Leadership and Teaching
Rhedir gan School of Medical and Health Sciences
10.000 Credyd neu 5.000 Credyd ECTS
Semester 1 a 2
Trefnydd: Dr Jenny Byast
This module aims to describe the management structure/hierarchy of the NHS in Wales and local governance/line management at the Hospital and Community level. This will include the difference between management structures in comparison to Wales, England and Scotland.
The module will introduce the role of the PA within the team as a leader and manager. The acquisition of knowledge and high quality experience empowers the PA to be an important individual within teams, teaching and guiding colleagues and patients. Apply the theories and practice of different approaches to leadership and management. Appreciate the importance of effective teaching and the teaching opportunities that are available and how they can be utilised in the clinical environment. Learn how to engage and influence others. Learn fundamental skills related to teaching and presentation.
This module will include subjects included in the PA curriculum content as appropriate for the cohort. Key topics include NHS structure and governance including management and clinical structures within NHS. An exploration of leadership styles and skills and management skills that includes effective team, resource and time management. The importance of the PA as a teacher for patients and colleagues. Development of presentation skills. The importance of professionalism and self-awareness in practice.
Category B (60%-69%)
A good student should have a thorough factual knowledge about the hierarchy in the NHS. They should demonstrate understanding of the need to act in a professional manner at all times., and be able to detail examples where appropriate. The work presented is largely based on the lecture materials. Limited evidence of wider reading and critical analysis.
Category C (50% -59%)
A threshold student should have basic knowledge of the essential facts and key concepts of the hierarchy in the NHS. They should demonstrate understanding of the need to act in a professional manner at all times. The work is only based on lecture material. No evidence of wider reading or critical thinking.
Category A (70% - 100%):
An excellent student should have a thorough factual knowledge across all aspects of the module including working knowledge of the NHS. They should be able to demonstrate a high level of working as a professional, and be able to detail examples where appropriate, supported by additional reading and knowledge drawn from other modules. The work presents evidence of critical thinking. Especially for the higher A marks, critical analysis and wider reading is essential.
Understand the importance of professionalism and self-awareness
Understand the structure of the NHS
Develop improved skills to manage people and tasks more effectively.
Develop teaching and presentation skills.
Understand and demonstrate the role of the PA in primary/secondary care
Demonstrate an understanding of the differences between leaders and managers
|Job description and person specification||45.00|
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
Students will spend private study time in reading, completing coursework
Teaching mode will consist of group activities, formal lectures and workshops 5x3 hours
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Rheloaeth - Gallu defnyddio, cydlynu a rheoli adnoddau (dynol, ffisegol ac/neu ariannol)
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.