Advanced Research Skills
Rhedir gan School of Ocean Sciences
20.000 Credyd neu 10.000 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Dr Sarah Zylinski
Scientists are required to consider a range of issues including Health and Safety, ethics and data analysis when planning experiments and surveys. This module will provide students with knowledge of relevant Health and Safety and Environmental legislation, and case studies will be used to demonstrate techniques of hazard assessment and risk control. Students will learn about the principals of experimental design and some widely applicable techniques of data analysis. This fundamental knowledge will be complemented by consideration of more specialised analytical techniques relevant to particular fields of research.
STATISTICAL ANALYSIS AND EXPERIMENTAL DESIGN: All students will follow a core program of lectures that will provide training in techniques of experimental design and analysis that are applicable to a wide variety of situations. In addition, students will have the option to consider specialised techniques of data analysis relevant to their chosen field of study; for example the use of R for graphing and statistical analysis. Students will undertake an online test to demonstrate their skills, analyse an advanced data set, and report on the contents of a scientific paper to the review development of hypotheses, experimental design, analysis of results, and conclusions drawn.
HEALTH AND SAFETY: The course will cover the duties of employees and employers under relevant Health and Safety and environmental legislation and consider strategies of waste reduction and management. Training will be given in identifying a wide range of biological, chemical and physical hazards and hierarchical strategies of risk control. Students will consider a number of relevant case studies to enhance their ability to carry out suitable and sufficient risk assessments. Work related upper limb disorders, associated with improper use of DSE, will be described and training given in how to carry out DSE assessments. On a practical level, this part of the module will help students to complete the risk assessments and other H&S and ethics requirements for their research projects.
Understand risks associated with the use of a poorly set up DSE workstation and perform an adequate DSE assessment. Be able to identify virtually all of the major hazards associated with scientific experiments and apply a hierarchical approach to risk control. Have a sound working knowledge of relevant H&S and environmental legislation. Thorough knowledge of data handling and analysis techniques with sufficient understanding to apply the most appropriate techniques to a wide range of complex datasets. Thorough consideration of experimental design and logistics when undertaking scientific surveys, resulting in complete fulfilment of the brief. All data analysed using the most appropriate techniques and presented in a concise and easy-to-follow manner with excellent and imaginative discussion of results in relation to other relevant published literature.
Perform an adequate DSE assessment, be able to identify the most obvious hazards associated with scientific experiments and suggest some control measures. Be aware of relevant H&S and environmental legislation. Sound working knowledge of data handling and analysis techniques with the ability to apply the techniques to a range of straightforward situations. Superficial consideration of experimental design and logistics when undertaking scientific surveys, resulting in incomplete fulfilment of the brief. Sound but fairly limited data analysis, presentation and discussion of results.
Understand risks associated with the use of a poorly set up DSE workstation and perform an adequate DSE assessment. Be able to identify most of the major hazards associated with scientific experiments and suggest some control measures. Have a basic knowledge of relevant H&S and environmental legislation. In depth knowledge of data handling and analysis techniques with sufficient understanding to apply appropriate techniques to a wide range of datasets. Careful consideration of experimental design and logistics when undertaking scientific surveys of sampling, resulting in fulfilment of the majority of the brief. All data analysed and presented in a logical and clear manner with adequate discussion of results in relation to other relevant published literature.
Understand the link between hypotheses and appropriate experimental design and statistical approach.
Choose, apply and interpret appropriate techniques for analysing a variety of data sets.
Effectively communicate the results of scientific surveys.
Understand and communicate details about a given statistical test/approach, including the assumptions of the data, examples of scenarios where it may be applicable to use such a test, and comparisons with other similar experimental approaches.
Understand duties under relevant Health and Safety and environmental legislation.
Assess the suitability of DSE workstations.
Prepare suitable and sufficient risk assessments.
Understand a variety of statistical tests and in what circumstances they could be appropriately used.
|GWAITH CWRS||Data analysis and presenting results||50.00|
|PRAWF DOSBARTH||Statistics Test||20.00|
|CYFLWYNIAD GRWP||Experimental design poster & presentation||30.00|
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
6 x 1 hour lectures and case studies sessions
|Practical classes and workshops||
5 x full day statistics workshops
2 x 4 hour Experimental design and data consideration workshops
1 x 8 hour H&S workshops
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Rhifedd - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio rhifau ar lefelau priodol o gywirdeb
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Ymwybyddiaeth o ddiogelwch - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch amgylchedd a hyder o ran cadw at reoliadau iechyd a diogelwch
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Gwaith Tîm - Gallu cydweithio'n adeiladol ag eraill ar dasg gyffredin, ac/neu fod yn rhan o dîm gweithio o ddydd i ddydd
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- Develop and identify research question(s) and/or hypotheses as the basis for investigation.
- Demonstrate awareness of the importance of risk assessment and relevant legislation
Goblygiadau o ran adnoddau ar gyfer myfyrwyr
Field, A. 2009. Discovering Statistics using SPSS, 3rd edition. Sage Publications. Hard copies and ebook available from the library.
Dytham, C. 2011. Choosing and Using Statistics; A Biologist's Guide, 3rd edition. John Wiley and Sons. Hard copies and ebook available from the library.
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- C101: MBiol Master of Biology year 4 (MBIOL/BIO)
- C510: MBiol Biology with Biotechnology year 4 (MBIOL/BIOT)
- 2W79: MMBiol Marine Biology (with International Experience) year 5 (MMBIOL/MBI)
- C167: MSci Marine Biology year 4 (MSCI/MB)
- C171: MSci Marine Biology with International Experience year 5 (MSCI/MBIE)
- F712: MSci Marine Biology and Oceanography year 4 (MSCI/MBO)
- C169: MSci Marine Biology and Zoology year 4 (MSCI/MBZ)
- C168: MSci Marine Vertebrate Zoology year 4 (MSCI/MVZ)
- C302: MZool Zoology with Animal Behaviour year 4 (MZOOL/AB)
- C30P: MZool Zoology with Animal Behaviour with Placement Year year 4 (MZOOL/ABP)
- CD34: MZool Zoology with Conservation year 4 (MZOOL/CONS)
- CD3P: MZool Zoology with Conservation with Placement Year year 5 (MZOOL/CONSP)
- C303: MZool Zoology with Herpetology year 4 (MZOOL/HERP)
- C325: MZool Zoology with Animal Behaviour with International Exp year 5 (MZOOL/ZAIE)
- C321: MZool Zoology with Climate Change year 4 (MZOOL/ZCC)
- CD35: MZool Zoology with Conservation w International Experience year 5 (MZOOL/ZCIE)
- C326: MZool Zoology with Herpetology with International Experience year 5 (MZOOL/ZHIE)
- C353: MZool Zoology with Marine Zoology year 4 (MZOOL/ZMZ)
- C354: MZool Zoology with Marine Zoology with International Exp. year 5 (MZOOL/ZMZI)
- C37P: MZool Zoology with Marine Zoology with Placement Year year 4 (MZOOL/ZMZP)
- C306: MZool Zoology (with International Experience) year 5 (MZOOL/ZOIE)
- C301: MZool Master of Zoology year 4 (MZOOL/ZOO)
- C333: MZool Zoology with Primatology year 4 (MZOOL/ZP)
- C33P: MZool Zoology with Primatology with Placement Year year 5 (MZOOL/ZPP)
- C334: MZool Zoology with Ornithology year 4 (MZOOL/ZR)
- C3P4: MZool Zoology with Ornithology with Placement Year year 5 (MZOOL/ZRP)