Procurement Relationships & Ethics
Rhedir gan School of History, Law and Social Sciences
15.000 Credyd neu 7.500 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Mr Ceri Evans
The aim of this module is to provide participants with the understanding and requisite competencies to develop, manage and maintain appropriate and successful supplier relationships for efficient and effective procurement outcomes. In the pursuit of this theme, the module will explore a range of relationship models and analytical tools involving the procuring organisation and the supply network. Participants will also study supplier appraisal techniques, and in particular, the lively subject of supplier development. Participants will gain a deep understanding of how an organisation's procurement unit interfaces functionally (and dysfunctionally) with internal stakeholders and will examine the methods to overcome challenges faced. The impact of different organisational and international cultures on procurement relationships will be considered. Ethical issues and conflicts of interest related to procurement is also a major feature of the module. The module will be of significant benefit to all studying on the LLM including those working in the public or private sectors, supplying organisations, and legal advisers with an interest in good procurement.
- The scope of procurement relationships with suppliers.
- Different types of buyer-supplier relationships and factors affecting relationship strategy.
- Analytical tools & relationship strategy.
- Outsourcing and how such relationships can be most effectively managed.
- Supplier Appraisal and Supplier Development.
- Relationships with internal stakeholders.
- The impact of culture on procurement relationships.
- Ethical issues and conflicts of interest in procurement relationships.
(50-59% / C- to C+) Displays ability within a specialized area of knowledge and skills, employing appropriate skills to conduct research. Work at threshold quality demonstrates an adequate knowledge and understanding of current issues in this field of study. It shows a critical awareness of current problems, some of which is informed by thinking at the forefront of the academic discipline. Work at this level shows a developing understanding of techniques applicable to the student’s own research. It shows an ability of apply knowledge in an original way, and to use established techniques of research and enquiry to interpret knowledge in the discipline. The conceptual understanding evidenced by the work indicates that the student can evaluate scholarship in the field.
(60-69% / B- to B+) Displays accomplished ability within a specialized area of knowledge and skills, employing good quality skills to conduct research. Good work in this module will demonstrate a systematic knowledge and understanding of current issues in this field of study. It shows a critical awareness of current problems, much of which is at, or informed by thinking at, the forefront of the academic discipline. Work at this level shows a comprehensive understanding of techniques applicable to the student’s own research. It shows an ability to apply knowledge in an original way, and to use established techniques of research and enquiry to create and interpret knowledge in the discipline. The conceptual understanding evidenced in the work indicates that the student can evaluate advanced scholarship in the discipline. The work shows an ability to evaluate methodologies and develop critiques of them, and, where appropriate, propose hypotheses
(70% + / A- to A*) Displays mastery of a complex and specialized area of knowledge and skills, employing advanced skills to conduct research. Excellent work in this module will contain the qualities recognized in good work, but will show them in a more consistent way, and at all points. It will demonstrate a systematic knowledge and understanding of current issues in this field of study. It shows a critical awareness of current problems, much of which is at the forefront of this academic discipline. Work at this level shows a comprehensive understanding of techniques applicable to the student’s own research or to advanced scholarship. It shows throughout an ability to apply knowledge in an original way, and to use established techniques of research and enquiry to create and interpret knowledge in the discipline. The conceptual understanding evidenced in the work indicates that the student can critically evaluate advanced scholarship in the discipline, and do so in a consistent manner. The work shows an ability to evaluate methodologies and develop critiques of them, and, where appropriate, propose hypotheses.
Critically evaluate the key factors that would affect relationship strategy in a variety of purchasing situations and propose appropriate solutions.
Critically appraise the value of various analytical tools in helping to determine procurement relationship strategy.
Critique various procurement relationship strategies in terms of benefits, costs, risks and challenges.
Critically discuss how a procurement unit interfaces with internal stakeholders and the dysfunctionality challenges that can arise.
Critically evaluate how culture can impact on procurement relationships.
Critically assess the ethical issues surrounding procurement and evaluate techniques for avoiding unethical behaviour.
Critically analyse the subject of Supplier Appraisal and Supplier Development and its interface with public and private sector procurement.
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
Participants will be provided with additional materials for private study and will also have access to the Bangor University on-line library catalogues.
Teaching will be in the form of a dynamic combination of pre-recorded lectures available on Blackboard and on-line live lectures facilitated by the lecturer and driven by class discussions and case study analysis at designated times. Students unable to participate at the time of on-live delivery would be able to download the recordings. Approximately 50% of the sessions will be pre-recorded with the remainder to be on-line live lectures.
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
P. Johnson and A. Flynn. Purchasing and Supply Management, 15th edition, (McGraw-Hill, 2015).
Further reading will be suggested at the end of each lecture according to current literature and participants will have access to the Bangor University online library databases.
Rhagofynion a Chydofynion
Rhagofynnol ar gyfer:
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Opsiynol mewn cyrsiau:
- M1AY: LLM Procurement Law, Strategy & Practice (Distance Learning) year 1 (LLM/PLSP)