Advanced optical communications
Advanced optical communications 2022-23
School Of Computer Science And Electronic Engineering
Module - Semester 1
Indicative content includes:
- Direct current modulation of laser diodes; limitations to direct current modulation; external modulation.
- Light propagation in optical fibres; fibre losses and dispersion; transmission windows
- High impedance and transimpedance receivers; optical amplifiers and repeaters
- WDM; Mechanisms for optical switching and routing
- Coherent Optical Communications Systems; Modulation Formats; Modulator Technologies.
-threshold -Equivalent to 50%.Uses key areas of theory or knowledge to meet the Learning Outcomes of the module. Is able to formulate an appropriate solution to accurately solve tasks and questions. Can identify individual aspects, but lacks an awareness of links between them and the wider contexts. Outputs can be understood, but lack structure and/or coherence. -good -Equivalent to the range 60%-69%.Is able to analyse a task or problem to decide which aspects of theory and knowledge to apply. Solutions are of a workable quality, demonstrating understanding of underlying principles. Major themes can be linked appropriately but may not be able to extend this to individual aspects. Outputs are readily understood, with an appropriate structure but may lack sophistication. -excellent -Equivalent to the range 70%+.Assemble critically evaluated, relevent areas of knowledge and theory to constuct professional-level solutions to tasks and questions presented. Is able to cross-link themes and aspects to draw considered conclusions. Presents outputs in a cohesive, accurate, and efficient manner.
- Analyse the design of optical fibre waveguides and receivers.
- Contrast direct and indirect modulation of semiconductor lasers.
- Describe the principles of optical amplifiers, and recognise their operating characteristics.
- Differentiate and describe features of conventional and coherent optical communications systems.
- Illustrate WDM system and the optical components used in WDM, and the processes involved within optical switches and routers.
Exam (Centrally Scheduled)
Closed Book Examination
A report of ~ 1500 words on WDM system, including 1. Describe WDM system (8% )and the benefits of using WDM (12%); 2. Types of WDM system (10% ); 3. The optical components used in the implementation of WDM technology and define their function and explain how to achieve these functions (Optical couplers 9%, tunable optical filters 9%, multiplexers and demultiplexers 16%, optical switching 9%, add–drop Multiplexers 9%, wavelength converters 9% and tunable light source 9%),