Research Design & Planning
Rhedir gan School of Ocean Sciences
60.000 Credyd neu 30.000 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Dr Luis Gimenez Noya
The M.Sc. research project provides students with the necessary resources and time to independently investigate a specific scientific topic (selected by the student with appropriate guidance of the academic staff). It aims to provide experience of planning, undertaking and reporting an independent research project (supervision available as required).
The main body of the project will provide a framework for testing a scientific hypothesis of an experimental, computational or observational nature. Where appropriate to the particular research topic, the project will provide experience in field survey work, laboratory practice, operation of analytical equipment and computer modeling. Students will be responsible for managing their time effectively and will receive the freedom to push their independent research in any feasible direction that resources allow.
The final part of the project will focus on developing the skills required for communicating in science. Specifically, at this stage the project module aims to train students to integrate the results from literature searching, experimental, computational and observational scientific research into a single report detailing their research project
The module will provide students with training and practice in the acquisition of information and data from experimental, observational and computational research and the effective communication of their results. Students will integrate the various stages of their literature, experimental, computational and observational research into a scientific project report. The bulk of the module will be self-study.
50 - 59% average : Provide a structured report at a basic level of presentation. Show a basic understanding of the methodology and its limitations. Draw unambiguous conclusions from analysis of research results and discuss the conclusions at a rudimentary level. Master of Science
60 - 69% average Provide a structured report at a good level of presentation. Show a detailed understanding of the methodology and its limitations. Draw unambiguous conclusions from analysis of research results and discuss the conclusions in context. Master of Science with Merit
Provide a structured report at a high level of presentation. Show a comprehensive understanding of the methodology and its limitations. Draw unambiguous conclusions from analysis of research results and effectively discuss the conclusions with a complete overview of the topic. Master of Science with Distinction overall average >70%
Produce a scientific report combining elements of literature, experimental, computational or observational research undertaken as a research project.
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
Self-directed study with appropriate level of supervision according to the students' needs.
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Rhifedd - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio rhifau ar lefelau priodol o gywirdeb
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Ymwybyddiaeth o ddiogelwch - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch amgylchedd a hyder o ran cadw at reoliadau iechyd a diogelwch
- Rheloaeth - Gallu defnyddio, cydlynu a rheoli adnoddau (dynol, ffisegol ac/neu ariannol)