Rhedir gan School of Natural Sciences
10.000 Credyd neu 5.000 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Dr Neal Hockley
- To help students gain an appreciation of the importance and limitations of policy in determining the way in which the environment is managed.
- To give students an understanding of the policy-making process in the UK and internationally, the influences upon it, and its impacts.
- To equip students with the concepts and skills with which to understand, critically analyse and contribute to the policy-making process, including theoretical and empirical insights into this process from economics, political economy and political science.
- To provide opportunities for students to critically analyse environmental issues, in essays and seminars, on the basis of efficacy, efficiency and equity.
Policy and the environment. Reasons for and against government intervention. Basic concepts of government, sovereignty, politics, democracy. General features of political systems and governments in the UK and internationally. The role of diverse actors in the policy process: including politicians and parliaments, governments, bureaucracies and agencies, NGOs, media, interest groups and supranational bodies. Theories of politics and policy-making, including international relations. Efficacy, efficiency and equity of environmental policy.
Grade A- to A** Examination answers Clearly summarise information given during the module (including directed reading), and acquired through wider study, and present it in a way that directly answers the question displaying very high critical and synthetic ability. Assessment Provide an exceptionally clear synthesis of (and cite sources for) a wide range of information relevant to the chosen policy area. Present it in a way that directly answers the question displaying very high critical and synthetic ability.
Grade D- to D+ Examination answers Clearly summarise information given during the module (including directed reading) and apply it in a way that is relevant to the question. Display a basic understanding of the issues involved. Assessment Clearly summarise (and cite sources for) information relevant to the chosen policy area and apply it in a way that is relevant to the question. Display a basic understanding of the issues involved.
Grade C- to B+ Examination answers Clearly summarise information given during the module (including directed reading) and apply it in a way that directly answers the question with coherent argument and critical synthesis of the issues involved. Assessment Provide a clear synthesis of (and cite sources for) information relevant to the chosen policy area. and apply it in a way that directly answers the question with coherent argument and critical synthesis of the issues involved.
Describe and critically evaluate major features of the policy-making process in the UK and internationally; the influences upon that process and its impacts.
Demonstrate knowledge of key concepts important for analysing environmental policy.
Be able to use these key concepts to analyse real-life environmental policy case studies.
Summarise and communicate policy-relevant information in a professional, logical and coherent manner, including arguing for or against a particular policy.
Understand the reasons for or against government intervention in environmental issues.
|Policy Analysis Report 2||75.00|
|Policy Analysis Report 1||25.00|
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Gwaith Tîm - Gallu cydweithio'n adeiladol ag eraill ar dasg gyffredin, ac/neu fod yn rhan o dîm gweithio o ddydd i ddydd
- Mentora - Gallu cefnogi, helpu, arwain, ysbrydoli ac/neu hyfforddi eraill
- Rheloaeth - Gallu defnyddio, cydlynu a rheoli adnoddau (dynol, ffisegol ac/neu ariannol)
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- Recognize and apply appropriate theories and concepts from a range of disciplines.
- Consider issues from a range of interdisciplinary perspectives.
- Apply subject knowledge to the understanding and addressing of problems.
- Appreciation of the reciprocal nature of human-environmental relationships.
- Engage in debate and/or discussion with specialists and non-specialists using appropriate language.
- Understand the provisional nature of information and appreciate competing and alternative explanations.
- Recognize the moral, ethical and social issues relating to the subject.
Goblygiadau o ran adnoddau ar gyfer myfyrwyr
Rhestrau Darllen Bangor (Talis)http://readinglists.bangor.ac.uk/modules/dxx-3615.html
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Opsiynol mewn cyrsiau:
- L700: BA Geography year 3 (BA/GEOG)
- L702: BA Geography (4 yr with placement) year 4 (BA/GEOG4)
- L701: BA Geography (with International Experience) year 4 (BA/GEOGIE)
- C183: BSC Appl.Terrestrial & Marine Ec 4 year 4 (BSC/APTME)
- C185: BSc Applied Terrestrial & Marine Ecology with Intl Exp (5yr) year 4 (BSC/APTMIE)
- C180: BSc Appl. Terrestrial &Marine Ec year 3 (BSC/ATME)
- C184: BSc App Terrestrial & Marine Ecology with Intl Experience year 4 (BSC/ATMEIE)
- C13P: BSc Applied Terrestrial and Marine Ecology with Placement Yr year 4 (BSC/ATMEP)
- DDK5: BSC Conservation & Forest Ecosys. year 3 (BSC/CFE)
- DDL5: BSC Conservation and Forest Ecosys year 4 (BSC/CFE4)
- D503: BSc Conservation with Forestry with International Experience year 4 (BSC/CFIE)
- 5DKD: BSc Conservation with Forestry year 3 (BSC/CWF)
- 5DLD: BSc Conservation with Forestry (four year) year 4 (BSC/CWF4)
- D447: BSC Environmental Conservation year 3 (BSC/ECON)
- D448: BSC Environmental Conservation year 4 (BSC/ECON4)
- D451: BSc Environmental Conservation (International Experience) year 4 (BSC/ENIE)
- F900: BSC Environmental Science year 3 (BSC/ES)
- F901: BSc Environmental Science (4 yr with placement) year 4 (BSC/ES4)
- F90F: BSc Environmental Science year 3 (BSC/ESF)
- 8U71: BSc Environmental Science (with International Experience) year 4 (BSC/ESIE)
- D501: BSc Forestry (with sandwich placement) year 4 (BSC/F)
- D502: BSc Forestry with International Experience year 4 (BSC/FIE)
- D500: BSC Forestry year 3 (BSC/FOR)
- D50P: BSc Forestry with Placement Year year 4 (BSC/FP)
- F803: BSc Geography with Environmental Forestry year 3 (BSC/GEF)
- F804: BSc Geography with Environmental Forestry year 4 (BSC/GEF4)
- F807: BSc Geography with Environmental Forestry with Intl Exp year 4 (BSC/GEFIE)
- F800: BSC Geography year 3 (BSC/GEOG)
- F806: BSc Geography (4 yr with placement) year 4 (BSC/GEOG4)
- F802: BSc Geography (with International Experience) year 4 (BSC/GEOGIE)
- F710: BSC Marine Environmental Studies year 3 (BSC/MES)
- F713: BSc Marine Environmental Stud with International Experience year 4 (BSC/MESIE)
- F79P: BSc Marine Environmental Studies year 4 (BSC/MESP)
- F850: Master of Environmental Science year 3 (M/ENVSCI)
- F851: MEnvSci Environmental Science with International Experience year 4 (MENVSC/ESIE)
- D512: MFor Forestry year 4 (MFOR/FOR)
- D514: MFor Forestry with International Experience year 5 (MFOR/FORIE)
- D513: MFor Forestry (with placement year) year 5 (MFOR/FORP)
- F801: MGeog Geography year 3 (MGEOG/G)
- F805: MGeog Geography with International Experience year 4 (MGEOG/GIE)