Rhedir gan School of Ocean Sciences
20.000 Credyd neu 10.000 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Dr Dei Huws
This module concerns itself with the physical properties of soils and sediments; in particular within the context of shallow engineering and environmental applications.
The module will start with the basic physical (or index) properties of a soil and explain how soils may be classified. This is followed by an explanation of effective stress, a key concept in soil mechanics. It will be apparent then, how important water is in determining soil behaviour and for that reason, ideas relating to permeability, hydraulic gradients, potential and flow nets will be presented. The flow of water within soils also plays a key role in controlling soil settlement or consolidation, and so this topic is also a part of the syllabus. Finally, concepts relating to shear strength are introduced.
Because measured soil parameters are often highly influenced by the test protocol and procedure, it is very important that an appreciation of test methods is gained. Therefore, a key element in this module is the laboratory testing programme which runs concurrently with the lecture series. Students will be introduced and allowed to perform most of the `British Standard' procedures, including index property, consolidation and strength tests.
In list form, the syllabus can be summarised thus:
Index properties and classification schemes
Pore pressure, total stress and effective stress
Permeability, critical hydraulic gradient, potential, flow net solutions
The practical element will typically include the measurement of:
moisture content, specific gravity, particle size distribution, pore water salinity, density, organic matter content, carbonate content, Atterberg limits, consolidation properties, undrained shear strength
Cyswllt Canlyniad dysgu i Meini Prawf
Partial understanding of basic theoretical principles of sediment geotechnics (within the scope of the curriculum, learning outcomes and skills outlined here) Basic ability to solve numerical problems associated geotechnical investigation Basic ability to acquire, process, interpret and present geotechnical data
Upon successful completion of this module, the student should be aware of and be familiar with the various classification schemes available for describing soils or sediments
Upon successful completion of this module, the student should be able to manipulate geotechnical data in order to interpret laboratory data and solve numerical problems based on field applications.
Upon successful completion of this module, the student should understand how geotechnical properties control the response of soil to load
Upon successful completion of this module, the student should be able to show an appreciation of the role of pore fluid and pore fluid pressure on soil behaviour
Upon successful completion of this module, the student should be able to conduct a range of geotechnical laboratory tests within the framework of British Standards protocols so as to quantify and classify the soil on the basis of the results
|Exercise Sheet - 15 questions||20.00|
|Index Properties of a Marine Sediment Practical Analysis||30.00|
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
Laboratory testing sessions
Ostensibly the time allocated to learn the course material and prepare the assessments.
- Rhifedd - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio rhifau ar lefelau priodol o gywirdeb
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Ymwybyddiaeth o ddiogelwch - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch amgylchedd a hyder o ran cadw at reoliadau iechyd a diogelwch
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Gwaith Tîm - Gallu cydweithio'n adeiladol ag eraill ar dasg gyffredin, ac/neu fod yn rhan o dîm gweithio o ddydd i ddydd