Animal Husbandry Placement
Rhedir gan School of Natural Sciences
20.000 Credyd neu 10.000 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Mrs Rhea Burton-Roberts
The aim of this module is to provide Zoology with Animal Management students with the opportunity to acquire animal husbandry experience within the industry, thus enhancing their prospects of graduate-level employment. Students are responsible for finding their own placements, although a number of local placement provisions exist, including opportunities at our own animal facilities and at Henfaes Research Centre. No two student experiences will be the same, and the range of activities and possibly placement format will differ. However, the placement will link theory and practice, dovetailing the student’s academic studies with practical hands on animal management experience. Placement providers will be asked to assess the performance of students while they are on placement, reporting back to the module conveners. Students will produce a reflective portfolio evaluating the work of the organization and that of themselves. This module contributes towards the continuous professional development encouraged by the Bangor Employability Award (BEA) with points awarded for workshop attendance (pre and post placement).
Students complete a placement (15-20 days) in the summer between their second and third years. The placement must be approved by the module organisers and the University before work begins. Progress will be monitored during the placement via email. Students will attend post-placement meetings, individual tutorials and reflective workshops upon their return to Bangor in the first semester. Thus contributing to the development and submission of a placement portfolio.
Grade A- to A** Portfolio describes the placement organisation in detail, evaluates its position in its sector, explains in detail the work done by the student while on placement, makes critical and constructive suggestions for improvement at organisational and personal levels, and shows thoughtful engagement with the process of self-reflection.
Grade D- to D+ Portfolio describes the placement organisation, explains the work done by the student while on placement, and shows some attempt at self-reflection.
Grade C- to B+ Portfolio describes the placement organisation and explains its position in its sector, explains in detail the work done by the student while on placement, makes some suggestions for improvement at organisational and personal levels, and shows engagement with the process of self-reflection.
Demonstrate an understanding of the organisation and the industry; particularly the historical development of animal management practices and the handling of animals.
Review the provision of animal husbandry within the organisation, and identify targeted areas for achievable improvement and practical innovations, with reference to best practice or collection development.
Enhance employability through the development of practical and theoretical skills relating to animal husbandry.
Demonstrate an understanding of the importance of enrichment provision, through research-informed design.
Reflect on personal performance within the placement, whilst identifying target areas for continuous professional development, communicated in written form.
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
Private and guided self-study
6 * 1 hour workshops 4 * 2 hour workshops (with Careers/ Employability service)
20 * 7 hour days on placement
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Ymwybyddiaeth o ddiogelwch - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch amgylchedd a hyder o ran cadw at reoliadau iechyd a diogelwch
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Gwaith Tîm - Gallu cydweithio'n adeiladol ag eraill ar dasg gyffredin, ac/neu fod yn rhan o dîm gweithio o ddydd i ddydd
- Rheloaeth - Gallu defnyddio, cydlynu a rheoli adnoddau (dynol, ffisegol ac/neu ariannol)
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
- Arweinyddiaeth - Gallu arwain a rheoli, datblygu cynlluniau gweithredu ac amcanion, cynnig arweiniad a chyfarwyddyd i eraill, ac ymdopi â'r pwysau sy'n gysylltiedig ag awdurdod o'r fath
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- Recognize the moral, ethical and social issues relating to the subject.
- Demonstrate awareness of the importance of risk assessment and relevant legislation
- Engagement with current subject developments and their application.
- Engage in debate and/or discussion with specialists and non-specialists using appropriate language.
- Demonstrate the independence and skills required for continuing professional development
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- C335: BSc Zoology with Animal Management year 3 (BSC/ZAM)
- C38P: BSc Zoology with Animal Management with Placement Year year 4 (BSC/ZAMP)
- C336: MZool Zoology with Animal Management year 3 (MZOOL/ZAM)
- C39P: MZool Zoology with Animal Management with Placement Year year 4 (MZOOL/ZAMP)