Geophysical Fluid Dynamics
Rhedir gan School of Ocean Sciences
20.000 Credyd neu 10.000 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Prof Mattias Green
The aim of the module is to introduce the principles of hydrodynamics and their application to the study of surface water waves and tides. The specific objectives are: 1. to introduce the relevant theoretical principles of classical hydrodynamics, turbulent mixing processes and dynamics in a rotating frame; 2. to apply these dynamical principles to study surface water waves, tides, wind-driven flows, and the large scale ocean circulation; 3. to study tidal dynamics including the effects of rotation and friction. 4. to introduce computational approaches involving dynamics.
This course introduces the main principles of classical geophysical fluid dynamics, including surface waves and tides.
The topics covered include:
Equations of motion and continuity, streamfunction, vorticity, rotational and irrotational flow. Linear surface gravity waves in
deep' andshallow' water and their properties
Standing waves. Internal waves.
Governing principles and equations of motion with rotation.
Turbulent mixing, eddy viscosity, diffusivity, Reynolds stress.
Ekman theory of wind-driven flow. Inertial oscillations. Ocean circulation theory.
Basic theory of tidal forces and the equilibrium tidal model.
Effects of rotation and friction on tidal flow.
The advection-diffusion equation. Onset and maintenance of turbulence in terms of Richardson number.
The course is taught through lectures, computer practicals, a laboratory practical and exercises
- good understanding of knowledge (subject-specific theories, concepts and principles) of the processes of wave mechanics, dynamics and tides based on the directly taught programme.
- good ability to define and solve numerical problems using appropriate techniques, and to interpret the results.
- thorough understanding of knowledge (subject-specific theories, concepts and principles) of the processes of wave mechanics, dynamics and tides based on the directly taught programme together with some evidence of further reading.
- thorough ability to define and solve numerical problems using appropriate techniques, and to interpret the results.
- basic understanding of knowledge (subject-specific theories, concepts and principles) of the processes of wave mechanics, dynamics and tides based on the directly taught programme.
- basic ability to define and solve numerical problems using appropriate techniques, and to interpret the results.
display understanding of wave dynamics in theory and practice
display understanding of fundamental tidal dynamics and its consequences for the ocean
Display understanding of the theoretical principles of geophysical fluid dynamcis and turbulence, including large scale ocean circulation processes.
|24 hour Open book Examination||50.00|
|Boundary Layers computer practical||15.00|
|Dynamics and Waves Problem Sheet||35.00|
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
Lectures: 1 hour asyncronus lectures, each in 2-3 parts.
During Private Study students will be expected to undertake wider reading linked to the wave tank practical and computer practical assignments. A recommended book list and web based material will be provided
|Practical classes and workshops||
Computer practical tutorials (2x1 hour synchronous)
6x1 hour synchronous tutorials (one per week)
- Rhifedd - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio rhifau ar lefelau priodol o gywirdeb
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- Conduct fieldwork and/or laboratory work competently with awareness of appropriate risk assessment and ethical considerations
- Recognize and apply appropriate theories and concepts from a range of disciplines.
- Apply subject knowledge to the understanding and addressing of problems.
- Collect, analyse and interpret primary and/or secondary data using appropriate qualitative and/or quantitative techniques.
Lecture notes provided in class; Kundu: Fluid Mechanics; Stewart: An introduction to Physical Oceanography (available online)
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- F7AH: MSc Physical Oceanography year 1 (MSC/PO)
- F734: MSci Physical Oceanography year 4 (MSCI/PO)
- F735: MSci Physical Oceanography with International Experience year 5 (MSCI/POIE)
- F73P: MSci Physical Oceanography with Placement Year year 5 (MSCI/POP)
Opsiynol mewn cyrsiau:
- F7AX: MSc Marine Renewable Energy year 1 (MSC/MRE)