Rhedir gan School of Psychology
40.000 Credyd neu 20.000 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Dr Awel Vaughan-Evans
The aim of this module is to provide students with first-hand experience of conducting psychological research. This will further develop their skills in collating and reviewing literature, experimental design, data collection, data analysis and interpretation. It also gives students the opportunity to develop their planning, organizational and team-working abilities.
Students will be engage with all aspects of the research process, including designing experiments, considering ethical issues, testing participants, analysing data, and writing research reports.
• Knowledge of key research areas/principles only • Weaknesses in understanding of the research area • Limited evidence of background study into topic • Research report only poorly focussed on question and with some irrelevant material and poor structure • Arguments presented but lack coherence • Several factual/computational errors • No original interpretation • Only major links between topics are described • Limited problem solving • Many weaknesses in presentation and accuracy
• Strong knowledge of the research area • Understands most but not all of the research area • Evidence of background study into topic • Focussed research report with good structure • Arguments presented coherently • Mostly free of factual/computational errors • Some limited original interpretation • Well known links between topics described • Problems addressed by existing methods/approaches • Good presentation with accurate communication
• Comprehensive knowledge of research area
• Detailed understanding of research area
• Extensive background study into topic
• Highly focussed and well structured research report
• Logically presented and defended arguments • No factual/computational errors • Original interpretation • New links between topics are developed • New approach to the research problem • Excellent presentation with very accurate communication
Critically evaluate arguments and synthesise research in a particular domain.
Identify and carry out appropriate data analyses.
Discuss and evaluate study findings in the context of research literature.
Demonstrate an understanding of ethical issues in conducting psychological research in written format and by conducting the research in line with the British Psychological Society ethical guidelines for research.
Apply and describe relevant research methodologies appropriate to a particular domain.
Develop confidence in oral presentation of psychological material (POPPS).
Demonstrate the ability to communicate scientific research in both written and oral formats (POPPS).
Demonstrate the ability to condense, synthesise and present information about own scientific research in an oral format.
The oral component of your Project grade is split into POPPS and the final oral presentation. Each is worth 5% of the total grade, but POPPS is marked as a 50% exemption of the Oral grade.
The dissertation presentations will take place on the 26th and 27th May 2020. You will receive more information about the schedule closer to the time.
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Rhifedd - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio rhifau ar lefelau priodol o gywirdeb
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Ymwybyddiaeth o ddiogelwch - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch amgylchedd a hyder o ran cadw at reoliadau iechyd a diogelwch
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Gwaith Tîm - Gallu cydweithio'n adeiladol ag eraill ar dasg gyffredin, ac/neu fod yn rhan o dîm gweithio o ddydd i ddydd
- Rheloaeth - Gallu defnyddio, cydlynu a rheoli adnoddau (dynol, ffisegol ac/neu ariannol)
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- Understand the scientific underpinnings of psychology as a discipline.
- Apply multiple perspectives to psychological issues and integrate ideas and findings across the multiple perspectives in psychology.
- Communicate psychological concepts effectively in written form.
- Communicate psychological concepts effectively in oral form.
- Be computer literate for the purpose of processing and disseminating psychological data and information.
- Retrieve and organise information effectively.
- Handle primary source material critically.
- Engage in effective teamwork for the purpose of collaborating on psychological projects.
- Be sensitive and react appropriately to contextual and interpersonal psychological factors.
- Use effectively personal planning and project management skills.
- Work effectively under pressure (time pressure, limited resources, etc) as independent and pragmatic learners.
- Problem-solve by clarifying questions, considering alternative solutions, making critical judgements, and evaluating outcomes.
- Reason scientifically and demonstrate the relationship between theory and evidence.
- Understand and investigate the role of brain function in all human behaviour and experience.
- Carry out empirical studies by operationalizing research questions, generating hypotheses, collecting data using a variety of methods, analysing data using quantitative and/or qualitative methods, and present and evaluate research findings (under appropriate supervision).
- Comprehend and use psychological data effectively, demonstrating a systematic knowledge of the application and limitations of various research paradigms and techniques.
- Use a range of statistical methods with confidence.
- Employ evidence-based reasoning and examine practical, theoretical and ethical issues associated with the use of different methodologies, paradigms and methods of analysis in psychology.
- Use a variety of psychological tools, including specialist software, laboratory equipment and psychometric instruments.
- Be aware of ethical principles and approval procedures.
Rhestrau Darllen Bangor (Talis)http://readinglists.bangor.ac.uk/modules/ppp-3001.html
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- 6S26: BSc Neuropsychology year 3 (BSC/NI)
- C804: BSc Psychology (with International Experience) year 4 (BSC/PIE)
- C800: BSC Psychology year 3 (BSC/PS)
- C81B: BSc Psychology (4 year with Incorporated Foundation) year 3 (BSC/PS1)
- 2R87: BSc Psychology with Business year 3 (BSC/PWB)
- C82B: BSc Psychology with Business (4yr with Incorp Foundation) year 3 (BSC/PWB1)
- 2R88: BSc Psychology with Business with International Experience year 4 (BSC/PWBIE)
- C807: MSci Psychology year 3 (MSCI/PS)