3 Lang Project (3 major)
Rhedir gan School of Arts, Culture and Language
20.000 Credydau neu 10.000 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Prof Helena Miguelez-Carballeira
The aim of this module is to provide students with the opportunity to undertake an extended piece of work during their semester in a Spanish-speaking country. The project enables students to develop in-depth knowledge of a specific element of Spanish, Catalan or Galician life, literature or culture while also enhancing their written and spoken level of Spanish language. The chosen subject area should be something that is not already a specific component of the syllabus, thereby encouraging students to develop independent study and research skills.
Provided it meets with the approval of the relevant members of staff in Modern Languages, the chosen subject or translation passage may concern any aspect of Spanish, Catalan or Galician life, literature, history or culture. The chosen subject area / translation passage should not be something that is already a specific component of the syllabus. Texts chosen for translation should not already exist in English/Welsh translation. The essay/presentation will be in the target language.
C- - B+: Solid comprehension of the chosen topic; adequate display of independent research skills and good knowledge of vocabulary and grammar.
A- - A*: Detailed comprehension of the chosen topic; extensive display of independent research skills and excellent knowledge of vocabulary and grammar.
D- - D+: Satisfactory comprehension of the chosen topic; limited display of independent research skills and limited knowledge of vocabulary and grammar.
Display the ability to conduct EITHER research OR extended translation work independently.
Demonstrate the ability to EITHER gather information and condense it in a clear and coherent argument in the target language, orally or in writing, OR make informed decisions on translation choices, considering the socio-political and historical context of the source text.
Display some evidence of original analytical thinking.
Display competency in Spanish language and grammar.
Display familiarity with EITHER citation and referencing techniques (including compiling a bibliography) OR advanced translation techniques.
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
Lecture (2 hour, introduction to project)
Includes supervisory meetings.
- Literacy - Proficiency in reading and writing through a variety of media
- Self-Management - Able to work unsupervised in an efficient, punctual and structured manner. To examine the outcomes of tasks and events, and judge levels of quality and importance
- Exploring - Able to investigate, research and consider alternatives
- Information retrieval - Able to access different and multiple sources of information
- Inter-personal - Able to question, actively listen, examine given answers and interact sentistevely with others
- Critical analysis & Problem Solving - Able to deconstruct and analyse problems or complex situations. To find solutions to problems through analyses and exploration of all possibilities using appropriate methods, rescources and creativity.
- Presentation - Able to clearly present information and explanations to an audience. Through the written or oral mode of communication accurately and concisely.
- Argument - Able to put forward, debate and justify an opinion or a course of action, with an individual or in a wider group setting
- Self-awareness & Reflectivity - Having an awareness of your own strengths, weaknesses, aims and objectives. Able to regularly review, evaluate and reflect upon the performance of yourself and others
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- Extract and synthesise key information from written and/or spoken sources in English / Welsh and/or the target language. (Benchmark statement 5.14)
- The ability to organise and present ideas within the framework of a structured and reasoned argument in written and/or oral assignments and class discussions. (Benchmark statement 5.14)
- Critical skills in the close reading, description, reasoning and analysis of primary and secondary sources in the target language and/or English or Welsh (incl. filmic, literary and other sources). (Benchmark statement 5.13, 5.14, 5.15)
- Competence in the planning and execution of essays, presentations and other written and project work; bibliographic skills, including the accurate citation of sources and consistent use of conventions and appropriate style in the presentation of scholarly work. (Benchmark statement 5.10, 5.14, 5.15)
- The ability to gather information, analyse, interpret and discuss different viewpoints and to place these in a wider socio-cultural and/or geo-historical and political and/or socio-linguistic context and to revise and re-evaluate judgements in light of those of the course leader, certain individuals or groups studied and/or fellow students. (Benchmark statement 5.13, 5.15 and 5.16)
- The ability to write and think under pressure and meet deadlines. (Benchmark statement 5.15)
- The ability to write effective notes and access and manage course materials including electronic resources / information provided on online learning platforms and library resources. (Benchmark statement 5.15, 5.16)
- The ability to work creatively and flexibly both independently and/or as part of a team. (Benchmark statement 5.15).
- The ability and willingness to engage with and appreciate other cultures and to articulate to others (in written and verbal form) the contribution that the culture has made at a regional and global level. (Benchmark statement 5.7)
- The ability to grasp and discuss how films reflect objective or subjective positions in their treatment of their subject matter. (Benchmark statement 5.7 and 5.10)
- The ability to comprehend, critically engage with and apply relevant theoretical concepts to materials being studied. (Benchmark statement 5.10)
- The ability to engage in analytical, evaluative and original thinking. (Benchmark statement 5.14)
- Critical understanding of key topics in the sphere of modern critical, cultural and translation theory, highlighting landmark figures and offering close readings of segments of their texts. (Benchmark statement 5.10)
- The ability to organise and present ideas and arguments in presentations, classroom discussions and debates. (Benchmark statement 5.14, 5.16)
- Develop reading and audio-visual comprehension skills in the target language through the study of primary sources in the target language. (Benchmark statement 5.3, 5.4)
- Skills in the critical reading and analysis of literary and/or musical and/or filmic texts. (Benchmark statement 5.10)
- The ability to develop and manage an independent research project in the target language. (Benchmark statement 5.3, 5.4, 5.10, 5.15, 5.16)
- The ability to translate and critically analyse the translation of a substantial piece of text in the target language. (Benchmark statement 5.3, 5.4, 5.10)
- The ability to critically understand cultural studies concepts on cultural hybridity and their application to core Italian postcolonial texts. (Benchmark statements 5.7, 5.10).
Rhagofynion a Chydofynion
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- R912: BA French, German & Spanish year 2 (BA/FGS4#)
- R91F: BA French, German & Spanish [with Foundation Year] year 2 (BA/FGS4#F)
- R917: BA French, Italian & Spanish year 2 (BA/FIS4#)
- R925: BA German, Italian & Spanish year 2 (BA/GIS4#)