Equity and Diversity
Rhedir gan School of Educational Sciences
20.000 Credyd neu 10.000 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Dr Nia Young
This module aims to develop students’ understanding of equity, diversity and the impact of inequalities on educational outcomes and experiences. It will provide opportunities for students to develop an advanced evidence-informed understanding of the dimensions of diversity within contemporary Welsh society and across international contexts and settings. The module will require students to think critically about the forms of inequality within contemporary education and to engage in contested debates about how education systems identify inequalities and employ evidence-informed strategies for addressing inequalities. The module will allow students to reflect critically on debates about the role played by the education system in addressing inequalities and inequities.
This module aims:
- To develop students’ understanding of equity, diversity and the impact of inequalities on educational outcomes and experiences.
- To develop a critical understanding of the mechanisms underpinning inequality, stereotyping, prejudice and discrimination.
- To enhance understanding of how to identify inequality, prejudice and discrimination in educational settings and to consider strategies to reduce or mitigate them.
- To consider the international evidence base concerning inequality and inequity in education.
Explore and analyse the contested definitions of inequality, inequity and diversity.
Analyse theories of prejudice and discrimination and examine the application of these theories to educational settings.
Critically examine how social inequality is (re)produced in society and the role that education plays in that re-production.
Critically explore the challenges of, and potential solutions to, prejudice and discrimination in a variety of educational settings.
|Essay on tackling inequality||100.00|
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
Rhestrau Darllen Bangor (Talis)http://readinglists.bangor.ac.uk/modules/xme-4307.html
- Banks, J. A. & Banks, C. A. M. (Eds.). (2019). Multicultural education: Issues and perspectives. Tenth Edition. Indianapolis: John Wiley & Sons.
- Schuelka, M. J., Johnstone, C. J., Thomas, G., & Artiles, A. J. (Eds.). (2019). The SAGE Handbook of Inclusion and Diversity in Education. London: SAGE Publications Limited.
- Baker, Colin (2014). A parents' and teachers' guide to bilingualism. Bristol: Multilingual Matters.
- Cole, M. (ed.) (2017). Education, Equality and Human Rights. Fourth Edition. London: Routledge.
- Conteh, J. (2019). The EAL Teaching Book: Promoting Success for Multilingual Learners. Third Edition. London: Learning Matters.