Advanced optical communications
Rhedir gan School of Computer Science and Electronic Engineering
20.000 Credyd neu 10.000 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Dr Yanhua Hong
The main learning objective is to treat the design and operating characteristics of fibre optical communication systems. Students will obtain an understanding of the light source; principles of optical modulation; characteristics of optical fibre waveguides, optical amplifiers and optical receivers. In addition students will gain an appreciation of the role of these components in determining the performance of practical optical communications systems.
Indicative content includes:
- Direct current modulation of laser diodes; limitations to direct current modulation; external modulation.
- Light propagation in optical fibres; fibre losses and dispersion; transmission windows
- High impedance and transimpedance receivers; optical amplifiers and repeaters
- WDM; Mechanisms for optical switching and routing
- Coherent Optical Communications Systems; Modulation Formats; Modulator Technologies.
Equivalent to 50%. Uses key areas of theory or knowledge to meet the Learning Outcomes of the module. Is able to formulate an appropriate solution to accurately solve tasks and questions. Can identify individual aspects, but lacks an awareness of links between them and the wider contexts. Outputs can be understood, but lack structure and/or coherence.
Equivalent to the range 70%+. Assemble critically evaluated, relevent areas of knowledge and theory to constuct professional-level solutions to tasks and questions presented. Is able to cross-link themes and aspects to draw considered conclusions. Presents outputs in a cohesive, accurate, and efficient manner.
Equivalent to the range 60%-69%. Is able to analyse a task or problem to decide which aspects of theory and knowledge to apply. Solutions are of a workable quality, demonstrating understanding of underlying principles. Major themes can be linked appropriately but may not be able to extend this to individual aspects. Outputs are readily understood, with an appropriate structure but may lack sophistication.
Differentiate and describe features of conventional and coherent optical communications systems.
Describe the principles of optical amplifiers, and recognise their operating characteristics.
Illustrate WDM system and the optical components used in WDM, and the processes involved within optical switches and routers.
Contrast direct and indirect modulation of semiconductor lasers.
Analyse the design of optical fibre waveguides and receivers.
|Closed Book Examination||50.00|
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
Lectures (2 hrs x 10 weeks).
Unassessed demonstration of the Laser laboratory and equipment. (1x1 hour session per student, in groups).
Extended tutor support for taught material (3 x 1 hour sessions).
Tutor-directed study, including individual assessments.
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Rhifedd - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio rhifau ar lefelau priodol o gywirdeb
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- Identify emerging technologies and technology trends;
- Apply an understanding and appreciation of continuous improvement techniques
- Apply underpinning concepts and ideas of engineering;
- Apply knowledge and understanding of the specialist cognate area of electronic engineering in an international context;
- Assess and choose optimal methods and approaches for the specification, design, implementation and evaluation of engineering solutions, especially ones that include embedded microprocessors
- Formulate and analyse requirements and practical constraints of products, processes and services, place them in an engineering context and manage their implementation;
- Solve problems logically and systematically;
- Assess and choose optimal methods and approaches for the specification, design, implementation and evaluation of engineering solutions.
- Access and synthesize information and literature sources;
- Use both verbal and written communication skills to different target audiences;
- Analyse and display data using appropriate methods and mathematical techniques;
- Have an appreciation of moral, ethical, financial and environmental issues that may need to be considered when practicing as an engineer.¬†
- Knowledge and understanding of facts, concepts, principles & theories
- Problem solving strategies
- Analyse if/how a system meets current and future requirements
- Evaluate systems in terms of quality and trade-offs
- Knowledge and/or understanding of appropriate scientific and engineering principles
- Knowledge and understanding of mathematical principles
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- H601: MEng Electronic Engineering (4 yrs) year 4 (MENG/EE)
- H618: MEng Electronic Engineering with International Experience year 5 (MENG/EEIE)
- H60P: MEng Electronic Engineering with Industrial Placement year 5 (MENG/EEP)
- G5AR: MSc Broadband and Optical Communication year 1 (MSC/BROPCOMM)
- H6AJ: MSc Electronic Engineering year 1 (MSC/ELENG)
Opsiynol mewn cyrsiau:
- H6AX: MRes Electronic Engineering year 1 (MRES/EE)