Rhedir gan School of Human and Behavioural Sciences
10.000 Credyd neu 5.000 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Dr Anthony Blanchfield
The dietary habits that an athlete maintains can be an integral part of their assent to the top of their sport. To help an athlete realise their full potential they need a knowledgeable team of sport scientists to work with them. Because every athlete is different, it is important that the sport scientist knows how to develop and implement effective nutrition plans. This is important for short-term performance, post exercise recovery, long-term adaptation, and also health. We will focus specifically on these things to establish how sport nutrition can support athletes to perform at their peak
You will learn about the modern and traditional influence that nutrition has on elite athlete performance and health and how science translates into nutritional practice. This will include - understanding the specific nutritional demands of the exercising individual; including, the role of carbohydrate, fat, protein and fluid availability and the effect of various dietary strategies on performance and health. You will explore whether nutritional supplements can improve athlete performance and health. The module aims to increase your confidence in translating the core science into practical nutritional advice for pre-event, during event and recovery.
Important: module failure that prevents you passing the year will require resit assessment and attendance at Supplementary Assessment Week (exact date TBC)
Evidence of extensive and thorough understanding of the learning outcomes listed; good capacity to interpret, relate and use material flexibly; succinct critical writing; no notable omissions or rerrors or irrelevancies; adequate referencing, using adequate primary sources.
Students must show an ability to critically reconstruct material and evidence of wide reading of current research literature and extensive use of primary sources. Students are able to accurately present, interpret and analyse data and form clear conclusions to answer the question.
Limited evidence of understanding of the learning outcomes listed; work generally descriptive in nature; notable omissions, errors and irrelevancies; poor referencing and use of primary sources.
Apply previously acquired biochemical and physiological knowledge to understand digestion of macro/micro nutrients and their fate in energy metabolism
Demonstrate a clear understanding of how diet generally influences sports performance and how different events have different nutritional requirements
Understand the specific role of macronutrients (e.g., carbohydrate, fat protein) and fluid availability in the diet of an athlete and how this may vary according to the sport in which the athlete is involved.
Demonstrate the effects of ergogenic aids on sports performance
Demonstrate a clear understanding of the appropriate use of dietary analysis with sport performers
|Nutrition Case Study||85.00|
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
Required and recommended reading each week.
The course will be lecture driven with opportunities for student interaction, active tasks, and questions and answers
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Gwaith Tîm - Gallu cydweithio'n adeiladol ag eraill ar dasg gyffredin, ac/neu fod yn rhan o dîm gweithio o ddydd i ddydd
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- critically assess and evaluate data and evidence in the context of research methodologies and data sources
- describe, synthesise, interpret, analyse and evaluate information and data relevant to a professional or vocational context
- plan, design, execute and communicate a sustained piece of independent intellectual work, which provides evidence of critical engagement with, and interpretation of, appropriate data
- apply knowledge to the solution of familiar and unfamiliar problems
- develop a sustained reasoned argument, perhaps challenging previously held assumptions
- demonstrate effective written and/or oral communication and presentation skills
- work effectively independently and with others
- take and demonstrate responsibility for their own learning and continuing personal and professional development
- self-appraise and reflect on practice
- plan and design practical activities using appropriate techniques and procedures whilst demonstrating high levels of relevant skills
- demonstrate evidence of competence in the scientific methods of enquiry, and interpretation and analysis of relevant data and statistical outputs.
- develop transferable skills of relevance to careers outside of sport, health and exercise sciences.
- communicate succinctly at a level appropriate to different audiences.
- accurately interpret case study data
- develop justifiable and/or evidence-based interventions
Rhestrau Darllen Bangor (Talis)http://readinglists.bangor.ac.uk/modules/jxh-2027.html
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- C61F: BSc Sport & Exercise Science with Foundation Year year 2 (BSC/SESF)
- CB69: BSC Sport, Health & Exercise Sci. year 2 (BSC/SHES)
- CB70: BSc Sport, Health & Exercise Science with International Exp year 2 (BSC/SHSIE)
- C600: BSC Sports Science year 2 (BSC/SPS)
- C60P: BSc Sport Science with Placement Year year 2 (BSC/SPSP)
- C604: BSc Sports Science (with International Experience) year 2 (BSC/SSIE)
- C608: MSci Sport, Health and Exercise Sciences year 2 (MSCI/SHS)
- C607: MSci Sport Science year 2 (MSCI/SS)
- C613: MSci Sport Science with International Experience year 2 (MSCI/SSIE)
Opsiynol mewn cyrsiau:
- CQ65: BA Cymraeg/Sports Science year 2 (BA/SPSW)
- C611: BSc Adventure Sport Science year 2 (BSC/ASS)
- C61P: BSc Adventure Sport Science with Placement Year year 2 (BSC/ASSP)
- C651: BSC Sport- Health & Physical Educ year 2 (BSC/SHPE)
- C602: BSC Sport Science (ODA) year 2 (BSC/SSOA)
- C612: MSci Adventure Sport Science year 2 (MSCI/ASS)
- C609: MSci Sport Science (Outdoor Activities) year 2 (MSCI/SSOA)