextualisation of Research Methods in relation to MSc project scope.
- Research process: design, planning, and implementation.
- Coping with information overload, selection of secondary sources, their critical evaluation and role in independent research. Structuring literature review to inform theoretical framework and justify selection of methodology.
- Research rationale; setting research objectives and developing hypotheses.
- Primary data collection methods.
- Statistical principles of data analysis.
- Summarising results and arriving to meaningful conclusions.
- Preparing research proposals.
- Professional, legal, social, cultural and ethical issues related to computing and an awareness of societal and environmental impact of research projects.
Equivalent to the range 70%+. Assemble critically evaluated, relevent areas of knowledge and theory to constuct professional-level solutions to tasks and questions presented. Is able to cross-link themes and aspects to draw considered conclusions. Presents outputs in a cohesive, accurate, and efficient manner.
Equivalent to the range 60%-69%. Is able to analyse a task or problem to decide which aspects of theory and knowledge to apply. Solutions are of a workable quality, demonstrating understanding of underlying principles. Major themes can be linked appropriately but may not be able to extend this to individual aspects. Outputs are readily understood, with an appropriate structure but may lack sophistication.
Equivalent to 50%. Uses key areas of theory or knowledge to meet the Learning Outcomes of the module. Is able to formulate an appropriate solution to accurately solve tasks and questions. Can identify individual aspects, but lacks an awareness of links between them and the wider contexts. Outputs can be understood, but lack structure and/or coherence.
Appreciate professional, legal, social, cultural and ethical issues.
Prepare a literature review; write a short research summary underpinning project rationale.
Critically analyse and select from appropriate research methodologies.
Devise research objectives, develop research design and plan research activities.
|CYFLWYNIAD GRWP||Team Work - research rationale, question and objectives.||
Idea generation via brainstorming, formation and verification of research questions, development of research objectives.
|GWAITH CWRS||Methodology proposal||
Justified and critically evaluated (in terms of its applied execution) proposal of research methodology required to answer previously established research question.
|ASTUDIAETH ACHOS||Research Methods Case Study||
Prepare a solution for a specified research problem or task using theoretical and applied principles of data collection and analysis.
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
Independent group work with allocated members' tasks.
Brainstorming workshop and presentatiion of group work.
Preparation for open book exam.
Traditional lectures (2 hrs x 10 weeks).
Individually written methodology proposal.
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Rhifedd - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio rhifau ar lefelau priodol o gywirdeb
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Ymwybyddiaeth o ddiogelwch - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch amgylchedd a hyder o ran cadw at reoliadau iechyd a diogelwch
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Gwaith Tîm - Gallu cydweithio'n adeiladol ag eraill ar dasg gyffredin, ac/neu fod yn rhan o dîm gweithio o ddydd i ddydd
- Rheloaeth - Gallu defnyddio, cydlynu a rheoli adnoddau (dynol, ffisegol ac/neu ariannol)
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- Identify emerging technologies and technology trends;
- Apply an understanding and appreciation of continuous improvement techniques
- Apply underpinning concepts and ideas of engineering;
- Solve problems logically and systematically;
- Assess and choose optimal methods and approaches for the specification, design, implementation and evaluation of engineering solutions.
- Plan, budget, organise and manage people and resources;
- Agree objectives and work plans with individuals;
- Appreciate the importance of designing products with due regard to good laboratory practice, health and safety considerations and ethical issues.
- Access and synthesize information and literature sources;
- Use both verbal and written communication skills to different target audiences;
- Communicate proposals persuasively and respond positively to feedback;
- Analyse and display data using appropriate methods and mathematical techniques;
- Demonstrate an awareness of current advances and contemporary approaches in the discipline and have strategies for keeping that awareness current;
- Knowledge and understanding of facts, concepts, principles & theories
- Use of such knowledge in modelling and design
- Problem solving strategies
- Recognise legal, social, ethical & professional issues
- Knowledge and understanding of commercial and economic issues
- Knowledge of management techniques to achieve objectives
- Development of general transferable skills
- Knowledge and/or understanding of appropriate scientific and engineering principles
- Knowledge and understanding of mathematical principles
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- G4AS: MSc Advanced Computer Science year 1 (MSC/ACS)
- G5BB: MSc Advanced Data Science year 1 (MSC/ADS)
- G5AR: MSc Broadband and Optical Communication year 1 (MSC/BROPCOMM)
- G5BC: MSc Computing for Data Science year 1 (MSC/CDS)
- G5BA: MSc Computing year 1 (MSC/COMP)
- H6AJ: MSc Electronic Engineering year 1 (MSC/ELENG)
- G5BD: MSc Rise of the Machines year 1 (MSC/MACH)
- H6AF: MSc Nanotechnology and Microfabrication year 1 (MSC/NANOTECH)