Mental health and education
Mental health and education 2022-23
School Of Educational Sciences
Module - Semester 1 & 2
Huw Clwyd Phillips
• Explore a range of mental health issues: • Stress • Depression • Anxiety • Bipolar Disorder • Phobias • Eating disorders • Substance abuse • The effects on the individual within an educational context • Ways of identifying mental health issues • Risk factors • Ethical issues • Current provision in Wales / UK • Communicating • Inclusion • Stress management • Support
-threshold -Threshold - at this level students show evidence of planning which leads to a satisfactory assignment structure, satisfactory understanding of theories and analysis, and appropriate use of research. Arguments are supported by appropriate evidence.Assignment mark range - 50% - 59%
-good -Good - at this level students show good insight, offer sustained and relevant analysis. Assignments are well researched and referenced, written with a clear structure and style.Assignment mark range - 60% - 69%
-excellent -Excellent - at this level students demonstrate excellence in power of analysis, argument and originality. Students also demonstrate excellent organisation, use a wide range of research and stylistic quality.Assignment mark range - 70%+
- Compare the prevalence of current mental health issues within a chosen field of education whilst demonstrating a critical awareness of a range of mental health issues within chosen educational context.
- Critically evaluate current educational provision and practice for learners or staff members with mental health needs within chosen educational context.
- Demonstrate a critical understanding of the current underlying principles, attitudes, values and practices relevant to the effectiveness of including of students or staff members with mental health needs within education.
- Implement an educational strategy for promoting mental wellbeing and mental health with students or staff within a chosen educational context whilst critically evaluating its potential and analysing potential ethical and safeguarding issues within the strategy.
- Critically analyse wider ethical and safeguarding issues when working alongside staff or students with mental health issues within an educational context.
A support strategy for an individual with mental health needs.
Mental health issues within an educational context