Teaching, appraisal of learning in different settings and evaluation
Rhedir gan School of Medical and Health Sciences
20.000 Credyd neu 10.000 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Mr Merf Williams
This module will provide the students with an understanding of the teaching, learning and assessment theory that should underpin their own teaching. Students will gain the skills to appraise their own teaching and learning through personal reflection and peer review. The module is designed to enable students to reflect on how they communicate with learners, and identify and then accomodate learners with different needs.
Key Concepts in adult learning theory
- Learning styles
- Delivery of teaching
- Forms of assessment
- Use of technology
- Appraisal of clinical teaching in a variety of settings
- Goal setting
- Evaluation of teaching
- Critical appraisal of session
Pass (50 – 59%):
Students will demonstrate a basic level of knowledge, understanding, and skills required for meeting the learning outcomes. Students will demonstrate a general level of understanding of the practical and theoretical perspectives and are able to make some references to relevant literature. For the critical analysis, students will have attained a basic knowledge of material contained in set texts or reading materials with the links between theory and own practice fairly clear in parts. Students will have satisfactorily completed essential assessment exercises. Written work will be acceptable but with a number of errors evident.
Distinction (70% and over):
Students will demonstrate a high level of knowledge, understanding, and skills for meeting the learning outcomes. Students will demonstrate a high level of analysis of own experience in relation to the theories and applications of the theories. There will be evidence of attaining an advanced knowledge of material beyond that contained in set texts and has done considerable wider reading. All completed assessment exercises will be at a high standard. Written work will be clear and concise, without errors.
Higher A marks require clear evidence of wider reading and critical thinking.
Merit (60 -69%):
Students will demonstrate a sound level of knowledge, understanding, and skills required for meeting the learning outcomes. Students will demonstrate familiarity with and the ability to apply a range of approaches, methods and conceptual tools. Self-reflection and practice improvement will be based on reasonable theoretical rationale. There will be evidence of attaining a sound knowledge of material contained in set texts or reading materials and undertaking wider reading. All completed assessment exercises will be at a proficient level. Written work will be of good quality, only with minor errors but largely based on the module materials with limited evidene of wider reading and critical thinking.
Students will be able to design and plan critically analyse the design and planning learning activities underpinned by relevant theory
Criticall analyse best practices of the assessment process in medical education, and provide meaningful, constructive feedback to learners
To assess and prepare effective learning environments for individuals and groups of learners
Be able to critically review and analyse own style of teaching using reflection
Appreciate the clinical setting as the learning enviroment, and adapt use of resources efficiently and effectively to meet individual learning needs.
|CYFLWYNIAD UNIGOL||Teaching session and peer review||
Students create a teaching session including session plan and assessment The students present their plan to their cohort and will be assessed by their peers through the completion of a teaching evaluation form Focussing on Session Plan Learning outcomes Flow of presentation Assessment designed from content of Power Point
|Written assignment, including essay||Reflective Essay||
Students reflect on a teaching session they have undertaken using relevant theory and literature to support their argument/statements In particular commenting on Preparation The learning environment Student Engagement Reflective Analysis Action Plan Conclusion
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
1 x 2 hour lectures to introduce the module and theory
8 hours seminars/discussion forums
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Rhifedd - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio rhifau ar lefelau priodol o gywirdeb
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Gwaith Tîm - Gallu cydweithio'n adeiladol ag eraill ar dasg gyffredin, ac/neu fod yn rhan o dîm gweithio o ddydd i ddydd
- Mentora - Gallu cefnogi, helpu, arwain, ysbrydoli ac/neu hyfforddi eraill
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.