Rhedir gan School of Medical and Health Sciences
60.000 Credyd neu 30.000 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Dr Sara Lisabeth Roberts
This module provides students with the opportunity to complete a piece of research or scholarly enquiry related to their chosen MSc pathway or programme that will lead to an MSc degree award. The module will facilitate and guide students to enable them to undertake primary, secondary or literature based research. Each paradigm and methodology will produce its own challenges as primary, secondary or systematic literature reviews demand the demonstration of advanced Masters level research skills by students. This module demands a high level of student autonomy and independent enquiry which is reflected in the amount of supervision available to students. Students are encouraged to network with each other and participate in online discussions via Blackboard as well as making appropriate use of their allocated supervisor.
Research project management (strategies, time and resources) in order to complete the dissertation within the guidelines given and timescales available.
Critical appraisal of the literature.
Advanced skills in literature searching and the use of a wide range of resources.
Structuring and writing up a dissertation.
Comprehensive understanding of ethics, governance and good research practice.
Engaging with supervision, self direction and independent enquiry
Threshold B- grade. Demonstrate a good knowledge of key areas/principles related to the research topic and study design. Have strong evidence of exploration of theory related to the dissertation. Be focused on the dissertation learning outcomes with few examples of irrelevant material or weaknesses in structure. Presents relevant and logical arguments in line with the expectation of an MSc Dissertation. Contains few factual/computational errors. Good analysis and/or explanation of a range issues in relation to the topic and research design. Be free of many weaknesses in presentation and accuracy.
Threshold C- grade, minimum 50% (pass) Demonstrate knowledge of key areas/principles related to the research topic and study design. Have some, if only limited, evidence of exploration of theory related to the dissertation. Be focused on the dissertation learning outcomes with only some irrelevant material and weaknesses in structure. Attempt to present relevant and logical arguments in line with the expectation of an MSc Dissertation. Not contain a large number of factual/computational errors. Attempt to analyse and/or explain issues explored in relation to the topic and research design. Be free of major weaknesses in presentation and accuracy.
Threshold A- grade. Demonstrate an excellent knowledge of key areas/principles related to the research topic and study design. Have comprehensive evidence of exploration of theory related to the dissertation. Be focused on the dissertation learning outcomes no irrelevant material or weaknesses in structure. Presents a wide range of relevant and logical arguments to a high standard within an MSc Dissertation. Contains no factual/computational errors. An excellent analysis and explanation of a wide range of issues explored in relation to the topic and research design. Be free of weaknesses in presentation and accuracy.
Articulate a strategy for disseminating the research project findings within the dissertation through a specific plan for implementation that will promote the use and impact of the findings.
Demonstrate an appropriate level of self-direction, autonomy and reflexivity as a novice researcher to develop and deliver a research project that corresponds to the MSc pathway undertaken.
Demonstrate resourceful and innovative formulation of the design, data collection, analysis and management of the research project, synthesising findings and drawing conclusions from the work undertaken.
Ensure that the interpretation of findings are relevant to contemporary theory, research and practice contexts where appropriate, as well as to the student’s role/specialism within their chosen MSc pathway.
Present a well-developed critical analysis of literature and evidence to provide a sound rationale for the project, building upon a sound theoretical framework and, where appropriate, relates to the practice context for the orientation of the research.
Use scholarly enquiry and critical analysis to plan, develop and implement a robust research project that justifies the research methodology, design, and techniques utilised.
The dissertation will be in the form of a 20,000 word report of a research study or scholarly work which reflects appropriate research procedure and which is required to be independently completed with guidance from a nominated supervisor.
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
|Practical classes and workshops||
Module induction study day
E-learning – Blackboard on-line forum and use of online resources as relevant to the research design
Primarily independent study which is supervised by 1:1 individual supervision with a nominated module supervisor (engagement on a monthly basis expected). Students can also access the Module Leader for additional support if required.
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Rhifedd - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio rhifau ar lefelau priodol o gywirdeb
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Ymwybyddiaeth o ddiogelwch - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch amgylchedd a hyder o ran cadw at reoliadau iechyd a diogelwch
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Gwaith Tîm - Gallu cydweithio'n adeiladol ag eraill ar dasg gyffredin, ac/neu fod yn rhan o dîm gweithio o ddydd i ddydd
- Mentora - Gallu cefnogi, helpu, arwain, ysbrydoli ac/neu hyfforddi eraill
- Gofalu - Dangos consyrn am eraill; gofalu am blant, pobl ag anableddau ac/neu'r henoed
- Rheloaeth - Gallu defnyddio, cydlynu a rheoli adnoddau (dynol, ffisegol ac/neu ariannol)
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
- Arweinyddiaeth - Gallu arwain a rheoli, datblygu cynlluniau gweithredu ac amcanion, cynnig arweiniad a chyfarwyddyd i eraill, ac ymdopi â'r pwysau sy'n gysylltiedig ag awdurdod o'r fath
Goblygiadau o ran adnoddau ar gyfer myfyrwyr
Students may also need to fund materials for data collection such as questionnaires and expenses such as travel for data collection.
Rhestrau Darllen Bangor (Talis)http://readinglists.bangor.ac.uk/modules/nhs-4233.html
AVEYARD, H., 2009. Doing a literature review in health and social care: A practical guide. Maidenhead. McGraw-Hill.
BIGGAM, J., 2011. Succeeding with your Master’s Dissertation: A step-by-step handbook 2nd Edition. Buckingham. Open University Press.
CASEY, D., CLARK, L., and HAYES, S., 2011. Study skills for Master’s level students: A health and social care workbook. Exeter. Reflect Press.
Text recommended for research methods
BELL, J., 2005. Doing Your Research Project: A Guide for First-Time Researchers in Education, Health and Social Science, 4th Edition. Buckingham: Open University Press.
BOWLING, A., 2009. Research Methods in Health. 3rd Edition. Buckingham: Open University Press.
COLE, A.L., and KNOWLES, J.G., 2001. Lives in context: the art of life history research. Oxford: AltiMira.
FIELD, A., 2009. Discovering Statistics Using SPSS, 3rd Edition. London, Sage.
MAY, T., 2001. Qualitative Research in Action. London: Sage Publications.
DENZIN, N.K. and LINCON, Y.S., 20017. Handbook of Qualitative Research. London: Sage.
ANGUS, L.E and McLEOD, J., 2004. The handbook of narrative and psychotherapy; practice, theory and research. London: Sage Publications.
PLUMMER, K., 2001. Documents of life 2: an invitation to a critical humanism. Sage: London.
PALLANT, J., 2010. SPSS Survival Manual: A Step by Step Guide to Data Analysis Using SPSS for Windows, 4th Edition. Buckingham, Open University Press.
ROBERTS, B., 2002. Biographical Research. Buckingham: Open University Press.