Psychology of Sport Performance
Rhedir gan School of Human and Behavioural Sciences
10.000 Credyd neu 5.000 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Dr James Hardy
Increasing media attention and financial investment has been channeled towards the psychological factors facilitating sports performance. The long overdue acceptance of the potential beneficial role of sport psychology has resulted. In this module we will consider factors that can affect sport performance and how they are assessed. Given that training and competing in sport does not occur in a social vacuum, we place an understanding of both individual (e.g., stress, confidence) and team (e.g., group dynamics) factors influencing performance in the sports domain. Such factors form the bedrock of “practicing” sport psychology.
Topics covered include ...
Stress and performance: multidimensional anxiety theory, cusp catastrophe model
Confidence: self-efficacy, sport confidence, catastrophe model
Group dynamics: roles, team cohesion
Lectures, with small group work will form the basis for the module. Theoretical content will be presented and discussed along with the practical significance of specific theories for performance enhancement. Group work will be used in a variety of ways including problem solving in relation to set scenarios and solution generation. Regular use of the module's blackboard site (e.g., MCQs, reading) will be advantageous to effective learning as would consistent lecture attendance. Lectures will normally last approx. one and a half hours.
D- Will have demonstrated an acceptable ability to analyse and interpret information in relation to their effect on performance. Will also have a satisfactory understanding of theories covered within the module as well as some knowledge of how to assess certain performance-related factors.
C- Will have demonstrated a good ability to analyse and interpret information in relation to their effect on performance. Will also have a good understanding of theories covered within the module as well as a sound knowledge of how to assess certain performance-related factors.
A- Will have demonstrated an excellent ability to analyse and interpret information in relation to their effect on performance. Will also have an excellent understanding of theories covered within the module as well as an in-depth knowledge of how to assess certain performance-related factors.
Analyse and interpret information and identify factors that may affect performance.
Understand how these performance-related factors can be measured.
To be able to link these identified factors to specific theories and models.
Demonstrate an understanding of specific theories and models.
To be able to use reflection skills to better understand how topics are related to the "real" world.
|ARHOLIAD||formal exam part A||14.80|
|GWAITH CWRS||anxiety reflection - 9th Nov||10.00|
|GWAITH CWRS||confidence or group dynamics reflection||10.00|
|formal exam parts B, C & D||65.20|
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Rhifedd - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio rhifau ar lefelau priodol o gywirdeb
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Gwaith Tîm - Gallu cydweithio'n adeiladol ag eraill ar dasg gyffredin, ac/neu fod yn rhan o dîm gweithio o ddydd i ddydd
- Mentora - Gallu cefnogi, helpu, arwain, ysbrydoli ac/neu hyfforddi eraill
- Rheloaeth - Gallu defnyddio, cydlynu a rheoli adnoddau (dynol, ffisegol ac/neu ariannol)
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
- Arweinyddiaeth - Gallu arwain a rheoli, datblygu cynlluniau gweithredu ac amcanion, cynnig arweiniad a chyfarwyddyd i eraill, ac ymdopi â'r pwysau sy'n gysylltiedig ag awdurdod o'r fath
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- research and assess paradigms, theories, principles, concepts and factual information, and apply such skills in explaining and solving problems
- critically assess and evaluate data and evidence in the context of research methodologies and data sources
- apply knowledge to the solution of familiar and unfamiliar problems
- develop a sustained reasoned argument, perhaps challenging previously held assumptions
- demonstrate effective written and/or oral communication and presentation skills
- work effectively independently and with others
- take and demonstrate responsibility for their own learning and continuing personal and professional development
- self-appraise and reflect on practice
- develop transferable skills of relevance to careers outside of sport, health and exercise sciences.
- communicate succinctly at a level appropriate to different audiences.
- develop knowledge of psychometric instruments
- accurately interpret case study data
- develop justifiable and/or evidence-based interventions
- develop effective learning aids
Rhestrau Darllen Bangor (Talis)http://readinglists.bangor.ac.uk/modules/jxh-2022.html
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- C611: BSc Adventure Sport Science year 2 (BSC/ASS)
- C680: BSc Sport and Exercise Psychology year 2 (BSC/SEXP)
- CB69: BSC Sport, Health & Exercise Sci. year 2 (BSC/SHES)
- C600: BSC Sports Science year 2 (BSC/SPS)
- C60F: BSc Sports Science year 2 (BSC/SPSF)
- C604: BSc Sports Science (with International Experience) year 2 (BSC/SSIE)
- C602: BSC Sport Science (ODA) year 2 (BSC/SSOA)
- C612: MSci Adventure Sport Science year 2 (MSCI/ASS)
- C608: MSci Sport, Health and Exercise Sciences year 2 (MSCI/SHS)
- C607: MSci Sport Science year 2 (MSCI/SS)
- C609: MSci Sport Science (Outdoor Activities) year 2 (MSCI/SSOA)
Opsiynol mewn cyrsiau:
- CR6H: BA Italian/Sports Science year 2 (BA/ITSSC)
- CR61: BA Sports Science/French year 2 (BA/SPSFR)
- CR62: BA Sports Science/German year 2 (BA/SPSG)
- CR6K: BA Spanish/Sports Science year 2 (BA/SPSSC)
- CQ65: BA Cymraeg/Sports Science year 2 (BA/SPSW)
- C651: BSC Sport- Health & Physical Educ year 2 (BSC/SHPE)
- C6N1: BSc Sport Science & Business Management year 2 (BSC/SSB)
- C6N5: BSc Sport Science & Marketing year 2 (BSC/SSM)
- CN5P: Sport Science and Marketing with Placement Year year 2 (BSC/SSMP)