Research Project Proposal
Rhedir gan School of Human and Behavioural Sciences
20.000 Credyd neu 10.000 Credyd ECTS
Semester 1 a 2
Trefnydd: Dr Tommie Du Preez
Project design and effective planning are integral skill-sets for many employability pathways. This module has been developed to help you plan and design your own project in an area of interest to you. This choice may be based on career aspirations, previous experience and expertise, or equally, just because you are passionate about a particular topic area. However, your project proposal should be driven by a research question, which is designed to answer an impactful and pertinent question, still unanswered within the current sports science evidence base. This module will help prepare you for a Research Project module, where you will be given the opportunity to gain ethical approval for and carry out your proposed project.
This module provides the opportunity to work closely with, and be supported by, an expert member of staff on a one-to-one or small group basis to help develop your ideas. You will be supported to advance your understanding of the current knowledge base in an area of interest to you, as well as your problem-solving, writing and presentation skills in preparation to be able to articulate ideas effectively to relevant parties e.g. practitioners, academics.
The research project will be assessed holistically for content, critical thinking, structure and style. Work will be awarded as good / at pass level / threshold (C- to C+) where most criteria are met to a good standard; there may be a wide range in the quality of different components of the research project proposal
The research project will be assessed holistically for content, critical thinking, structure and style. Work will be awarded as excellent (A* - A-.) where most or all of these criteria are met to an exceptionally high standard; the remainder are met to an excellent standard.
The research project proposal will be assessed holistically for content, critical thinking, structure and style. A mark of good to very good i.e. (B+ to B-) will be awarded where most or all criteria are met to a good or very good/high standard. This grade will equate to a merit level of work.
Demonstrate a range of communication skills appropriate to the outcomes of postgraduate study, including the production of a verbal proposal presentation and written proposal.
Provide evidence of a critical and analytical approach to how scientific data might be collected, organised and interpreted.
Critically appraise ideas and empirical findings in order to formulate research hypotheses that address a chosen research question.
Develop and propose an appropriate methodological approach in line with your research question.
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
Students will work with a member of staff via online supervision to develop their project proposal. It is completely down to the student to maintain contact with their supervisor. This may be through a combination of methods e.g. Skype meetings, telephone calls and email.
Students will be expected to complete a substantial amount of independent study. This will be made up of individual reading, writing practice, assignment specific preparation and project proposal development.
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Rhifedd - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio rhifau ar lefelau priodol o gywirdeb
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Ymwybyddiaeth o ddiogelwch - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch amgylchedd a hyder o ran cadw at reoliadau iechyd a diogelwch
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Gwaith Tîm - Gallu cydweithio'n adeiladol ag eraill ar dasg gyffredin, ac/neu fod yn rhan o dîm gweithio o ddydd i ddydd
- Mentora - Gallu cefnogi, helpu, arwain, ysbrydoli ac/neu hyfforddi eraill
- Gofalu - Dangos consyrn am eraill; gofalu am blant, pobl ag anableddau ac/neu'r henoed
- Rheloaeth - Gallu defnyddio, cydlynu a rheoli adnoddau (dynol, ffisegol ac/neu ariannol)
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
- Arweinyddiaeth - Gallu arwain a rheoli, datblygu cynlluniau gweithredu ac amcanion, cynnig arweiniad a chyfarwyddyd i eraill, ac ymdopi â'r pwysau sy'n gysylltiedig ag awdurdod o'r fath
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- research and assess paradigms, theories, principles, concepts and factual information, and apply such skills in explaining and solving problems
- critically assess and evaluate data and evidence in the context of research methodologies and data sources
- describe, synthesise, interpret, analyse and evaluate information and data relevant to a professional or vocational context
- plan, design, execute and communicate a sustained piece of independent intellectual work, which provides evidence of critical engagement with, and interpretation of, appropriate data
- apply knowledge to the solution of familiar and unfamiliar problems
- develop a sustained reasoned argument, perhaps challenging previously held assumptions
- demonstrate effective written and/or oral communication and presentation skills
- work effectively independently and with others
- take and demonstrate responsibility for their own learning and continuing personal and professional development
- self-appraise and reflect on practice
- plan and design practical activities using appropriate techniques and procedures whilst demonstrating high levels of relevant skills
- project manage and execute practical activities using appropriate techniques and procedures whilst demonstrating high levels of relevant skills
- recognise and respond to moral, ethical, sustainability and safety issues that directly pertain to the context of study including relevant legislation and professional codes of conduct
- undertake fieldwork with continuous regard for safety and risk assessment.
- demonstrate an understanding of the philosophical basis of scientific paradigms
- demonstrate evidence of competence in the scientific methods of enquiry, and interpretation and analysis of relevant data and statistical outputs.
- develop transferable skills of relevance to careers outside of sport, health and exercise sciences.
- communicate succinctly at a level appropriate to different audiences.
- develop knowledge of psychometric instruments
- accurately interpret case study data
- develop justifiable and/or evidence-based interventions
- develop effective learning aids
- demonstrate effective robust data collection methods
This module does not have a specific reading list attached to it as this will be dependent on the chosen project topic area. Supervisors will support students to develop an appropriate reading list.
Suggested statistics reading support:
Fields, A. (2018). Discovering Statistics Using IBM SPSS (5th Ed.). SAGE. Best, S. (2012). Understanding and Doing Successful Research; Data Collection and Analysis for the Social Sciences (1st Ed.). Pearson.