Programmable Logic Controllers
Rhedir gan School of Computer Science and Electronic Engineering
20.000 Credyd neu 10.000 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Dr Iestyn Pierce
This unit has been designed to cover Programmable Logic Controller (PLC) concepts and their applications in engineering. A practical hands-on approach to learning with an emphasis on investigative practical work has been adopted throughout the unit. The unit initially focuses on the design characteristics and internal architecture of programmable logic control systems before examining programming techniques.
Indicative content includes:
- Design and operational characteristics of programmable logic control systems.
- Internal architecture of PLCs
- Types of input and output devices.
- Types of communication link used.
- Logic programming techniques.
- Testing and debugging programmes.
Equivalent to the range 60%-69%. Is able to analyse a task or problem to decide which aspects of theory and knowledge to apply. Solutions are of a workable quality, demonstrating understanding of underlying principles. Major themes can be linked appropriately but may not be able to extend this to individual aspects. Outputs are readily understood, with an appropriate structure but may lack sophistication.
Equivalent to 50%. Uses key areas of theory or knowledge to meet the Learning Outcomes of the module. Is able to formulate an appropriate solution to accurately solve tasks and questions. Can identify individual aspects, but lacks an awareness of links between them and the wider contexts. Outputs can be understood, but lack structure and/or coherence.
Equivalent to the range 70%+. Assemble critically evaluated, relevent areas of knowledge and theory to constuct professional-level solutions to tasks and questions presented. Is able to cross-link themes and aspects to draw considered conclusions. Presents outputs in a cohesive, accurate, and efficient manner.
Construct a functioning programmable logic controller program.
Analyse the design and operational characteristics of programmable logic control systems.
Recognise and apply PLC programming techniques.
|Individual Written Assignment||40.00|
|Written and Practical Assignment||60.00|
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
12 x 2 hour laboratory
24 x 1 hour lecture
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Rhifedd - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio rhifau ar lefelau priodol o gywirdeb
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Ymwybyddiaeth o ddiogelwch - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch amgylchedd a hyder o ran cadw at reoliadau iechyd a diogelwch
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- Apply underpinning concepts and ideas of engineering;
- Apply knowledge and understanding of the specialist cognate area of computer systems for controlling complex systems;
- Assess and choose optimal methods and approaches for the specification, design, implementation and evaluation of engineering solutions, especially ones that include embedded microprocessors
- Formulate and analyse requirements and practical constraints of products, processes and services, place them in an engineering context and manage their implementation;
- Solve problems logically and systematically;
- Assess and choose optimal methods and approaches for the specification, design, implementation and evaluation of engineering solutions.
- Systematically review factors affecting the implementation of a project, including safety and sustainability;
- Appreciate the importance of designing products with due regard to good laboratory practice, health and safety considerations and ethical issues.
- Use both verbal and written communication skills to different target audiences;
- Demonstrate familiarity with relevant subject specific and general computer software packages.
- Problem solving strategies
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- H661: MEng Control and Instrumentation Engineering year 4 (MENG/CIE)
- H601: MEng Electronic Engineering (4 yrs) year 4 (MENG/EE)
- H618: MEng Electronic Engineering with International Experience year 5 (MENG/EEIE)
- H60P: MEng Electronic Engineering with Industrial Placement year 5 (MENG/EEP)
Opsiynol mewn cyrsiau:
- H617: MEng Computer Systs Eng (4 yrs) year 4 (MENG/CSE)
- H61P: Computer Systems Engineering with Industrial Placement year 5 (MENG/CSEP)