Rhedir gan School of Human and Behavioural Sciences
60.000 Credyd neu 30.000 Credyd ECTS
Semester 1 a 2
Trefnydd: Prof Fay Short
This module provides you with an opportunity to conduct an extensive piece of research in the field of counselling and psychotherapy. This research project will be planned during the second semester of the first year of the course, then ethics will be obtained over the summer, before the research is conducted and the report written during the second year of the course. The research will comprise of an empirical experiment, systematic case study, or systematic review. Data will be gathered within small research labs of no more than five students, but the subsequent analysis, interpretation, and report will be completed independently. This module also provides a framework for you to evidence and reflect on your engagement with professional development. This includes evidence of professional practice in a helping profession and reflection on how skills developed on the course can be applied in a future career.
Professional Practice: You will complete 50hrs of professional practice. This could include counselling, mentoring, support work, administrative work, producing resources, organizing a conference, etc. This work must be completed within the context of a helping organization (e.g. mental health support service, counselling service, guidance service, etc). You do not need to be signed off for practice to complete this work, as it will not necessarily involve counselling with vulnerable clients. You also do not need to complete a specific contact for this work, although we do recommend that you confirm the suitability of the practice with your tutor before starting the work. Your tutor will then advise you on whether further contracts or risk assessments are needed. To support your professional practice, you will attend fortnightly Personal and Professional Development (PPD) groups. In addition, you will attend support sessions to train you in mentoring/coaching.
Research: You will complete a research project addressing a therapeutic question. This project may be conducted in your research group, but the final dissertation and presentation will be written independently. Your research will consist of an experimental study, systematic review, or systematic case study. To support your research, there will be fortnightly research workshops.
50%> - Engagement with work-based learning demonstrating competency, professionalism, team-work, and initiative - Basic empirical research into counselling and psychotherapy practice - Safe reflective practice identifying skills - Some knowledge of Research and Practice in Counselling and Psychotherapy - Understanding of the main concepts, but with factual errors in non-core concepts - Limited analysis showing only obvious points of evaluation and links between ideas - Highly limited originality in approach, interpretation, and/or voice - Highly limited evidence of independent research - Arguments presented but lack coherence with evidence for only some claims - Focused but with some irrelevant material and weaknesses in structure - Acceptable presentation with appropriate expression - Attempt at correct format in appropriate referencing style
70%> - Engagement with work-based learning demonstrating competency, professionalism, team-work, and initiative - Insightful empirical research into counselling and psychotherapy practice - Safe reflective practice to enhance and develop skills - Comprehensive knowledge of Research and Practice in Counselling and Psychotherapy - Detailed understanding with no factual errors - Critical analysis showing evaluation and synthesis of ideas - Originality in approach, interpretation, and/or voice - Extensive independent research - Logically defended arguments with evidence for all claims - Highly focused and well structured - Excellent presentation with accurate and appropriate expression - Correct format in appropriate referencing style
60%> - Engagement with work-based learning demonstrating competency, profesionalism, team-work, and initiative - Considered empirical research into counselling and psychotherapy practice - Safe reflective practice to develop skills - Strong knowledge of Research and Practice in Counselling and Psychotherapy - Clear understanding and mostly free of factual errors - Some analysis showing critical evaluation and links between ideas - Some originality in approach, interpretation, and/or voice - Some independent research - Coherent arguments with evidence for most claims - Focused and well structured - Good presentation with accurate and appropriate expression - Mostly correct format in appropriate referencing style
Disseminate the findings of a substantial empirical research project, systematic review, or systematic case study to provide a general audience with applied knowledge.
Critically self-reflect to understand the applications of own skills in professional practice within a helping profession.
Hold a systematic understanding and critical awareness of current research in counselling/psychotherapy to critically discuss and analyse complex concepts independently and with originality.
Successfully conduct and report a substantial empirical research project, systematic review, or systematic case study using appropriate methodology and informed by wide current understandings in the discipline.
Demonstrate competency, professionalism, team-work, and initiative through professional practice in a helping profession.
Evidence of competent work as a professional in a helping profession by mapping experience to the learning outcomes of the programme, including • List of all learning outcomes for the programme (no word count) • Explanation of how each learning outcome has been met through work on any modules or during your professional practice hours (1000wds in total)
|LLYFR LOG NEU BORTFFOLIO||Practice Evidence||
Evidence of 50hrs of paid or unpaid professional practice in a helping profession, with possible inclusion of… • Face-to-face adult Counselling • Counselling Supervision • Personal Therapy • Mentoring • Conference Organisation • Administrative or Marketing work at a Helping Organisation • Projects at a Helping Organisation • Support Work • Helpline Work Evidence can include any of the above, or may be comprised of alternative information demonstrating engagement with professional practice in a helping profession. Evidence must demonstrate 50hrs of work to pass this assessment.
Reflective journal of 2000wds focusing on professional development during the course and explaining how skills gained will be used in future career plans.
Research report of 15,000wds using an experimental study, systematic review, or systematic case study to address a therapeutic research question.
|CYFLWYNIAD UNIGOL||Research Presentation||
Oral presentation of research findings lasting 20mins at the end of year student conference.
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
|Practical classes and workshops||
Professional Practice: You will independently liaise with your chosen organisations to obtain and complete the required hours. You will also receive training in coaching and mentoring to help you mentor a first-year student beginning their placement as part of your work-based learning. To support these activities through your second year, you will attend regular personal and professional development groups to reflect on your progress.
|Practical classes and workshops||
Research: You will attend workshops in which you will learn how to produce a research report and presentation. You will meet regularly with your small research lab in which you will collaborate to conduct your research and begin analyzing your results. You will also participate in a research conference at the end of the module.
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Rhifedd - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio rhifau ar lefelau priodol o gywirdeb
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Ymwybyddiaeth o ddiogelwch - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch amgylchedd a hyder o ran cadw at reoliadau iechyd a diogelwch
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Gwaith Tîm - Gallu cydweithio'n adeiladol ag eraill ar dasg gyffredin, ac/neu fod yn rhan o dîm gweithio o ddydd i ddydd
- Mentora - Gallu cefnogi, helpu, arwain, ysbrydoli ac/neu hyfforddi eraill
- Gofalu - Dangos consyrn am eraill; gofalu am blant, pobl ag anableddau ac/neu'r henoed
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
- Arweinyddiaeth - Gallu arwain a rheoli, datblygu cynlluniau gweithredu ac amcanion, cynnig arweiniad a chyfarwyddyd i eraill, ac ymdopi â'r pwysau sy'n gysylltiedig ag awdurdod o'r fath
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- Understand the scientific underpinnings of psychology as a discipline.
- Apply multiple perspectives to psychological issues and integrate ideas and findings across the multiple perspectives in psychology.
- Communicate psychological concepts effectively in written form.
- Communicate psychological concepts effectively in oral form.
- Be computer literate for the purpose of processing and disseminating psychological data and information.
- Retrieve and organise information effectively.
- Handle primary source material critically.
- Engage in effective teamwork for the purpose of collaborating on psychological projects.
- Be sensitive and react appropriately to contextual and interpersonal psychological factors.
- Use effectively personal planning and project management skills.
- Work effectively under pressure (time pressure, limited resources, etc) as independent and pragmatic learners.
- Problem-solve by clarifying questions, considering alternative solutions, making critical judgements, and evaluating outcomes.
- Reason scientifically and demonstrate the relationship between theory and evidence.
- Understand and investigate the role of brain function in all human behaviour and experience.
- Carry out empirical studies by operationalizing research questions, generating hypotheses, collecting data using a variety of methods, analysing data using quantitative and/or qualitative methods, and present and evaluate research findings (under appropriate supervision).
- Comprehend and use psychological data effectively, demonstrating a systematic knowledge of the application and limitations of various research paradigms and techniques.
- Use a range of statistical methods with confidence.
- Employ evidence-based reasoning and examine practical, theoretical and ethical issues associated with the use of different methodologies, paradigms and methods of analysis in psychology.
- Use a variety of psychological tools, including specialist software, laboratory equipment and psychometric instruments.
- Be aware of ethical principles and approval procedures.
- American Psychological Association. (2009). Publication manual of the American Psychological Association. Washington, D.C.: American Psychological Association.
- Bager-Charleson, S. (2010). Reflective practice in counselling and psychotherapy. London, UK: Sage.
- McLeod, J. (2015). Doing research in counselling and psychotherapy. Sage: London, UK.
- Short, F. E., & Thomas, P. (2014). Core approaches in counselling and psychotherapy. Routledge: UK.
- Vossler, A., & Moller, N. (2015). The counselling and psychotherapy research handbook. Sage: London, UK.
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- C8DX: MSc Counselling year 2 (MSC/CNSL)