L2 speech learning
Second Language Speech Learning 2023-24
School Of Arts, Culture And Language
Module - Semester 2
Topics will include:
- Major concepts in the field
- The role of the first language
- Current L2 speech learning models
- Foreign accent and the factors involved in learning
- Segmental and suprasegmental production and perception
- Implications for foreign language teaching.
-threshold -C (50%): The answer must address the question. The answer must show a basic knowledge and understanding of the relevant key areas and principles of the foundational theories, constructs and methodologies of Linguistics. The student must show evidence of being able to apply the principles to the analysis of language and linguistic examples and/or data. The answer must show evidence of some background study.
-good -B: The answer must be focussed and structured. The answer must show a better-than-average standard of knowledge and understanding of the foundational theories, constructs and methodologies of Linguistics. The linguistic examples used in the answer may be based upon examples from the literature but must also include original examples. The answer must show evidence of background study with at least some from primary sources.
-excellent -A: The answer must be highly focused and well-structured. The answer must show comprehensive knowledge and detailed understanding. The answer must show some original interpretation, new links between topics and/or a new approach to a problem. The answer must show evidence of extensive background study using primary sources.
- Students will be able to collect and critically analyse data and select an appropriate methodology for investigating specific L2 speech learning phenomena.
- Students will be able to critically compare and evaluate the current theories and methodologies in L2 speech learning in light of existing evidence.
- Students will be able to discuss the range of variables known to contribute to the degree of perception of foreign accentedness.
- Students will demonstrate an understanding of the main issues, concerns and controversies employed in this field of study.
Poster based Presentation
Research Report (3500 words)