Rhedir gan School of Ocean Sciences
30.000 Credyd neu 15.000 Credyd ECTS
Semester 1 a 2
Trefnydd: Dr Jaco Baas
The International Experience Placement module provides an opportunity for students to extend their understanding of their degree subject area by a period of study or work abroad. The module will also raise students' awareness of cross-cultural and transnational issues as they apply both within and outside their degree subject. It is expected that the module, as part of their degree course, will enhance students’ experience and employment opportunities.
Each student will spend an extended period studying at a Host Institution or working overseas. During the module students will be encouraged to pursue studies or work relevant to the degree subject area. They will also learn about the country in which they are based, with particular emphasis on understanding and applying subject-specific knowledge in a different cultural setting. The content of the module will be designed for each student in discussion with the Host Institution/Organisation and will include elements of directed learning and/or supervision
(Grade B; mark range 60-69%)
The report is logically structured. It contains detailed descriptive text relating to the knowledge acquired by the student. Knowledge directly and indirectly related to the student’s degree subject is described. There is some analysis of the cultural influences on the interpretation and application of subject-specific knowledge but there is little critical evaluation. The report includes substantial content in which the student evaluates their learning experience, mainly as a retrospective description of the placement experience with only some emphasis on how the experiences might shape future learning.
(Grade A; mark range 70-100%)
The report is logically structured with threads that create a holistic, coherent whole. It contains detailed and insightful descriptive text relating to the knowledge acquired by the student. Knowledge directly and indirectly related to the student’s degree subject is described with some exploration of the synergies between the various sources of knowledge. There is a well-argued, critical analysis of the cultural influences on the interpretation and application of subject-specific knowledge. The report includes substantial content in which the student evaluates their learning experience, both as a retrospective description of the placement experience and as a critical reflection on how the experiences might shape future learning.
(Grade D or C; mark range 40-59%)
There are weaknesses in the way that the report is structured, resulting in repetition and/or lack of clarity. It contains descriptive text relating to the knowledge acquired by the student but with evidence that the descriptions have not been fully developed. Knowledge directly related to the student’s degree subject is described but with little emphasis on any other knowledge acquired. There is little analysis of the cultural influences on the interpretation and application of subject-specific knowledge and there is no evidence of critical evaluation. The report includes content in which the student evaluates their learning experience, mainly as a retrospective description of the placement experience with little emphasis on how the experiences might shape future learning.
Have demonstrated that they have acquired knowledge, understanding and skills that will enhance these aspects in relation to their BU programme subject area. It is expected that the level of this enhanced learning and academic ability is appropriate to the timing of their visit.
Demonstrate an ability to reflect on the full range of their experiences and express this in written form in a manner that is concordant with their academic level at the time of their visit.
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
Notional Learning Hours: 1,200 hours. This equates to a minimum placement of 30 weeks (at 40 hrs/week) or two semester terms. The time allocated to the taught elements and private study will vary depending on the arrangements for each placement, as will the format of the taught elements.
The experience of students will differ considerably in terms of their classroom hours, or work placement hours: therefore we see each student plan as an individual project composed either of (1) a formal lectures/practical or (2) practical work associated to a placement. In both cases, the nature of the lectures/practicals/placement will vary among host institutions.
(1) For academic study visits, the measure of effort can therefore only be quantified by credit rating rather than contact time and self-study time etc. SOS assumes that completion of the required credits locally as well as completion of the specific assessment for this module will equate to an average of 40 hours per week.
(2) For work placement activity, the contact time should be aligned to the typical working-week for the country in question. Typically, it is expected that this will be <40 hrs / week. However, time will be required to complete the assessment task.
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Ymwybyddiaeth o ddiogelwch - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch amgylchedd a hyder o ran cadw at reoliadau iechyd a diogelwch
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- Appreciation of the complexity and diversity of life processes through the study of organisms.
- Engage in debate and/or discussion with specialists and non-specialists using appropriate language.
- Demonstrate awareness of the importance of risk assessment and relevant legislation
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- C166: BSc Applied Marine Biology (with International Experience) year 3 (BSC/AMB4IE)
- 8B76: BSc Marine Biology and Zoology (with International Exp) year 3 (BSC/BMZIE)
- 8S54: BSc Geological Oceanography (with International Experience) year 3 (BSC/GEOIE)
- C165: BSc Marine Biology (with International Experience) year 3 (BSC/MBIE)
- 2F11: BSc Marine Vertebrate Zoology (with International Experience year 3 (BSC/MVZIE)
- 2W79: MMBiol Marine Biology (with International Experience) year 3 (MMBIOL/MBI)