MOcean Research Project
Rhedir gan School of Ocean Sciences
40.000 Credyd neu 20.000 Credyd ECTS
Semester 1 a 2
Trefnydd: Dr Jaco Baas
The module will provide students with training and practice in the acquisition of information and data from experimental, observational and computational research and the effective communication of their results in oral and poster presentations. Where possible, students will be embedded in research teams and will benefit from contact with graduate students and postdoctoral researchers, while under the overall supervision of a staff member. The students will prepare an oral presentation of their literature review (10 minutes) and project plan (5 minutes) at the mid-point of Semester 1. This will require them to concentrate on the organisation and preparation for their project. Further presentational and discussion skills will be acquired via two supervisory committee meetings, where a short, informal presentation is followed by discussion with the supervisory team about progress and future work. Project results are presented in the form of a poster in the 2nd semester. Submission of a scientific report (up to 8,000 words) is in the format of a scientific journal paper.
If the work is of sufficient quality and the opportunity arises, the student may present the work in a scientific conference, but this is not a formal part of the module. It is not compulsory and will only occur with the permission of the supervisor.
The bulk of the module will be self-study and the activities undertaken by the student will vary depending on the type of research project taken to include laboratory, ship-based and/or field work studies.
Be able to keep an excellent record of experimental work. Provide a structured report at a high level of presentation. Show a comprehensive understanding of the methodology and its limitations. Draw unambiguous conclusions from analysis of research results and effectively discuss the conclusions with a complete overview of the topic. Effectively communicate the detail and the importance of the project orally with effective visual aids.
Be able to keep an adequate record of experimental work. Provide a structured report at an adequate level of presentation. Show an adequate understanding of the methodology and its limitations. Draw unambiguous conclusions from analysis of research results and discuss the conclusions at a rudimentary level. Communicate the basics of the project orally using visual aids.
Be able to keep a good record of experimental work. Provide a structured report at a good level of presentation. Show a detailed understanding of the methodology and its limitations. Draw unambiguous conclusions from analysis of research results and discuss the conclusions in context. Communicate the detail of the project orally with effective visual aids.
Plan, organise and complete a series of experiments or data analyses to test specific hypotheses relating to their project commensurate with Masters level work.
Research and critically evaluate relevant literature to be able to plan and execute research project.
Keep accurate and informative records of experimental or analyses data.
Efficiently organise the time spent planning research, acquiring (if appropriate) and analysing data.
Present information about the research using written, oral communication and IT skills according to specific guidelines.
|Lit rev & proj plan presentation||20.00|
|Progress meeting 1||5.00|
|Progress meeting 2||5.00|
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
The balance of taught activities will vary depending on the type of research project taken by a student. For some students, ship-based and field work teaching and supervision may involve more practical supervision time than laboratory based research projects.
The total hours involved in supervising activities 2, 3, and 4 will be variable but would normally amount to ~15 hrs per staff member over a period of 10 weeks (i.e. 2 hrs week-1). The student should expect a minimum of 5 hours of supervisory meetings during that time. Further contact time takes the form of an oral presentation conference day.
Blended learning approach, using combination of synchronous online, asynchronous online and on-campus live delivery.
Supervisor meetings - two formally arranged as progress meetings. On-campus face-to-face meetings, if possible. if not, online meeting. 12 hours is representative only, but 5 hours per semester should be a minimum to be expected. Much more might ensue if staff assist in field or lab work.
This figure includes the day of seminars during the First Semester (lit review and project plan) and the poster session in the Second Semester. Blended learning approach, using combination of synchronous online, asynchronous online and on-campus live delivery.
This will typically include the data acquisition, processing and interpretation, as well as the literature review and project planning phases, preparation for supervisory meetings etc. as well as the other summative assessments.
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Rhifedd - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio rhifau ar lefelau priodol o gywirdeb
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Ymwybyddiaeth o ddiogelwch - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch amgylchedd a hyder o ran cadw at reoliadau iechyd a diogelwch
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- F652: MSci Geological Oceanography year 4 (MSCI/GO)
- F65P: MSci Geological Oceanography with Placement Year year 5 (MSCI/GOP)
- F734: MSci Physical Oceanography year 4 (MSCI/PO)
- F735: MSci Physical Oceanography with International Experience year 5 (MSCI/POIE)
- F73P: MSci Physical Oceanography with Placement Year year 5 (MSCI/POP)