Nano-Electronics and High-Speed Design
Nano-Electronics and High-Speed Design 2022-23
School Of Computer Science And Electronic Engineering
Module - Semester 1
This module will introduce the graduate student to high speed data communication technology, with a focus on the fundamental physics, simulation tools and nanofabrication techniques.
• Review of electromagnetics fundamentals • Waveguides • Waves in periodic media and Bragg phenomena • Splitters, interferometers, resonators and modulators • Plasmonics •Nonlinear and electrooptic effects • RF design of high speed travelling wave modulators • Fundamentals of microfabrication and nanofabrication, with a focus on high speed telecommunication chips technology • COMSOL Multiphysics applied to the design of high speed telecom chips
-threshold -Equivalent to 50%.Uses key areas of theory or knowledge to meet the Learning Outcomes of the module. Is able to formulate an appropriate solution to accurately solve tasks and questions. Can identify individual aspects, but lacks an awareness of links between them and the wider contexts. Outputs can be understood, but lack structure and/or coherence.
-good -Equivalent to the range 60%-69%.Is able to analyse a task or problem to decide which aspects of theory and knowledge to apply. Solutions are of a workable quality, demonstrating understanding of underlying principles. Major themes can be linked appropriately but may not be able to extend this to individual aspects. Outputs are readily understood, with an appropriate structure but may lack sophistication.
-excellent -Equivalent to the range 70%+.Assemble critically evaluated, relevent areas of knowledge and theory to constuct professional-level solutions to tasks and questions presented. Is able to cross-link themes and aspects to draw considered conclusions. Presents outputs in a cohesive, accurate, and efficient manner.
- Familiarisation with new high speed modulation nanotechnologies such as plasmonics
- Learning to use COMSOL Multiphysics and applying the tool to high-speed device design
- Understand the underlying physics of high speed telecommunication nanodevices
- Understanding the fundamental workings of high speed telecom device building blocks
Exam (Centrally Scheduled)
In-person written exam
Group COMSOL projects with individual oral examination and COMSOL demonstration at workstations/laptops during the semester.