Social & Behavioural Sciences
Rhedir gan School of Medical and Health Sciences
20.000 Credyd neu 10.000 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Dr Jaci Huws
The module aims to develop students' knowledge and critical understanding of social, psychological, and cultural influences affecting health. The module aims to develop comprehensive knowledge and critical understanding of health and well-being, and the determinants that influence and impact on people's health and well-being. A critical exploration of key sociological and psychological theories and research will enable students to understand what influences health behaviour, and the factors that are associated with health behaviour change. These skills will enable students to understand and challenge issues that impact upon the sustainability of health. PLEASE NOTE: Due to Covid 19, the module will be delivered using a blend of online teaching approaches for all students through Blackboard Ultra. Students will be required to have access to IT and up to date computer and software, including a microphone and headphone or speakers.
This module explores the social, psychological, and cultural influences affecting people's health and health-related behaviours. Content focuses on:
- Definitions of health and well-being;
- Behaviour Change - Psychological Perspectives;
- Behaviour Change - Sociological Perspectives;
- Theories and Models of Behaviour Change;
- Social Determinants of Health;
- Social Inequalities.
A* - A-
Demonstrate excellent knowledge and understanding of relevant material, using it to answer the question set and showing independent thinking. Excellent use of material from the module and other relevant information to support arguments; references are drawn on appropriately to support discussion presented fully and correctly in both text and references list. Excellent awareness of conflicting arguments and ideas and a good attempt to address them; ability to analyse and to critically evaluate material. Excellent organisation of the major points with very good signposting and balance between sections with fluent use of written language.
C+ - C-
Demonstrates some knowledge and understanding of relevant material for this module, and a limited use of it to answer the question set with little independent thinking. Limited use of material from the module and other relevant information to support arguments; most of the references are drawn on appropriately to support discussion and presented correctly in both text and references list. Limited awareness of conflicting arguments and ideas but no real attempt to address them; some limited ability to analyse and to critically evaluate material. A framework for the assignment is apparent but logical flow and coherence not always consistent with acceptable use of written language.
B+ - B-
Demonstrate adequate knowledge and understanding of relevant material, using it to answer the question set and showing independent thinking. Good use of material from the module and other relevant information to support arguments; references are drawn on appropriately to support discussion and are presented fully and correctly in both text and references list. Some awareness of conflicting arguments and ideas and a good attempt to address them; some ability to analyse and to critically evaluate material. Sensible use of the major points with very good signposting and balance between sections with good use of written language.
- Demonstrate a critical understanding of the prominent theories, models and concepts relating to health, and health-related behaviour.
- Critically evaluate the factors that influence health-behaviour change, demonstrating an in-depth and critical understanding of psychosocial perspectives.
- Critically analyse health and wellbeing, and evaluate the social determinants that affect these.
- Critically discuss the factors that influence health-related behaviours.
|Newspaper article for a lay audience||20.00|
|Issues affecting health behaviour and change.||60.00|
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
Lead lectures & group work: The lectures comprise formal presentations, class discussions, seminars, and group exercises. Lectures are interactive and students are encouraged to actively participate and contribute.
Lectures are supported with additional academic materials and resources. Students are also encouraged to: use library and multi-media resources (such as the Internet, newspapers, radio, television) and engage in Blackboard Group discussions. Students are encouraged to use electronic learning resources. Relevant lecture material, reading lists, and a list of relevant Internet resources are available on the course specific Blackboard site; students are also asked to add any relevant or useful material to this module site.
Tutorials: Students are required to attend individual and group tutorials to facilitate the development of critical appraisal skills.
Students will be required to lead and engage in Discussion Boards and Seminars. Discussion Boards are led by the students, and are monitored and moderated by the Module Organiser.
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Rhifedd - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio rhifau ar lefelau priodol o gywirdeb
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Ymwybyddiaeth o ddiogelwch - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch amgylchedd a hyder o ran cadw at reoliadau iechyd a diogelwch
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Gwaith Tîm - Gallu cydweithio'n adeiladol ag eraill ar dasg gyffredin, ac/neu fod yn rhan o dîm gweithio o ddydd i ddydd
- Rheloaeth - Gallu defnyddio, cydlynu a rheoli adnoddau (dynol, ffisegol ac/neu ariannol)
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
Goblygiadau o ran adnoddau ar gyfer myfyrwyr
Access to a computer, and the internet.
Rhestrau Darllen Bangor (Talis)http://readinglists.bangor.ac.uk/modules/nhs-4004.html
Reading lists will be available and updated via Talis for each academic year. This online database is module specific, and contains references to material that is current and topical (and includes electronically accessible material). http://readinglists.bangor.ac.uk/modules/nhs-4004.html