Principles of Prevention and Equity DL
Rhedir gan School of Medical and Health Sciences
10.000 Credyd neu 5.000 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Dr Nathan Bray
The module aims to identify and analyse the theory and practice of preventative health and equity. Students will develop a critical understanding of the concepts and determinants of health and wellbeing. The conceptual, theoretical and philosophical frameworks that underpin prevention of ill health will be examined in detail. This will enable students to critically evaluate different models and approaches, and justify their use in different contexts. A key component of this module is the focus on promoting equity in health. Critical skills and understanding relating to the conduct of health needs assessment will be developed.
A lecture series will provide an understanding of health, preventative health, and equity in health. These lectures will explore risk, limitations, ethics and politics of implementing preventative health interventions. Each lecture will be accompanied by a reading list accessible through the University library.
Seminars will provide you with an opportunity to discuss and debate these key concepts in prevention and equity, with a specific view to assessing health equity and prevention within your own workplace.
Assessments will enable you to evidence your knowledge in report critically assessing health equity and prevention within your own organisation to draw together a set of recommendations and a presentation of these recommendations targeted at your employer.
A* to A- • Insightful awareness into how organisations can enhance and promote prevention and equity in health • Comprehensive knowledge of concepts relating to prevention and equity in health • Detailed understanding with no factual errors • Critical analysis showing evaluation and synthesis of ideas • Originality in approach, interpretation, and/or voice • Extensive independent research • Logically defended arguments with evidence for all claims • Highly focused and well structured • Excellent presentation with accurate and appropriate expression • Correct format in appropriate referencing style
B+ to B- • Some insight into how organisations can enhance and promote prevention and equity in health • Strong knowledge of concepts relating to prevention and equity in health • Clear understanding and mostly free of factual errors • Some analysis showing critical evaluation and links between ideas • Some originality in approach, interpretation, and/or voice • Some independent research • Coherent arguments with evidence for most claims • Focused and well structured • Good presentation with accurate and appropriate expression • Mostly correct format in appropriate referencing style
C+ to C- • Limited insight into how organisations can enhance and promote prevention and equity in health • Some knowledge of concepts relating to prevention and equity in health • Understanding of the main concepts, but with factual errors in non-core concepts • Limited analysis showing only obvious points of evaluation and links between ideas • Highly limited originality in approach, interpretation, and/or voice • Highly limited evidence of independent research • Arguments presented but lack coherence with evidence for only some claims • Focused but with some irrelevant material and weaknesses in structure • Acceptable presentation with appropriate expression • Attempt at correct format in appropriate referencing style
Demonstrate a critical and integrative understanding of the principles, practices, policies, and legislation for the preventative health and wellbeing of future generations.
Develop inclusive, equitable, safe, and sustainable approaches for preventative health and wellbeing.
Show a holistic understanding of equity and inclusive approaches to preventative health, with a critical and evaluative appreciation of how social, economic, and health factors may discriminate against groups with protected characteristics.
Deliver information in a persuasive and succinct way to present recommendations for organisational change
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
Ten 1hr lectures covering the core subject content. Some lectures may be delivered pre-recorded with scheduled access to lecturers for questions live online. Other lectures will be delivered live online.
1hr weekly seminar for 11 weeks Seminars will be delivered live online.
79hrs of independent study to complete associated readings and produce assessments
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Ymwybyddiaeth o ddiogelwch - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch amgylchedd a hyder o ran cadw at reoliadau iechyd a diogelwch
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Rheloaeth - Gallu defnyddio, cydlynu a rheoli adnoddau (dynol, ffisegol ac/neu ariannol)
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
- Arweinyddiaeth - Gallu arwain a rheoli, datblygu cynlluniau gweithredu ac amcanion, cynnig arweiniad a chyfarwyddyd i eraill, ac ymdopi â'r pwysau sy'n gysylltiedig ag awdurdod o'r fath
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- Able to review the current culture and environment of an organisation to identify areas for development
- Critical understanding of theories of preventative health and health equity
- Innovative design of interventions to enhance health and equity at an organisational level
Goblygiadau o ran adnoddau ar gyfer myfyrwyr
Rhestrau Darllen Bangor (Talis)http://readinglists.bangor.ac.uk/modules/ila-4911.html
Bennett, P. (2010). Risk communication and public health. 2nd ed. Oxford UP. Cross, R., Warwick-Booth, L., Rowlands, S., Woodall, J., O'Neil, I. & Foster, S. (2021). Health promotion: Global principles and practice. CABI. Haring, K., Ganten, M., Haring, R., Kickbusch, I, Ganten, D., & Moeti, M. Handbook of global health. Springer. Holland, S. (2015). Public health ethics (2nd ed).Polity Press. Laverack, G. (2019). Public health : Power, empowerment and professional practice (Fourth ed.). Red Globe Press Shaw, M. (2007). The handbook of inequality and socioeconomic position. Policy.