Project (Psychology with Clinical and Health Psychology)
Rhedir gan School of Psychology
40.000 Credyd neu 20.000 Credyd ECTS
Semester 1 a 2
Trefnydd: Dr Awel Vaughan-Evans
The aim of this module is to provide students with first-hand experience of conducting psychological research. This will further develop their skills in collating and reviewing literature, experimental design, data collection, data analysis and interpretation. It also gives students the opportunity to develop their planning, organizational and team-working abilities.
Students will engage with all aspects of the research process, including designing experiments, considering ethical issues, testing participants, analysing data, and writing research reports.
Excellent A- to A**
Excellent understanding of ethical issues when conducting research in the field of clinical and health psychology, written in a clear, concise, and accurate manner.
Excellent presentation of comprehensive knowledge about methodology and data analyses. Excellent description and application of relevant research methodologies. Appropriate analyses identified and implemented, and results reported accurately.
Excellent and logical development of critical arguments in the final report, evidence of additional reading, and original interpretation. Excellent discussion and evaluation of relevant research findings, demonstrating a true understanding of the theoretical and practical applications of the field.
Excellent oral presentation skills, demonstrating relatively clear understanding, independent work, and critical thinking. The main points of the research were communicated clearly and effectively, and the ability to answer questions confidently was demonstrated.
Good B- to B+
Good understanding of ethical issues when conducting research in the field of clinical and health psychology, written in a clear, concise, and accurate manner.
Good presentation of knowledge about methodology and data analyses. Good description and application of relevant research methodologies. Appropriate analyses identified and implemented, with very few inaccuracies.
Good and logical development of critical arguments in the final report, evidence of additional reading, and original interpretation. Good discussion and evaluation of relevant research findings, demonstrating a true understanding of the theoretical and practical applications of the field.
Good oral presentation skills, demonstrating relatively clear understanding, independent work, and critical thinking. The main points of the research were communicated clearly and effectively, and the ability to answer questions confidently was demonstrated.
Threshold D- to D+
Poor understanding of ethical issues when conducting research in the field of clinical and health psychology. Many errors and weaknesses in terms of presentation and accuracy.
Little knowledge about methodology and data analyses. Poor description and application of relevant research methodologies. Incorrect analyses identified and implemented, and/or many errors and weaknesses in terms of presentation and accuracy.
Arguments were presented in the final report, but they did not flow, and there was no evidence of original interpretation nor critical thinking. Poor discussion of research findings, demonstrating knowledge of key principles only. No evaluation of the theoretical and practical applications of the field.
Poor oral presentation skills, demonstrating little knowledge of the main elements of the research. Some of the main points of the research were presented, but there were many errors. The ability to answer some questions was demonstrated.
C- i C+
Satisfactory C- to C+
Satisfactory understanding of ethical issues when conducting research in the field of clinical and health psychology, written in a relatively clear manner, but with a few inaccuracies.
Satisfactory presentation of knowledge about methodology and data analyses. Satisfactory description and application of relevant research methodologies. Appropriate analyses identified and implemented, but with a few inaccuracies.
Satisfactory development of critical arguments in the final report, however the arguments presented lacked coherence. Satisfactory discussion and evaluation of relevant research findings, demonstrating some understanding of the theoretical and practical applications of the field.
Satisfactory oral presentation skills, demonstrating an understanding of the main elements of the subject area, but with very little critical thinking. Some of the main points were presented, and the ability to answer questions confidently was demonstrated.
Identify and carry out appropriate data analyses.
Develop confidence in oral presentation of psychological material (POPPS).
Critically evaluate arguments and synthesise research in a particular domain.
Apply and describe relevant research methodologies appropriate to a particular domain.
Discuss and evaluate study findings in the context of research literature.
Demonstrate an understanding of ethical issues in conducting psychological research in written format and by conducting the research in line with the British Psychological Society ethical guidelines for research.
Demonstrate the ability to communicate scientific research in both written and oral formats (POPPS).
Demonstrate the ability to condense, synthesise and present information about own scientific research in an oral format.
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
Psychology Oral Presentation Practice Sessions (POPPS)
In semester 1, students will attend weekly 1-hour POPPS sessions. In these sessions, students will continue to develop their oral presentation skills, to prepare them for the final oral presentation, held in semester 2.
As part of the dissertation project, you should have regular meetings with your supervisor. The amount indicated here should be used as a guideline, however students should have regular consultations with their supervisor once every two weeks (as a minimum).
The module organiser will hold weekly 2-hour drop-in sessions throughout both semesters. Students may attend these drop-in sessions without making an appointment.
Students may ask questions about the module, the research process and/or the module assignments during these sessions, however they may not ask the module organiser to read over or provide feedback on a draft assignment. Students should contact their individual research supervisors for draft feedback.
As this is a 40 credit module, students should spend 400 hours working on the module. Supervisor meetings, module drop-ins and POPPS classes contribute to these hours, however you should use the remaining hours to work on your project.
Students should use this time to*:
*note that this list is not comprehensive
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Rhifedd - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio rhifau ar lefelau priodol o gywirdeb
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Ymwybyddiaeth o ddiogelwch - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch amgylchedd a hyder o ran cadw at reoliadau iechyd a diogelwch
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Gwaith Tîm - Gallu cydweithio'n adeiladol ag eraill ar dasg gyffredin, ac/neu fod yn rhan o dîm gweithio o ddydd i ddydd
- Rheloaeth - Gallu defnyddio, cydlynu a rheoli adnoddau (dynol, ffisegol ac/neu ariannol)
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- Understand the scientific underpinnings of psychology as a discipline.
- Apply multiple perspectives to psychological issues and integrate ideas and findings across the multiple perspectives in psychology.
- Communicate psychological concepts effectively in written form.
- Communicate psychological concepts effectively in oral form.
- Be computer literate for the purpose of processing and disseminating psychological data and information.
- Retrieve and organise information effectively.
- Handle primary source material critically.
- Engage in effective teamwork for the purpose of collaborating on psychological projects.
- Be sensitive and react appropriately to contextual and interpersonal psychological factors.
- Use effectively personal planning and project management skills.
- Work effectively under pressure (time pressure, limited resources, etc) as independent and pragmatic learners.
- Problem-solve by clarifying questions, considering alternative solutions, making critical judgements, and evaluating outcomes.
- Reason scientifically and demonstrate the relationship between theory and evidence.
- Understand and investigate the role of brain function in all human behaviour and experience.
- Carry out empirical studies by operationalizing research questions, generating hypotheses, collecting data using a variety of methods, analysing data using quantitative and/or qualitative methods, and present and evaluate research findings (under appropriate supervision).
- Comprehend and use psychological data effectively, demonstrating a systematic knowledge of the application and limitations of various research paradigms and techniques.
- Use a range of statistical methods with confidence.
- Employ evidence-based reasoning and examine practical, theoretical and ethical issues associated with the use of different methodologies, paradigms and methods of analysis in psychology.
- Use a variety of psychological tools, including specialist software, laboratory equipment and psychometric instruments.
- Be aware of ethical principles and approval procedures.
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- C880: BSC Psych with Cl & Hlth Psych year 3 (BSC/PHS)
- C88B: BSc Psychology w Clin & Health Psy (4yr with Incorp Found) year 3 (BSC/PHS1)
- 8X44: BSc Psychology with Clinical & Health Psychology (Int Exp) year 4 (BSC/PHSIE)
- C88P: BSc Psychology with Clinical & Health Psy with Placement Yr year 4 (BSC/PHSP)
- C808: MSci Psychology with Clinical & Health Psychology year 3 (MSCI/PHS)