Run by School of Arts, Culture and Language
40.000 Credits or 20.000 ECTS Credits
Semester 1 & 2
Organiser: Prof Carol Tully
Overall aims and purpose
- To consolidate and expand on students' knowledge of German grammar and vocabulary.
- To develop translation skills into and out of the target language, and skills in manipulation of written German.
- To develop oral and aural skills.
- To familiarise students with lexis relevant to their forthcoming residence abroad, and other sociocultural contexts.
Students on this module will be working towards achieving B2 on the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR). with Post-Beginner students working towards achieving B1 on the Common European Framework. Post-Beginner students receive on extra contact hour per week in semester 1.
This module deepens students' command of the written language through translation, text and essay work. Emphasis will be placed on a secure grasp of structures and sensitivity to register. Oral proficiency will be fostered through discussions of contemporary issues in the German-speaking world with students' presentations on various topics. In order to prepare students for their year abroad, key topics will be covered including aspects of business German, the press and media, university life in Germany and Austria, and general 'Landeskunde'. Students will also be required to read and review two short novels in order to expand their vocabulary and improve their grasp of grammatical structures.
50-69%: A good knowledge of vocabulary and grammar and a good ability to translate and manipulate a variety of textual material. Good oral and aural competence.
70+%: An excellent knowledge of vocabulary and grammar and an excellent ability to translate and otherwise manipulate texts, with a firm understanding of register. Excellent oral and aural competence.
40-49%: A limited knowledge of vocabulary and grammar and a limited ability to translate and paraphrase the prescribed range of texts. Basic oral and aural competence.
Demonstrate an increased proficiency in translation, essay-writing, text and aural comprehension and oral skills.
Demonstrate greater grammatical accuracy, more advanced vocabulary and an appreciation of register and nuance.
Display greater confidence in the presentation of oral reports (Referat) and general discussion.
|Self-Study Portfolio (Semester 2)||0.00|
|Self-Study Portfolio (Semester 1)||0.00|
|Translation (English to German)||20.00|
|Listening Comprehension Test||15.00|
|Oral Examination (Semester 2)||20.00|
|Written Exam (2 hours)||30.00|
Teaching and Learning Strategy
1 hour x grammar per week for 11 weeks per semester 1 hour x writing skills per week for 11 weeks per semester 1 hour x conversation skills per week for 11 weeks per semester
- Literacy - Proficiency in reading and writing through a variety of media
- Self-Management - Able to work unsupervised in an efficient, punctual and structured manner. To examine the outcomes of tasks and events, and judge levels of quality and importance
- Exploring - Able to investigate, research and consider alternatives
- Information retrieval - Able to access different and multiple sources of information
- Inter-personal - Able to question, actively listen, examine given answers and interact sensitevely with others
- Critical analysis & Problem Solving - Able to deconstruct and analyse problems or complex situations. To find solutions to problems through analyses and exploration of all possibilities using appropriate methods, rescources and creativity.
- Presentation - Able to clearly present information and explanations to an audience. Through the written or oral mode of communication accurately and concisely.
- Teamwork - Able to constructively cooperate with others on a common task, and/or be part of a day-to-day working team
- Argument - Able to put forward, debate and justify an opinion or a course of action, with an individual or in a wider group setting
- Self-awareness & Reflectivity - Having an awareness of your own strengths, weaknesses, aims and objectives. Able to regularly review, evaluate and reflect upon the performance of yourself and others
Talis Reading listhttp://readinglists.bangor.ac.uk/modules/lzg-2040.html
Pre- and Co-requisite Modules
- LZG-2015: Year Abroad Alternative
- LZG-3040: Gegenwartssprache II (3 Major)
- LXE-3101: Approaching Translation
- LXE-3210: Press Dossier (10)
- LZG-3020: Gegenwartssprache II (Minor)
- LXE-3200: Press Dossier (20)
- LZG-3030: Gegenwartssprache II
Courses including this module
Compulsory in courses:
- N2R2: BA Business Management and German year 2 (BA/BMG)
- N1R2: BA Business Studies with German year 2 (BA/BSGER)
- NR1F: BA Business Studies and German year 2 (BA/BUSSG)
- T111: BA Chinese and French with German year 2 (BA/CHFG)
- T105: BA Chinese and German year 2 (BA/CHG)
- T114: BA Chinese and German with French year 2 (BA/CHGF)
- T115: BA Chinese & German with Italian year 2 (BA/CHGI)
- T126: Chinese & German with Intl Exp year 2 (BA/CHGIE)
- T116: BA Chinese & German with Spanish year 2 (BA/CHGS)
- T118: BA Chinese & Italian with German year 2 (BA/CHIG)
- T121: BA Chinese & Spanish with German year 2 (BA/CHSG)
- WR92: BA German and Creative Studies year 2 (BA/CSTG)
- W8R8: BA Creative Writing and Modern Languages year 2 (BA/CWML)
- QR3F: BA English Language and German year 2 (BA/ELG)
- R901: BA French & German with Italian year 2 (BA/FGI4)
- R913: BA French & German with Spanish year 2 (BA/FGS4)
- R918: BA French & Italian with German year 2 (BA/FIG4)
- R1R2: BA French with German year 2 (BA/FRWGER)
- R914: BA French & Spanish with German year 2 (BA/FSG4)
- PR32: BA Film Studies and German year 2 (BA/FSGER)
- RR12: BA German/French year 2 (BA/G4F)
- NR42: BA German/Accounting year 2 (BA/GA)
- NR32: BA German/Banking year 2 (BA/GB)
- R2N2: BA German with Business Management year 2 (BA/GBM)
- R2NC: BA German with Business Studies year 2 (BA/GBS)
- T109: BA German with Chinese year 2 (BA/GCH)
- MR92: BA Criminology&CrimJustice/German year 2 (BA/GCR)
- LR12: BA German/Economics year 2 (BA/GEC)
- 3N7S: BA German and English Literature year 2 (BA/GEL)
- R200: BA German year 2 (BA/GER)
- R2W8: BA German with Creative Writing year 2 (BA/GERCW)
- R2N1: BA German with Marketing year 2 (BA/GERMKT)
- R2R1: BA German with French year 2 (BA/GERWFR)
- R12R: BA German and French with International Experience year 2 (BA/GFIE)
- R2W6: BA German with Film Studies year 2 (BA/GFS)
- RR23: BA German/Italian year 2 (BA/GI)
- R2R3: BA German with Italian year 2 (BA/GI4)
- R921: BA German & Italian with French year 2 (BA/GIF4)
- R924: BA German & Italian with Spanish year 2 (BA/GIS4)
- R2P5: BA German with Journalism year 2 (BA/GJO)
- R2P4: BA German with Media Studies year 2 (BA/GMST)
- R2C8: BA German with Psychology year 2 (BA/GPSY)
- RR24: BA German/Spanish (4 years) year 2 (BA/GS)
- R2R4: BA German with Spanish year 2 (BA/GS4)
- R922: BA German & Spanish with French year 2 (BA/GSF4)
- R923: BA German & Spanish with Italian year 2 (BA/GSI4)
- 8Y64: BA German and Spanish (with International Experience) year 2 (BA/GSIE)
- R2C6: BA German and Sports Science year 2 (BA/GSPS)
- RV21: BA History/German year 2 (BA/HG)
- R927: BA Italian & Spanish with German year 2 (BA/ISG4)
- QR12: BA Linguistics/German year 2 (BA/LG)
- Q3R8: BA Linguistics and Modern Languages year 2 (BA/LML)
- N5R2: BA Marketing with German year 2 (BA/MKTGER)
- NR52: BA Marketing and German (4 year) year 2 (BA/MKTGER4)
- R800: BA Modern Languages year 2 (BA/ML)
- R807: BA Modern Languages & Criminology & Criminal Justice year 2 (BA/MLCCJ)
- R805: BA Modern Languages & Cymraeg year 2 (BA/MLCYM)
- R801: BA Modern Languages and English Literature year 2 (BA/MLEL)
- R803: BA Modern Languages & Film Studies year 2 (BA/MLFS)
- R804: BA Modern Languages & History year 2 (BA/MLH)
- R802: BA Modern Languages & Media Studies year 2 (BA/MLMS)
- R806: BA Modern Languages & Philosophy, Ethics & Religion year 2 (BA/MLPRE)
- P3R2: BA Media Studies with German year 2 (BA/MSG)
- WR32: BA Music/German year 2 (BA/MUGE)
- W3R8: BA Music and Modern Languages year 2 (BA/MUSML)
- VVR2: BA Philosophy and Religion and German year 2 (BA/PRG)
- R4R2: BA Spanish with German year 2 (BA/SPG)
- QR52: BA Cymraeg/German year 2 (BA/WG)
- NBR2: BSc Business Management with German year 2 (BSC/BMG)
- M117: LLB Law with German (European Experience) year 2 (LLB/LGE)