Rhedir gan School of Computer Science and Electronic Engineering
20.000 Credyd neu 10.000 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Prof Ludmila Kuncheva
To introduce the fundamentals of machine learning which include basic and advanced classification methods, clustering and feature selection. To enable the students to apply some of the learned methods to real data sets.
Indicative content includes:
- Basics of machine learning: Concepts of object, class, feature. Training and testing protocols. Error estimation. ROC curves. Supervised and unsupervised learning.
- Classification methods: basic classifiers and classifier ensembles.
- Feature selection.
- Neural networks: standard architectures and deep learning.
Equivalent to the range 60%-69%. Is able to analyse a task or problem to decide which aspects of theory and knowledge to apply. Solutions are of a workable quality, demonstrating understanding of underlying principles. Major themes can be linked appropriately but may not be able to extend this to individual aspects. Outputs are readily understood, with an appropriate structure but may lack sophistication.
Equivalent to the range 70%+. Assemble critically evaluated, relevant areas of knowledge and theory to construct professional-level solutions to tasks and questions presented. Is able to cross-link themes and aspects to draw considered conclusions. Presents outputs in a cohesive, accurate, and efficient manner.
Equivalent to 50%. Uses key areas of theory or knowledge to meet the Learning Outcomes of the module. Is able to formulate an appropriate solution to accurately solve tasks and questions. Can identify individual aspects, but lacks an awareness of links between them and the wider contexts. Outputs can be understood, but lack structure and/or coherence.
Summarise neural network models and their training procedures.
Understand feature selection methods.
Explain and apply the basic notions and principles of machine learning.
Evaluate classifier models and their operation using appropriate metrics and measures.
Detail and apply clustering algorithms to data sets.
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
2 lectures per week x 12 weeks
24 hours over 12 weeks (2 hours per week) including 72 hours for preparation.
Self-study. Revision after the lectures. Preparation for the exam and writing the assignments.
- Rhifedd - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio rhifau ar lefelau priodol o gywirdeb
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- Knowledge and understanding of facts, concepts, principles & theories
- Use of such knowledge in modelling and design
- Problem solving strategies
- Development of general transferable skills
- Methods, techniques and tools for information modelling, management and security
- Knowledge and understanding of mathematical principles
- Knowledge and understanding of computational modelling
Goblygiadau o ran adnoddau ar gyfer myfyrwyr