Tiwt Acad.&Sgiliau Allweddol
Run by School of Natural Sciences
10.000 Credits or 5.000 ECTS Credits
Organiser: Dr Sopan Patil
Overall aims and purpose
Cynlluniwyd y modiwl i gyflwyno'r ystod sgiliau sydd eu hangen i gael gradd yn ADNODD ac er mwyn annog mwy o ddarllen ym maes pwnc y radd. Mae'r modiwl hefyd yn cyflwyno canfyddiadau a llenyddiaeth pwnc-benodol allweddol.
REQUIRES TRANSLATION During the welcome week (i.e. week 0 of the first year), students and their allocated tutor will meet and timetable 5 tutorial sessions to be spread throughout semester 1. In addition there will be a series of research talks given by academic staff in semester 1. In semester 2 there will be introductory GIS and information literacy sessions. During the first tutorial, tutors will discuss with their students the nature of the course, and the learning outcomes that are to be achieved. The tutor will lead a discussion on a topic for study, and the students will receive a list of suggested reading and a description of the task to be completed (i.e. essay or presentation). In subsequent tutorials, students will receive formative feedback on presented work, and the tutor will introduce the following topics and tasks. Topics covered will be chosen by the course director to be relevant and informative to the particular degree stream each student is following, thus the actual course content will vary between individuals. However, in order to ensure consistency across the school, the following overarching themes will be covered: the importance of factual accuracy when conveying information to the public and others, the role of a sound evidence base in policy making, the importance of interdisciplinary thinking.
Dangos dealltwriaeth sylfaenol o brif agweddau'r deunydd pwnc ar lafar neu'n ysgrifenedig. Gallu ysgrifennu crynodeb o erthygl wyddonol gan ddangos dealltwriaeth sylfaenol o'r deunydd gwreiddiol.
Dangos dealltwriaeth dda o brif agweddau'r deunydd pwnc ar lafar ac yn ysgrifenedig. Trosglwyddo syniadau'n effeithiol heb hepgor unrhyw elfennau pwysig a heb wyro oddi wrth y pwynt. Gallu ysgrifennu crynodeb o erthygl wyddonol gan ddangos dealltwriaeth dda o'r deunydd gwreiddiol.
Dangos dealltwriaeth lawn o brif agweddau'r deunydd pwnc ar lafar ac yn ysgrifenedig. Trosglwyddo syniadau'n effeithiol iawn mewn modd cryno ond trylwyr. Gallu ysgrifennu crynodeb o erthygl wyddonol gan ddangos dealltwriaeth lawn o'r deunydd gwreiddiol.
Ysgrifennu traethodau gwyddonol rhesymegol a threfnus gan ddefnyddio a chrynhoi gwybodaeth addas o weithiau gwyddonol.
Rhoi cyflwyniadau llafar byr gan ddefnyddio cyfarpar gweledol addas a glynu wrth yr amser a roddir ar gyfer y cyflwyniad.
Defnyddio adnoddau'r llyfrgell i chwilio am lenyddiaeth.
Crynhoi erthyglau gwyddonol neu erthyglau o gyfnodolion.
Cymryd rhan weithredol mewn trafodaethau yn ystod seminarau pwnc-benodol.
Teaching and Learning Strategy
Tiwtorialau, 1 awr, 5 fesul semester.
Sgyrsiau ymchwil academaidd, 1 awr 5 hours information literacy
|Practical classes and workshops||
5 hours of computer practicals
- Literacy - Proficiency in reading and writing through a variety of media
- Numeracy - Proficiency in using numbers at appropriate levels of accuracy
- Computer Literacy - Proficiency in using a varied range of computer software
- Self-Management - Able to work unsupervised in an efficient, punctual and structured manner. To examine the outcomes of tasks and events, and judge levels of quality and importance
- Exploring - Able to investigate, research and consider alternatives
- Information retrieval - Able to access different and multiple sources of information
- Inter-personal - Able to question, actively listen, examine given answers and interact sensitevely with others
- Critical analysis & Problem Solving - Able to deconstruct and analyse problems or complex situations. To find solutions to problems through analyses and exploration of all possibilities using appropriate methods, rescources and creativity.
- Safety-Consciousness - Having an awareness of your immediate environment, and confidence in adhering to health and safety regulations
- Presentation - Able to clearly present information and explanations to an audience. Through the written or oral mode of communication accurately and concisely.
- Caring - Showing concern for others; caring for children, people with disabilities and/or the elderly
- Management - Able to utilise, coordinate and control resources (human, physical and/or financial)
- Argument - Able to put forward, debate and justify an opinion or a course of action, with an individual or in a wider group setting
- Self-awareness & Reflectivity - Having an awareness of your own strengths, weaknesses, aims and objectives. Able to regularly review, evaluate and reflect upon the performance of yourself and others
Subject specific skills
- Recognize and apply appropriate theories and concepts from a range of disciplines.
- Consider issues from a range of interdisciplinary perspectives.
- Apply subject knowledge to the understanding and addressing of problems.
- Awareness of the concepts of spatial and temporal scale in understanding processes and relationships.
- Appreciation of the reciprocal nature of human-environmental relationships.
- Preparation of effective maps, diagrams and visualizations.
- Engagement with current developments in the biosciences and their application.
- Appreciation of the complexity and diversity of life processes through the study of organisms.
- Engage in debate and/or discussion with specialists and non-specialists using appropriate language.
- Understand the provisional nature of information and appreciate competing and alternative explanations.
- Recognize the moral, ethical and social issues relating to the subject.
Courses including this module
Compulsory in courses:
- L700: BA Geography year 1 (BA/GEOG)
- L702: BA Geography (4 yr with placement) year 1 (BA/GEOG4)
- L701: BA Geography (with International Experience) year 1 (BA/GEOGIE)
- C183: BSC Appl.Terrestrial & Marine Ec 4 year 1 (BSC/APTME)
- C185: BSc Applied Terrestrial & Marine Ecology with Intl Exp (5yr) year 1 (BSC/APTMIE)
- C180: BSc Appl. Terrestrial &Marine Ec year 1 (BSC/ATME)
- C184: BSc App Terrestrial & Marine Ecology with Intl Experience year 1 (BSC/ATMEIE)
- C13P: BSc Applied Terrestrial and Marine Ecology with Placement Yr year 1 (BSC/ATMEP)
- D503: BSc Conservation with Forestry with International Experience year 1 (BSC/CFIE)
- 5DKD: BSc Conservation with Forestry year 1 (BSC/CWF)
- 5DLD: BSc Conservation with Forestry (four year) year 1 (BSC/CWF4)
- D447: BSC Environmental Conservation year 1 (BSC/ECON)
- D448: BSC Environmental Conservation year 1 (BSC/ECON4)
- D451: BSc Environmental Conservation (International Experience) year 1 (BSC/ENIE)
- F900: BSC Environmental Science year 1 (BSC/ES)
- F901: BSc Environmental Science (4 yr with placement) year 1 (BSC/ES4)
- F90F: BSc Environmental Science year 1 (BSC/ESF)
- 8U71: BSc Environmental Science (with International Experience) year 1 (BSC/ESIE)
- D501: BSc Forestry (with sandwich placement) year 1 (BSC/F)
- D502: BSc Forestry with International Experience year 1 (BSC/FIE)
- D500: BSC Forestry year 1 (BSC/FOR)
- D50P: BSc Forestry with Placement Year year 1 (BSC/FP)
- F803: BSc Geography with Environmental Forestry year 1 (BSC/GEF)
- F804: BSc Geography with Environmental Forestry year 1 (BSC/GEF4)
- F807: BSc Geography with Environmental Forestry with Intl Exp year 1 (BSC/GEFIE)
- F800: BSC Geography year 1 (BSC/GEOG)
- F806: BSc Geography (4 yr with placement) year 1 (BSC/GEOG4)
- F802: BSc Geography (with International Experience) year 1 (BSC/GEOGIE)
- F850: Master of Environmental Science year 1 (M/ENVSCI)
- F851: MEnvSci Environmental Science with International Experience year 1 (MENVSC/ESIE)