Rhedir gan School of Human and Behavioural Sciences
20.000 Credyd neu 10.000 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Dr Anthony Blanchfield
Exercise is often described as a "magic pill" as it has the potential to rid the world of all its health-related problems, yet the world is becoming more sedentary and problems associated with obesity are on the rise. In this module we will explore some of the major theoretical and practical issues in applied exercise psychology to try and understand why people might not exercise as much as they could, how we can help people exercise more, and when exercise might be unhealthy.
Delivered by researchers and practitioners with over 15 years applied experience, we will cover the following topics: the role of mental skills and confidence in exercising regularly; barriers and motivators for exercise; exercise participation and well-being; motivation and motivationally supportive environments; and counselling for exercise behaviour change. In addition, a student-led approach will be adopted with students researching and verbally presenting material on a chosen topic.
Highly imaginative and realistic client/group scenario; excellent knowledge and understanding of chosen theoretical perspective; insightful application of chosen theory/theories to practice; very clear integration of different theoretical perspectives where more than one is used; explicit presentation of a rationale for the intervention; extremely concise and succinct writing style with no superfluous material; evidence of considerable reading/research beyond that given in the reading pack in preparation for the assignment.
Realistic but unimaginative client/group scenario; some knowledge and understanding of chosen theoretical perspective; basic application of chosen theory/theories to practice; little or no attempt to integrate different theoretical perspectives where more than one is used; rudimentary rationale presented for the intervention; lacking a concise and succinct writing style and including superfluous material; no evidence of reading/research beyond that given in the reading pack in preparation for the assignment.
Imaginative and realistic client/group scenario; good knowledge and understanding of chosen theoretical perspective; good application of chosen theory/theories to practice; integration of different theoretical perspectives where more than one is used; presentation of a rationale for the intervention; concise and succinct writing style with no superfluous material; evidence of wide reading/research beyond that given in the reading pack in preparation for the assignment.
Develop a deep and critical understanding of how self-determination theory can be applied to exercise contexts
Develop a deep and critical understanding of how to create an environment that fosters motivation for exercise behaviour change
Critically understand the major barriers and motivators for exercise
Demonstrate a familiarity with a chosen area of exercise psychology
Identify relevant aspects of mental skills and understand their influence on self-confidence
Critically understand the role of exercise in the promotion of well-being
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
11 x 4 hr Lectures taking a seminar format with students playing an active role in discussing lecture material
Private study will assist students in further developing their knowledge along with completing the module assignments
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Gwaith Tîm - Gallu cydweithio'n adeiladol ag eraill ar dasg gyffredin, ac/neu fod yn rhan o dîm gweithio o ddydd i ddydd
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- research and assess paradigms, theories, principles, concepts and factual information, and apply such skills in explaining and solving problems
- critically assess and evaluate data and evidence in the context of research methodologies and data sources
- describe, synthesise, interpret, analyse and evaluate information and data relevant to a professional or vocational context
- plan, design, execute and communicate a sustained piece of independent intellectual work, which provides evidence of critical engagement with, and interpretation of, appropriate data
- develop a sustained reasoned argument, perhaps challenging previously held assumptions
- demonstrate effective written and/or oral communication and presentation skills
- work effectively independently and with others
- self-appraise and reflect on practice
- plan and design practical activities using appropriate techniques and procedures whilst demonstrating high levels of relevant skills
- develop justifiable and/or evidence-based interventions
Rhestrau Darllen Bangor (Talis)http://readinglists.bangor.ac.uk/modules/jxh-4409.html