Translation Studies Dissertation
Rhedir gan School of Arts, Culture and Language
60.000 Credyd neu 30.000 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Prof Helena Miguelez-Carballeira
- To enable students to put into practice the analytical, research and cognitive skills developed during semesters one and two.
- To enable students to undertake a major piece of research or an extended practical translation providing essential knowledge for further study at M.Phil or doctoral level.
- To enable students to gain profound knowledge of an area related to the course and to develop their ideas and research skills independently.
With guidance, students will be asked to choose a topic of their own for further research, an extended text for translation into their language speciality or a comparative research topic in two of their language specialities. In the case of a research-based 15,000-word dissertation, they will be expected to produce an independently researched piece which will reflect and prove the knowledge and skills they have acquired during the taught modules. The topic chosen may be specific to one culture or comparative. The extended translation option will require the student to submit a 12,000-word translation of his/her choice (the selection of this text will be consulted with the relevant supervisor) followed by an 8,000-word detailed commentary where relevant translational strategies, theories and choices are explained.
C- - C+: Summarizes relevant scholarship in an area; capable of recognising the most obvious counter-arguments; documents the majority of sources correctly; structures exposition and arguments clearly; provides translation choices which are apt yet loosely justified or seemingly arbitrary.
B- - B+: Capable of original insights, though not always exploring or recognising their full significance; shows a critical understanding of the relevant scholarship in the field; structures exposition and arguments clearly; provides translation choices which are in correspondence with relevant theoretical/critical issues.
A- - A*: Work presented to a standard which would be acceptable for publication in an appropriate specialist journal; demonstrates critical understanding of relevant scholarship, and places original insights in the context of that scholarship. Provides original and accomplished translation choices which are attentive to theoretical/critical issues.
To enable students to gain profound knowledge of an area related to the course and to develop their ideas and research skills independently.
The effective management of material and time in producing a substantial piece of independently researched work.
To enable students to undertake a major piece of research or an extended practical translation providing essential knowledge for further study at M.Phil or doctoral level.
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
Rhagofynion a Chydofynion
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- T9AD: MA Translation Studies year 1 (MA/TRANS)